Lovely fall color this morning approaching Iwo Jima
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fall color.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	20459

2. Likes Crickey7, Steve O, dasgeh, VikingMariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wimps. I saw a grand total of 5 riders on the CCT this morning. On the plus side, it did allow me to belt out many a stanza of "Baby Shark"

4. Likes Steve O, Emm, CBGanimal, ChristoB50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Wimps. I saw a grand total of 5 riders on the CCT this morning. On the plus side, it did allow me to belt out many a stanza of "Baby Shark"
    I literally saw one other bike commuter (an e-bike, nonetheless) this morning. Tons of runners out, though.

Post Thanks / Like

There are an amazing number of cyclists that would never get on their bike without proper bike shorts. The problem is that they don't ride if it's not shorts weather. Here I am deciding which weekend to put the studded tires on my bike...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back to my bike commute! After 6 weeks at sea in the Arctic and 2 weeks in Alaska I was super happy to have such great fall weather to ride in today.

The good news: I made it in ok.
    The bad and weird: I was also hit by a deer that had just been hit by a car. By hit I mean it slid into my wheels, but I witnessed all of it and... jesus christ, wtf.

I was huffing and puffing up Hillcrest in SE and I feel guilty because I saw it happening before it happened and didn't make any attempts to aver it. A deer was running through the front yards to my right and a driver coming down the hill, comes around the bend in the road up ahead. The deer veers across the road and gets t-boned by the car. Headlight plastic shatters and goes flying and the deer is suddenly rolling and sliding along the road in my direction! I stop and try to get out of the way but it slides into my wheels. Then the deer gingerly gets up, tests its legs out and limps into the woods to where it was originally heading.

Fortunately, the driver did not seem to be going excessively fast. It literally jumped out of his peripheral vision in front of his car. After the hubbub, the driver eases down the hill across from me and asks - "how bad is it?" I'd like to think he was asking about me and whether I was ok, but I'm almost sure he was asking about his goddamn car.

Welcome back to cycling in DC! Oh! And the Douglass bridge project has made things in that area even worse than ever!

8. Likes Steve O, josh, buschwacker, secstate liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I was also hit by a deer that had just been hit by a car. By hit I mean it slid into my wheels, but I witnessed all of it and... jesus christ, wtf.
    That is crazy and I'm glad you're ok

10. Likes creadinger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I watched the news this morning about Chain Bridge being shut down and saw, in the background of the shot, a cyclist coming down the hill toward the Bridge and stopping. Does anyone know if they allowed cyclists across? Because all I could think about was how horrible it would be to have to turn around and head back up the steep hill and then work your way down to Key Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

So I watched the news this morning about Chain Bridge being shut down and saw, in the background of the shot, a cyclist coming down the hill toward the Bridge and stopping. Does anyone know if they allowed cyclists across? Because all I could think about was how horrible it would be to have to turn around and head back up the steep hill and then work your way down to Key Bridge.
    I don't know for sure, but looking at pics on ArlNow, I doubt they're letting anyone through. The sinkhole is massive and spans almost both lanes.

I learned of the county boil orders AFTER making coffee.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I don't know for sure, but looking at pics on ArlNow, I doubt they're letting anyone through. The sinkhole is massive and spans almost both lanes.
    From the pics, it looks like someone could get to 41st St - i.e. the massive sink hole is south of the intersection of Glebe & 41st. I don't know if they are worried about more road damage.

Betcha it will take less than 3 months to fix this.

14. Likes scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy says he went across.

16. Likes Tania liked this post