Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: L Street Bike Lanes

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I was actually hoping to use this lane next time I take a kid to the doctor - I assume the trailer is going to be too wide if you're not sure about a trike.
    They're called "flex-posts" -- maybe your trailer will put them to the test of their flexiness!

Post Thanks / Like

I just posted a newer video of footage I shot yesterday of the L, 15th, and Pennsylvania Ave NW cycletracks. The video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTyPRIdj-AQ (Note: I meant for the video to be real-time, so you may find it painstakingly slow to watch)

Comparing this trip to my experience 2 weeks ago:

On the positive side, it's a huge improvement over what it was like before. Once they were able to get some more paint down (the green lanes are very nice) and bollards set up, the lane is much more defined. I (almost) did not find any cars accidentally making their way into the lane. I think once people get used to the merge, it will be a very nice addition to the 15th St and Pennsylvania cycletracks. I'm very optimistic for the impact the M Street cycletrack will have next year, given how this one is progressing.

On the negative side, it looks like there's still some paint left to be laid, and cars are still getting used to having to merge in order to turn left. The merge still seems to be the biggest obstacle to this cycletrack's success. I think a diagonal arrow on the lane before the merge would help drivers. Also, I do not like the use of double bollards at the beginning of each part of the cycletrack because they make things a little tight. I think only one bollard would be necessary there. Of course, as you'll see, some people still like to use the cycletrack as their own personal waiting areas

So far, so good.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

New situation for me: I use the L Street lane daily, but yesterday I went east of 18th for the first time. I wanted to link to the 15th street cycletrack to go southbound. When I got to 15th street, there were cars to the left of me turning left, I was in the green cycle lane, and there were cars to the right of me going straight. Our light was green. But I wanted to get into the 15th street track. Luckily there were no riders behind me (the lane is very narrow right there), so I just stopped and waited in the L Street lane until the light changed. But what's the proper technique?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    New situation for me: I use the L Street lane daily, but yesterday I went east of 18th for the first time. I wanted to link to the 15th street cycletrack to go southbound. When I got to 15th street, there were cars to the left of me turning left, I was in the green cycle lane, and there were cars to the right of me going straight. Our light was green. But I wanted to get into the 15th street track. Luckily there were no riders behind me (the lane is very narrow right there), so I just stopped and waited in the L Street lane until the light changed. But what's the proper technique?
    I would think you have two choices. First, merge right eventually into the rightmost traffic lane and turn right regularly. Second, move left into the left turn lane and become a pedestrian and get into the southbound cycletrack on the north side of L (or use the crosswalk to cross L).

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the easiest way to turn right on 15th from the L St lane is to stay left like you're a car turning left, then pull carefully into the crosswalk north of L. When the light on 15th goes green, cross L.

Post Thanks / Like

There are supposed to be bike boxes at the front of every East Bound L-Street intersection to accommodate cyclists who need to get over ahead of time to turn right up the road.

On a different note, I've been noticing a lot of cars taking up half the green painted bike lane when turning left. Sometimes it's a tighter squeeze than I would recommend trying to ride in.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanEngineer View Post
    There are supposed to be bike boxes at the front of every East Bound L-Street intersection to accommodate cyclists who need to get over ahead of time to turn right up the road.
    Yes, but the light was green and I was the only one stopping. What I've learned is that I need to plan ahead and get over the block before or merge into the left turn lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    They're called "flex-posts" -- maybe your trailer will put them to the test of their flexiness!
    flexy like this? i love this video, can watch it over & over (make sure you have sound on)

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ridden since last week due to a nice cold and work obligations, but I was in a MD cab last night going down L. Unfortunately he was clueless and I said you need to get over now trying to explain the bike lanes and he just went right up to the light and then turned left. I think he understood what I was saying after he made the turn, I just suspect this will be an ongoing issue for quite a while.

As for the 15th St question. I waited for the red figuring those with the red clearly can't make that turn on a red. The only trouble with this approach is then merging into those going north or avoiding/waiting on those going south that are already on the cycletrack.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of traffic enforcement out this morning on L street. Had a chat with one of the officers and she asked me how I liked the bike lanes. I said other than the two trucks parked in the lane right behind me, it's ok I suppose. Also a beer truck unloading a couple of blocks back! She said they are supposed to be ticketing them.