Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Post pics of your bike thread

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by culimerc View Post
    not exactly my bikes, but.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0727.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	2102
    Riding for the Glory of DC and NoVa bike advocacy.
    Did you get those at The Bike Lane? Revolution?

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Farmington Canal Heritage Trail by thetejon, on Flickr

Doing a little riding while up in Connecticut for Thanksgiving. The trail was a little disappointing - the website talks about this 80 mile rail trail, but then you realize that most of that is in the "design" stage, and what you actually have is 4 miles full of stop signs. Still, nice to get out.

Also, I realized how lucky we are in this area - Southington, CT, is far from bike-friendly. The 30MPH road we stayed on had no shoulder (or even sidewalks for the most part) and the cars were doing much more than 30. I got buzzed a few times on a 25mph road with no traffic in the opposite direction. Drivers here may be crazy, but at least we have some options.
    Last edited by jrenaut; 11-25-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Forgot second complaint about bike facilities

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    The Bike Arl. one is from Revolution in Clarendon, WABA was via the mail/interwebs (I believe, both were gifts)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Revolution generally has the BikeArlington jersey in stock. Remember that your WABA card will get you a discount on a BA jersey!

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks. I think I need to get one of those sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    Hilarious.
    Did your bike come with canti rear brakes and direct pull V brakes up front? Also is the front a mini-v brake? I didn't think integrated brake/shifters worked with long pull V brakes.

The reason I'm asking is I'm planning a drop bar conversion on a bike with V-brakes and about to order mini-V's to work with Tiagara shifters.
    Johnny is an old Lemond Poprad- when I acquired him he had dual Avid shorty canti's... I couldn't stand them up front (Link to thread) and settled on a set of Paul Mini-moto linear (short) pull fronts. I now have about 1500 miles on them and am still really jazzed about their performance. Adding the interrupter levers was a great move as well. However, just this morning I found some sort of special slime on Difficult Run trail that lubed up my rim so badly that I lost 95% of my braking power and shot into the trees. Meanwhile, my buddy on his Avid mechanicals merrily went on his way right through the goo. If I could (and felt like spending the money) I'd rebuild that front with a disc but I don't think that the frame has enough life left to justify a new fork.

Only other issue with the Paul (besides cost) is that it takes some fiddling and a 15mm wrench to get it dialed in after a wheelset change (I switch back and forth between a set of commuter slicks and the CX tires). It's not a huge deal but like most Paul products, the documentation is well-neigh nonexistent so some trial and error is in order.

The other huge improvement I recently made was switching from high pressure CX (Hutch Piranha @ 80psi) to low pressure tubeless CX (Michelin Mud2 @ 38-40psi)- off road handling is a TON better at the lower pressures even if my on-piste performance is a bit slower. Also- no more evil pinch flats...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    Johnny is an old Lemond Poprad- when I acquired him he had dual Avid shorty canti's... I couldn't stand them up front (Link to thread) and settled on a set of Paul Mini-moto linear (short) pull fronts. I now have about 1500 miles on them and am still really jazzed about their performance. Adding the interrupter levers was a great move as well. However, just this morning I found some sort of special slime on Difficult Run trail that lubed up my rim so badly that I lost 95% of my braking power and shot into the trees. Meanwhile, my buddy on his Avid mechanicals merrily went on his way right through the goo. If I could (and felt like spending the money) I'd rebuild that front with a disc but I don't think that the frame has enough life left to justify a new fork.

Only other issue with the Paul (besides cost) is that it takes some fiddling and a 15mm wrench to get it dialed in after a wheelset change (I switch back and forth between a set of commuter slicks and the CX tires). It's not a huge deal but like most Paul products, the documentation is well-neigh nonexistent so some trial and error is in order.

The other huge improvement I recently made was switching from high pressure CX (Hutch Piranha @ 80psi) to low pressure tubeless CX (Michelin Mud2 @ 38-40psi)- off road handling is a TON better at the lower pressures even if my on-piste performance is a bit slower. Also- no more evil pinch flats...
    Thx, I was going to convert a bad boy for my wife but the top tube was too long for drop bar setup. I recently switched to kool stops on my CX, haven't noticed problems w braking. Cantis are a pain to keep adjusted properly.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a new fork on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    I put a new fork on mine.
    Holy tire clearance! Are you running 26" MTB wheels on a 29'er fork?
    Your trailer tires looks overloaded or low on air, what are you hauling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    Holy tire clearance! Are you running 26" MTB wheels on a 29'er fork?
    Your trailer tires looks overloaded or low on air, what are you hauling?
    I'm embarrassed. I'd been meaning to pump up those trailer tires. There's maybe 20 psi in that one. Scwalbe Marathons are very stout and forgiving of such errors.

Yes it's a 29er fork on a 26er bike. The new fork matches the stock (100 mm travel) shock's axle to crown measurement. Perhaps I should have accounted for an inch of sag? I didn't think about that. The bars do feel kind of high, but I can lower them. The subtle changes in handling that a change of a degree or two of seat tube/head tube angles are probably lost on me. I doubt I could tell the difference. Which is another reason maybe I should have sourced a slightly shorter fork. It looks a liitle odd but I like it. The old fork was starting to move back and forth like it had (double jointed) knees.

There are times I notice and miss the cushion but for the riding I do, I don't think suspension is worth the weight.

I was hauling cardboard boxes.