Likes Likes:  7,285
Dislikes Dislikes:  68
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 645 of 663 FirstFirst ... 145545595635643644645646647655 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,450 of 6621

Thread: My Morning Commute

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Do you need clear goggles to bike at night? I have yellow ones at home I think, but I never use them since I start and end my day in the dark this time of year. I keep considering ordering clear goggles for days like today, but then not doing it. I was ok this AM, but I really didn't like the cold air that got to my eyes around my clear safety glasses. It definitely caused me to tear up a bit. Avoiding that feeling on really cold days might be worth it.
    There are some, particularly of the recreational shooting sort, that believe yellow glasses actually enhance low-light vision...I think the science is inconclusive, but yellow lenses should be fine for night riding since they don't really reduce the amount of light coming in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Do you need clear goggles to bike at night? I have yellow ones at home I think, but I never use them since I start and end my day in the dark this time of year. I keep considering ordering clear goggles for days like today, but then not doing it. I was ok this AM, but I really didn't like the cold air that got to my eyes around my clear safety glasses. It definitely caused me to tear up a bit. Avoiding that feeling on really cold days might be worth it.
    My ski goggles have an amber lens. The lens makes it slightly harder for me to see at night, but not enough to cause major problems -- i.e. I think it's worth the tradeoff not to have to deal with fogged lenses, watering eyes, and frozen eyeballs that I would get with my regular cycling glasses at these temps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    My ski goggles have an amber lens. The lens makes it slightly harder for me to see at night, but not enough to cause major problems -- i.e. I think it's worth the tradeoff not to have to deal with fogged lenses, watering eyes, and frozen eyeballs that I would get with my regular cycling glasses at these temps.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    There are some, particularly of the recreational shooting sort, that believe yellow glasses actually enhance low-light vision...I think the science is inconclusive, but yellow lenses should be fine for night riding since they don't really reduce the amount of light coming in.
    Very helpful! I'll dig through my crawl space tonight or tomorrow while I telework and try to find my goggles. Hopefully they're not buried under too much stuff.

Brett L--good luck tonight. Let me know how it goes

Post Thanks / Like

On a related note..... Costco is selling Bolle ski goggles with both dark and light lenses for relatively inexpensive (at least in world of ski goggles). If tonight's ride is uncomfortable, I'm going to be tempted to head there....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    On a related note..... Costco is selling Bolle ski goggles with both dark and light lenses for relatively inexpensive (at least in world of ski goggles). If tonight's ride is uncomfortable, I'm going to be tempted to head there....
    I use my motorcycle goggles. Cheap and replacement lenses are ~4 bucks.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...a-Goggle?c=253

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    I have Bolle ski goggles (around $30 from Amazon) which are excellent. Double pane, vented top and bottom. They do not fog up if I don't wear a brimmed hat.

Post Thanks / Like

So yeah, face was perfectly happy this morning with ski goggles, not happy with commute home sans ski goggles (yellow safety glasses instead). So I went over to Costco and got the Bolle ski goggles I mentioned earlier. Face will be happier tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Whether I commute in by bike or not is a function of what's happening in my afternoon. With an open calendar I was excited about facing the cold and getting some FS 2K18 miles on the warmest day of the year so far.

Head, chest, arms, legs, and feet were golden. I left my parking area confident in my lobster gloves but made it about 1.5 miles before my thumbs started barking at me. I turned around sensing that, with 12 miles to go, I might be courting nerve damage.

Until this morning I had always considered bar mitts a superfluous accessory; I'm beginning to wonder if my opinion was prematurely formed and that they're worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Rolling down 18th Street in Crystal City heading to the waterpark. About an inch of snow on the road. Car right on my tail, not passing when I slow and wave. I finally give up and get in the other lane to make the left on Crystal Drive. Driver in the small SUV rolls down their window and says "I didn't want to pass you because my tires are bad." I was rendered somewhat speechless. Damned flatlanders.

For the record, if a car has bad tires and is out in the snow, the last place I want them is on my tail.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Rolled out with the 45NRTH studs on this morning. The studs weren't really necessary this morning, but the tires are actually better in snow than my gravel tires because they're knobbier. Also, the CCT and other trails are on course to be an icy mess this evening. 23 degrees also felt very warm, which kinda weirded me out.