Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking Recommendations: Rear Rack + Shoulder Bag

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    You could try this:
    - Seatpost rack that accommodates panniers: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400005_400104
    - Then add pannier(s) of your choice.
    Mildly amusing that the demo bike in the picture has all the brazeons for a real rack. The seatpost racks will work, but they're definitely less desirable than a real rack if you can use one. (The seatpost ones will always tend to have more sway due to physics. You also want to avoid clamping anything to a carbon seatpost.) Topeak also has a zillion seat post models for different kinds of bikes (http://www.topeak.com/products/BeamRacks-MTX http://www.topeak.com/products/BeamRacks-RX) and also has side bars that let you use a light pannier. If you have a topeak rack, they also have a series of bags that clip in and out pretty easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanb1 View Post
    Another option is to maybe simply bring a set of cloths at work ahead of time so that I can change into after I wash up. That way I can carry just my laptop. But I'll need a bag that won't damage the laptop in case I wipeout (like I did on my way to work this morning).
    I'm also a keep-all-my-work-clothes-at-work person and use the dry cleaner a couple blocks away. When I first started bike commuting I would carry my work clothes (and shoes!) every day both ways in a backpack. It actually wasn't that bad, although that probably depends on how far you have to go. Also, adding a laptop to that mix would make things much more unpleasant.

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to back packs many folks on the forum really don't recommend their use, and mostly for good reason, but I also don't have a rack option so a backpack had to be part of my daily commuter life. I ride 25 miles everyday and thus wanted a really comfortable pack. Currently I am using a Vaude Bike Alpin 25-5 Backpack. It is the "air" model so it floats off your back a little a breathes better. This is not ideal for off-roading as it can bounce around a little, but for commuting it is awesome. VERY adjustable, even down to the torso length. Will take a bladder system if you have one, expandable, lots of compartments, built-in rain cover, key/phone pouch, blink light attachment, and built really well.... great zippers, perfect seams, super comfortable. I almost always have 10-15lbs. in it but have occasionally hit Whole Foods, expand it and cram tons of food and beer in it. Even fully loaded it is still very comfortable and accessible. Vaude make great bags and have plenty of options.

http://www.bikebagshop.com/vaude-bik...ck-p-1181.html

I tried lots of bags (Osprey, Ortlieb, Banjo-Brothers, Novara, Deuter) but loved the Vaude.

best of luck!

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pannier Recommendations?

Reviving this.

I bought a pair of TransIt bags from Performance maybe two and a half years ago. I have liked them. They work like stuff bags - can get a lot in them. Nothing has ever gotten wet. They have a top pocket which is convenient for frequently used stuff (my multi tool so I can adjust my seat again, just for instance). They are a little hard to clip on the bike, and they ultimately, I dont know.... dissolved? The material just crumbled away.

Rootchopper recommended Ortlieb - and seems pretty good. They seem VERY water proof. And they seem simple to get on and off the bike - altho its hard to see exactly how that works. But it seems like simply one big bag - which is causing me to hesitate a little. Seems like keys or camera or multi tool will just sink to the bottom of my clothes, making it hard to fish things out on the trail. It is nice to have a few separate compartments.

So what does the peanut gallery think? What bags you got? What do you like, what not.

Post Thanks / Like

If I know it's going to rain or that there will be puddles on a certain day, I just put my things in a couple of plastic bags, fold over the tops of the bags and slide them into my regular panniers. For more compartments, more plastic bags. See-through ziplocks are great for small things, even when not needed for rain protection.

This seems too simple. There must be disadvantages that I haven't thought of or problems I haven't experienced yet. Clearly, Ortliebs are really nice.
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 11-28-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: This doesn't help for unexpected rainstorms.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    So what does the peanut gallery think? What bags you got? What do you like, what not.
    I've got this, which I think was actually discontinued. I liked the Ortliebs, but jeez they're expensive and I also didn't like their lack of internal and external pockets. My main requirement was that the bag converted to messenger style for easy carrying. It's not strictly waterproof, but it has a rain cover that has worked for me without issue. On my Christmas list is the garment bag pannier from Nashbar. Right now, every couple of weeks I have to take my work clothes in by car so they don't get too wrinkly, but a garment bag pannier would make that a non-issue, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall why I did not go with Ortlieb, but I pickecd up a pair of Serratus panniers from MEC more than 13 years ago. They have been excellent -- roomy and very waterproof. They've been replaced by the MEC Aqua‑Not 3 46L Panniers. If you don't mind that sahde of blue, that clearance price a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Rootchopper recommended Ortlieb - and seems pretty good. They seem VERY water proof. And they seem simple to get on and off the bike - altho its hard to see exactly how that works. But it seems like simply one big bag - which is causing me to hesitate a little. Seems like keys or camera or multi tool will just sink to the bottom of my clothes, making it hard to fish things out on the trail. It is nice to have a few separate compartments.

I've been quite happy with my Ortlieb bags. They're big,they're orange, they are indeed quite waterproof. Plus they are easy to clean. Yesterday I just wiped them down once I got home. They are easy to get on and off (there is a strap that when you pull it releases the rack clamps). Another great thing about them is that they are easy to adjust for different racks. However, as other haves noted, the interior lacks compartments. That's not been an issue for me. Mine can really hold a lot as I daily bring in clothes, lunch box, thermos, various papers, and often a laptop as well.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    I just put my things in a couple of plastic bags, fold over the tops of the bags and slide them into my regular panniers. For more compartments, more plastic bags. See-through ziplocks are great for small things, even when not needed for rain protection.

This seems too simple. There must be disadvantages that I haven't thought of or problems I haven't experienced yet.
    Back when I toured, we simply lined the panniers with trash bags.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use backpacks, sorry. I had a rack on my hybrid for a bit and some small LG panniers but I found I never used them enough.