Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Post pics of your bike thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Dixie, to be accurate. It barely fits in there. Fitting a 44t inner ring on this frame is pretty tight. 46/44 up front. 17/19 in back. 46x17 and 44x19 use the same chain length, so the vertical dropouts make gear changes pretty easy.
    love it, vertical or semi horizontal dropouts? if vert how did you get the right chain tension? magic gearing? i'm intrigued

wait a minute, is that an eccentric bottom bracket?
    Last edited by dcv; 11-09-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: steel, cx, front disc!? it gets better the more i look

2. 11-09-2012, 01:08 PM

3. 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Trying this again, dcv...

Sabine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabine2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	2035

Thing 1 (also available with orange chukkers and white cx tires in more fun weather):

Name:	Thing1(2).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	2037

Thing 2:

Name:	Thing2(2).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	2036

The seat to handlebar drop is approx 6 1/2 inches on Things 1 & 2. Plenty comfortable as long as I'm not in the drops---but then, once you get in the drops, you aren't supposed to be focused on comfort anymore anyway, right?
    Last edited by OneEighth; 11-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    you aren't supposed to be focused on comfort anymore anyway, right?
    It is hard to cause others discomfort when you're comfy yourself?

My saddle/bar drop is about 3.5". I had the bars lower, but found I used the drops a lot less.

I love your bicycles, sir.

Dirt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    love it, vertical or semi horizontal dropouts? if vert how did you get the right chain tension? magic gearing? i'm intrigued

wait a minute, is that an eccentric bottom bracket?
    Good eye. It has vertical dropouts so that I can run the fenders pretty close to the tires. The frame has an EBB to take up the chain slack. It is the only way that I'm able to run a 44t inner ring. The EBB needs to be turned down and away from the rear triangle or the chain ring rubs the frame.

7. 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to cause others discomfort when you're comfy yourself?

My saddle/bar drop is about 3.5". I had the bars lower, but found I used the drops a lot less.

I love your bicycles, sir.

Dirt
    I have fit issues. Clearly, I need to spring for a hand-built, lugged track frame. Clearly. Just don't tell my wife.
    Please.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fit issues. Clearly, I need to spring for a hand-built, lugged track frame. Clearly. Just don't tell my wife.
    Please.
    Oh I've got similar issues. I deal with them differently. I'm actually contemplaing dropping a size on my steamroller because the fit isn't perfect... run more post out and keep the stem slammed. It still won't be as low as yours, but it will give me a little more flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying this again, dcv...

Sabine:

Name:	Sabine2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	2035

Thing 1 (also available with orange chukkers and white cx tires in more fun weather):

Name:	Thing1(2).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	2037

Thing 2:

Name:	Thing2(2).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	2036

The seat to handlebar drop is approx 6 1/2 inches on Things 1 & 2. Plenty comfortable as long as I'm not in the drops---but then, once you get in the drops, you aren't supposed to be focused on comfort anymore anyway, right?
    thanks for re-posting, much better pics. I love your bikes, understated and nice attention to detail. your langster s-works is amazing, love the wheels. Do you use the brake with such high gearing? 48X15 is a BIG gear.

when are they going to open the DC Velodrome?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I've got similar issues. I deal with them differently. I'm actually contemplaing dropping a size on my steamroller because the fit isn't perfect... run more post out and keep the stem slammed. It still won't be as low as yours, but it will give me a little more flexibility.
    +1, lately i've been thinking the same. doesn't help seeing 1/8th's bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

The gearing definitely makes me rely on the brake more than I would otherwise. Do my best to adjust my riding so that I don't find myself in situations that require sudden braking.
    The fork, front wheel and handlebar all got replaced after my February crash. I stuck with the Easton handlebar, but upgraded to the more aero fork. Had Bill Mould at Spokes lace a new rim onto the front hub (that man does NICE work).
    Now I just have to actually grow some legs...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    +1, lately i've been thinking the same. doesn't help seeing 1/8th's bikes.
    It is all in how you ride your bike and what is comfortable. I spend a LOT of time in the drops when I'm doing training rides. With as much saddle/bar drop as he's got, and the deep drop track bars, I couldn't spend more than 10 minutes per hour on a bike set up like that. I need to set my bikes up so that I can ride 30-40 minutes per hour in the drops, if not longer.

The track bar conversation brings up another point.... I don't use them. I do enough out of the saddle climbing that I want roadie width bars for climbing. From rides that we've done together, 1/8 and I tend to climb at similar pace, but we do it in very different ways. He powers up stuff in the saddle. I tend to get out of the saddle and hammer up. End result is similar, but we get there in different ways.

That said, his bikes are devastatingly beautiful. Decades of injuries will likely prevent me from ever having the physiology to use that kind of riding position. I will say, however, that the more high mileage years I get in my legs, the more flexible I am to really use aggressive positioning. I figure I'll be comfortable for hours with positioning like those on 1/8ths bikes by the time I'm 220 years old.