Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Recommendations: Rear Rack + Shoulder Bag

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Vital question: how do y'all prefer to pronounce "panniers"? Pan-yers, or puh-neers? Something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Vital question: how do y'all prefer to pronounce "panniers"? Pan-yers, or puh-neers? Something else?
    "Pan-years."

Post Thanks / Like

I went with Ortleib panniers as well. They're easy on, and easy off. Absolutely waterproof. They're not light, but whose counting grams at this point. I routinely carry; Lunch, thermos, Laptop, work clothes, shoes and couple extra pieces of fruit. And if I dont have my laptop and/or shoes, that usually goes in one pannier. The biggest drawback that I can see is that there is so much room you end up hauling around 20lbs of stuff you dont actually need. Back up flat kit, spare jacket, rain suit if there's a chance of rain, etc etc etc.
    Last edited by culimerc; 11-28-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: cuz Im just like that

Post Thanks / Like

I have these - http://www.seattlesportsco.com/produ...&idcategory=91

No complaints, a set of two holds plenty for an average grocery run and I only need to use one during the week for clothes and lunch (I don't wear suits to work, I can fold my work clothes). They also have a small inner pocket to keep my spare tube, multitool, and other such things separate from my clothes or food. Only one real test of the waterproofing thus far and they passed with flying colors. They're a good budget option relative to the Ortleibs.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Seattle Sports Titan panniers for almost 2 years now. My only quibble is that a laptop don't fit quite right since it tapers towards the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

My ortleibs have a thin internal pocket, which can help with really small items.

In general, there are two pannier camps: the waterproof camp and the rain cover camp. The rain cover camp argues that it's easier/cheaper to replace a torn cover than a torn pannier, and that waterproof bags get funkier than breathable bags. The other camp just wants something that's waterproof. Touring, I generally split the difference, with waterproof bags for stuff I really want to keep dry, and breathable bags for everything else. Commuting, I use a breathable bag. I'm not going to be out in the rain for hours like I would touring, and if anything gets wet I wouldn't care much anyway (I don't carry a laptop). If you can keep your bag empty most of the day, the swamp bag argument won't much matter. If you leave your bike clothes in the bag during the day, I definitely wouldn't get a waterproof one. If your main concern is a laptop, you could get a separate dry bag for it.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

mstone: That is tremendously helpful. Thanks. My Transit were breathable, with a rain cover. Nothing every got wet.... but importantly nothing ever got funky! As a commuter bag, I think that is a criteria that just tilted it - breathable is a key feature.

Thank you wise representative of the peanut gallery.

Post Thanks / Like

Ortlieb panneirs are wonderful. My favorite is the Bike Shopper. http://www.ortliebusa.com/prod-35.htm It is dead simple. It is like the world's most durable ziplock bag with Ortlieb's amazing mounting system attached to the back. They're expensive ($100 each... sold individually) but worth every penny in my eyes. Mine have been completely submerged and come through without any hint of leak.

Yes, I know I always come up with really expensive solutions.

There are LOTS Of good panniers out there. The best suggestion that I can give is to go to a shop that stocks them and try a few. Riding with panniers is easy and pretty much the same experience regardless of brand. The thing to test out is what they're like to attach and remove from the bike. You can read about capacity pretty easily, but seeing exactly how big they are is sooooo much more useful.

Arkel makes some very nice panniers and their attachment system is a little more fiddly than the Ortlieb, but it works very nicely.

Both brands have many different price points for panniers.

As for packs... now that my shoulders are both relatively functional, I like using a backpack over messenger bag. If I'm dancing with commuter buses, I like a little extra security of having two shoulder straps. Inexpensive packs work. Getting a really good one will make it last longer and help with waterproofing. Ortlieb, Osprey and Thule make my favorites. I have a few of each that I use for different purposes at different times. Lots depends on what you want to carry.

Keep visibility in mind. If the pack you choose isn't reflective, get some stickers, tape and/or flashy light to make it much easier to be seen. I've also used a reflective vest over the pack to be visible.

Good luck!

Pete

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    My ortleibs have a thin internal pocket, which can help with really small items.

In general, there are two pannier camps: the waterproof camp and the rain cover camp. The rain cover camp argues that it's easier/cheaper to replace a torn cover than a torn pannier, and that waterproof bags get funkier than breathable bags. The other camp just wants something that's waterproof. Touring, I generally split the difference, with waterproof bags for stuff I really want to keep dry, and breathable bags for everything else. Commuting, I use a breathable bag. I'm not going to be out in the rain for hours like I would touring, and if anything gets wet I wouldn't care much anyway (I don't carry a laptop). If you can keep your bag empty most of the day, the swamp bag argument won't much matter. If you leave your bike clothes in the bag during the day, I definitely wouldn't get a waterproof one. If your main concern is a laptop, you could get a separate dry bag for it.
    Breathable bags are easier to decorate...

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Breathable bags are easier to decorate...

How are you calculating the 9/10 of a cent it takes you to ride?