Likes Likes:  7,481
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 675 of 677 FirstFirst ... 175575625665673674675676677 LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,750 of 6764

Thread: My Morning Commute

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time, while they were building the TR Bridge access at the Kennedy Center, the detour was actually through the parking garage. There was a steep ramp down to the previous parking driveway about where the new ramp is now (but there was no REACH, of course).
    It used to be a pretty straight shot through if I recall.
    So I'm not sure if that might be an option, too.

2. Likes highline liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I thought about this and let it sit overnight, and I still can't figure out why Dewey is making the TR bridge suck?
    Not Dewey in particular, but the TR bridge sidepath is NARROW, and having people use that entrance/exit, with that difficult to navigate turn, is going to make using it to go east-west even worse. Not Dewey's fault or the fault of people using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I looked again this morning and it is also possible to not go up to the TR bridge path but when you pass the KC Reach building turn left and follow the path around to the entrance that becomes the sidewalk for the ramp to the KC underground parking garage. You could cross the ramp and ride up the road in front of the Kennedy Center plaza, but there is no crosswalk there and at 10am this morning the garage ramp had a fair amount of vehicle traffic from buses and delivery trucks so did not look very inviting, instead I rode up to the TR bridge path which I think the designers intended for bicycles.
    This is a horrible design flaw. They should have made a safe path up the ramp to parking -- there's a lot of asphalt there and no space on that sidepath

Post Thanks / Like

I rode through there yesterday afternoon. The ramps were fun, but the rest of it, through the KC area, isn't really going to be any good for cycling if there are more than like 2 pedestrians about. Cycling speeds are going to be so slow for most conscientious riders* that I don't really think there should be much of a problem. Probably even have to walk your bike during events.

I suppose the junction with the TR path could be problematic if people don't pay attention.

*I can't speak for motorized users though.

Post Thanks / Like

As the dying Yoda croaked to Luke...there is another! This morning after crossing the new bridge over the Rock Creek Parkway I turned left and took the ramp beside the Reach building up to the Plaza on the East side of the Kennedy Center, then rode around the corner where the CaBi station used to be located in the good old bad old days, and crossed the road out front. But as @huskerdont pointed out, while fine at 7:45am I wouldn't recommend this at any later point during the day as that ramp is narrow, plus riding a bicycle on the Kennedy Center plaza is technically verboten as I found out multiple times in the past when bored guards would yell after me for daring to sully the hallowed concrete, reserved for the tires of chauffeured livery cars and the finest Italian calf-skin shoe soles of patrons, with my two wheeled plebeian transit.

Re: ebikes when its busier with pedestrians, fun fact most have a 'walk assist' feature that can help give a gentle 4mph push if you want to walk your ebike up the ramps.
    Last edited by Dewey; 10-07-2019 at 10:05 AM.

6. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy on a scooter came off this new ped bridge onto the TR bridge and ran into me when I was biking home last week. Be careful out there.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I broke my chain on the way in and was rescued by a cyclist on a nice BLT who had a chain tool and a quick link. I was stopped for probably less than 5 minutes total. If you’re here, thanks!

9. Likes Judd, Steve O, dasgeh, streetsmarts, mikoglaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of the heroic Bicycle Repairman by Monty Python ! De he stop on a venture after seeing you pushing your disable bike along, or did you flag him down? And if so, how did you know he'd have a chain tool or a link, or a spare chain of the correct gauge? Most commuters are in such a hurry they might not think to stop.

11. Likes SpaceJockey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phog View Post
    Reminds me of the heroic Bicycle Repairman by Monty Python ! De he stop on a venture after seeing you pushing your disable bike along, or did you flag him down? And if so, how did you know he'd have a chain tool or a link, or a spare chain of the correct gauge? Most commuters are in such a hurry they might not think to stop.
    Great reference! Here it is for nostalgia and indoctrination purposes:

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped to patch someone's tube this morning. They'd never seen a tube before. And they asked if I used the same pump to fill the tube and the tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    I was surprised to see you connect to the TR bridge rather than continue onto the main street. That's going to make the TR Bridge suck more.
    One of the unexpected side effects I'm noticing of the new Rock Creek connection at the Kennedy Center is a huge uptick in runners using the bridge (5-10X). Yesterday I even saw a couple tourists on the bridge, which I almost never see. My thought is with direct access to the Rock Creek trail, it creates a loop route with the other bridges, whereas before the TR bridge path would dump you out in the middle of VA Ave. While passing a runner/pedestrian (either way) isn't as bad as another bicycle, every passing on that bridge requires extreme caution. Increasing bridge traffic on the TR needs serious consideration for safety improvements, as any bad incident is likely going to be fatal with the low railings.

15. Likes dasgeh liked this post