Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking Recommendations: Rear Rack + Shoulder Bag

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seeking Recommendations: Rear Rack + Shoulder Bag

I've got a mountain bike that I commute to work with. Here's a pic:

I'm looking for a good rear rack that I can tie stuff on to.

Also, what are some good commuting back packs (something I can safely carry a laptop in) that you recommend as well?

Post Thanks / Like

I love the hell out of my Seagull bag, but they aren't cheap and are made but of bunch of pretentious, talented jerks up in Ohio. There are certainly cheaper options out there as well. As for bike racks. Given the flex in your rear triangle, you are probably looking at a seatpost-mounted rack, which are generally limited in terms of carrying capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pfunkallstar View Post
    I love the hell out of my Seagull bag, but they aren't cheap and are made but of bunch of pretentious, talented jerks up in Ohio. There are certainly cheaper options out there as well. As for bike racks. Given the flex in your rear triangle, you are probably looking at a seatpost-mounted rack, which are generally limited in terms of carrying capacity.
    Are there any decent racks that would mount to the wheel + the lower portion of the bike (instead of the seat post) for more appropriate load capacity?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I doubt your bike has the necessary mounting points for a traditional rack (can't tell for sure from the photo), so you'll have to use something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/697096/to...ype-and-a-type

They carry about 20lbs, so you should be able to get away with putting a bag/laptop on it, assuming you aren't also lugging around a bunch of books. Many on this forum, including me, would say that getting a proper rack/pannier setup is your best choice for commuting, but you generally can't use panniers with clamp-on racks like the one I linked to above. I only use a backpack on the days I commute on my rackless road bike, and then I just use one of the roughly 15 or so backpacks that are scattered around my house rather than a "commuter" backpack. I prefer the go as small as possible so my back doesn't get sweaty, but if you're carrying a laptop, you don't have much choice but to go with something bigger.

DismalScientist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Traditional racks are mounted at both the wheel and on the stays near the seatpost (either with a clamp or fixtures brazed to the frame). As they do not flex, this would be incompatible with a rear suspension bicycle.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that rack will do the job. 20 lbs is more than enough. I just need something to carry my set of cloths that I plan to change into when I get to work.

Another option is to maybe simply bring a set of cloths at work ahead of time so that I can change into after I wash up. That way I can carry just my laptop. But I'll need a bag that won't damage the laptop in case I wipeout (like I did on my way to work this morning).

I'm thinking of something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Brenthaven-224.../dp/B003UYT4GO

Post Thanks / Like

A rear BOLT ON rack will not work on your DUAL SUSPENSION bike. Trust me on that one. The cheap thing you can do is purchase a SEAT POST mounted rack or a Timbuk 2 bag that accommodates a laptop. Buena Suerte.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanb1 View Post
    Another option is to maybe simply bring a set of cloths at work ahead of time so that I can change into after I wash up. That way I can carry just my laptop. But I'll need a bag that won't damage the laptop in case I wipeout (like I did on my way to work this morning).
    This is what I do, and I highly recommend it, especially if you're only commuting a few times a week. I commute daily and my entire work wardrobe is in my office (we have on site dry cleaning). It just takes a little planning, and it has the added benefit of giving you an emergency outfit if, for example, you have a Pollack-esque sauce drip during lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the backpack route, I bought a nice large Chrome messenger bag. Even with minimal gear in there, it was just way too much to carry on my back comfortably. I guess it really depends how long your ride is and how much you plan on carrying, but I wouldn't invest in too much up front in case it doesn't work out. As noted, your full suspension bike prevents you from putting a rack on. There are racks that can be bolted on even without drop-outs (the little eyelets that let you bolt on a rack on many commuter/touring type bikes). http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Fly/FLY%20PAGE.htm
    but I'm pretty sure those won't work with your bike, the rack would be angled severely.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try this:
    - Seatpost rack that accommodates panniers: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400005_400104
    - Then add pannier(s) of your choice.

I've had success with this sort of set up for years. Can carry moderately weighty things like a laptop, lots of groceries, and even a chainsaw if need be.

Also thumbs up to stocking your workplace with extra clothes and such. Supply once, use multiple occasions. Your co-workers will thank you!