Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trail etiquette

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trail etiquette

On Saturday, I led a group on an historical walk. For the last stretch, I took a group of 11 people on the W&OD Trail. I frequently bicycle on that trail and warned them many times to pay attention, stay to the right, be careful about walking 2 abreast, etc and I would say that they were pretty considerate. Also, we didn't stay together as one blob but spread out. However, one male cyclist took it upon himself to scream at a group of 6 people (who were not violating any of the tenets I had laid out) that there was a trail for walkers (Four Mile Run) and that that's where they should be. (Ironically, we were near the portion of Four Mile Run where the walker was hit by a bicycle earlier this year and later died.)

I was amazed that some bicyclists have the same mentality as certain drivers do wrt roads. I'm sure that people like him do a lot to degenerate attitudes toward cyclists.

That said, I was riding on MVT on Sunday and was thinking that it could really use a sign suggesting that everyone should stay on the right. I saw a lot of people walking on the left.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes down to it some people are just jerks.

Here are our tips for Trail Usage: http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/b...ltiuse-trails/

Be sure to check out the Sharing The Way flyer: http://www.bikearlington.com/tasks/s...TheWay2-10.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    When it comes down to it some people are just jerks.[/url]
    I think that about it somes it up. Every mode of transportation comes with the good and bad apples. The best we can do is educate each other.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also say that there is a difference between the weekend and the week on the trails. I tend to stay off the MUPs on the weekends - between the ELITE cyclists and the noobs - it can be meshugeh.

Post Thanks / Like

And seasons matter too. Wait until it's winter. The trails will be quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    And seasons matter too. Wait until it's winter. The trails will be quiet.
    I might be totally making this up, but I kinda remember seeing a graph of trail use and there was spike in September. Anybody remember where that was? Anyway, shorter days should make things quieter.
    Last edited by txgoonie; 09-26-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txgoonie View Post
    I might be totally making this up, but I kinda remember seeing a graph of trail use and there was spike in September. Anybody remember where that was? Anyway, shorter days should make things quieter.
    Custis Ridership: 2011 vs 2012 (so far) at the top of the Rosslyn hill and at the Custis/W&OD Intersection:

Name:  Custis.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  55.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Custis Ridership: 2011 vs 2012 (so far) at the top of the Rosslyn hill and at the Custis/W&OD Intersection:
    Wow, we were way ahead of last year's pace until the summer, when we dropped off . . . was it the oppresively hot weather? Any other explanation?

Liz

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    Wow, we were way ahead of last year's pace until the summer, when we dropped off . . . was it the oppresively hot weather? Any other explanation?

Liz
    I would think the other way around-- no real winter this year, artificially inflating the winter numbers. Was the previous winter the snowmaggeden winter, or was that the one before? If so, that winter might have also been artificially lowered, making this year look even better by comparison.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

The snowmaggedens were late 2009 and early 2010. There was snow in winter 2010-2011, just no "maggedons". Last winter (2011-2012) was blistfully (almost) snow-free.