Page 620 of 638 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620621622630 ... LastLast
Results 6,191 to 6,200 of 6378

Thread: My Morning Commute

  1. #6191
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Crash on the Custis

    I came upon a crash on the Custis Trail at the low spot between the Bridge to Nowhere and the Bridge over 66 at the top of the Rosslyn Hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	14931

    The medical team was there already. I noted two bikes but only one crash victim, which was curious, so I stopped and observed. The crash victim had rash and blood on his right side, including his face, but was conscious and talking with them (I stayed a little ways off so I could not hear what they were saying). They eventually loaded him on a stretcher and carried him up the hill towards Lee Hwy. About that time a cyclist came walking down from the B to N side. The other bike was his. He (Mike from McLean who rides the Custis every day) had gone up the hill to warn oncoming traffic. He said he came upon the victim after the crash but before the responders arrived and that a call was already in to 911.

    His take was that the crash victim was westbound, based on the location of the blood on the trail. There's a root heave in the outbound lane right near the bottom of that hill (circled in red in the picture below), and it could potentially take someone down under certain circumstances.

    The crash victim didn't appear to be seriously injured, but clearly shaken up, and the fact they took him away on the stretcher is a bit concerning--perhaps a concussion.

    I thanked the responders as they were packing up and continued on my way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash 2.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	14932

  2. #6192
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I came upon a crash on the Custis Trail at the low spot between the Bridge to Nowhere and the Bridge over 66 at the top of the Rosslyn Hill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	14931

    The medical team was there already. I noted two bikes but only one crash victim, which was curious, so I stopped and observed. The crash victim had rash and blood on his right side, including his face, but was conscious and talking with them (I stayed a little ways off so I could not hear what they were saying). They eventually loaded him on a stretcher and carried him up the hill towards Lee Hwy. About that time a cyclist came walking down from the B to N side. The other bike was his. He (Mike from McLean who rides the Custis every day) had gone up the hill to warn oncoming traffic. He said he came upon the victim after the crash but before the responders arrived and that a call was already in to 911.

    His take was that the crash victim was westbound, based on the location of the blood on the trail. There's a root heave in the outbound lane right near the bottom of that hill (circled in red in the picture below), and it could potentially take someone down under certain circumstances.

    The crash victim didn't appear to be seriously injured, but clearly shaken up, and the fact they took him away on the stretcher is a bit concerning--perhaps a concussion.

    I thanked the responders as they were packing up and continued on my way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crash 2.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	14932
    Ooof, hope the rider is okay. That little bump is kinda fun to get air off of, but every time I do that I also think "someone not expecting this could seriously get hurt." In lieu of actually fixing the trail, maybe some "rough trail" signs would be helpful.

  3. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  4. #6193
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree. Anyone not familiar with the trail could be easily taken out by the moguls in that area. Definitely a hazard. Sigh.

  5. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  6. #6194
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My Morning Commute

    I had to come into work earlier than normal today and was reminded once again why I usually start my commute at 9:00. Morning drivers are *crazy*. I also took a Cabi instead of my own bike.

    While at the crosswalk next to the NPS parking lot on Hain's Pt heading towards the Case Bridge I waited for an obviously speeding car to pass (he clearly had no intention of stopping for me); I was only about one foot into the crosswalk with my foot down in the other lane. He yelled out something unintelligible and it definitely wasn't friendly. Dude, you are doing way over 25 mph and didn't stop for a ped/cyclist in the crosswalk.

    While riding around the fountain at the end of L'Enfant Plaza after coming off Case Bridge a woman in a sedan pulls up behind me. I go left around the circle while she continues straight towards 9th Street. As she is passing me she yells very angrily at me to get out of the street. Ummmm.....where am I supposed to go lady? The sidewalk? Never mind the fact that she had to slow down for all of two seconds for me to get out of her way.

    Wow, morning commuters are an entitled angry bunch. Drivers, if you are in that much of a hurry, please leave the house earlier!!!!

    Fortunately leaving 30-45 minutes later is much less stressful.
    Last edited by KLizotte; 06-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.

  7. Likes notinthe18, streetsmarts, VA2DC liked this post
  8. #6195
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just bought a new bell that is much louder and easier to ring than my old one. Now, if I see anything within a 100 foot radius of me that looks like it might, in time, turn into something less than perfect bike-wise, I just ring the shit out of my bell.

  9. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
  10. #6196
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    3,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I agree. Anyone not familiar with the trail could be easily taken out by the moguls in that area. Definitely a hazard. Sigh.
    This particular spot is east of the end of the moguls about 100-150 yards. Not to say those are not also hazardous. In this case the rider had not yet reached the moguls.

  11. #6197
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Wow, morning commuters are an entitled angry bunch. Drivers, if you are in that much of a hurry, please leave the house earlier!!!!
    Indeed! Just this morning heading east on Jefferson Drive, I started filtering by a string of cars held up by a Circulator bus that itself was waiting for a tour bus to pull out of the Circulator bus stop at 12th. The windows were down on the last car in the line, and the driver started honking and flinging f-bombs for the traffic ahead to get moving.

    1. Dude, the cars ahead of you have nowhere to go until the Circulator bus pulls over. Honking won't make them move any sooner.
    2. The Circulator bus can't pull over when the stop is (unlawfully) occupied already. Yelling at it doesn't alter that fact. Actually, the Circulator finally pulled over past 12th St, since the tour bus wasn't moving. Everyone is trying to get somewhere, and this is a tourist destination. There are lots of drivers, including tour bus drivers, just trying to navigate the streets as best as they can. Deal with it.
    3. The speed limit on Jefferson if 15mph. If you are in that much of a hurry, take Independence or another street.

  12. #6198
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Full moon.
    Lots of special going on today.

  13. Likes Steve O liked this post
  14. #6199
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    Full moon.
    Lots of special going on today.
    That was me and LeprosyStudyGroup who said "hi" to you yesterday morning on the 4 Mile Run detour! The elusive and rare OneEighth sighting.

  15. Likes OneEighth liked this post
  16. #6200
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian74 View Post
    That was me and LeprosyStudyGroup who said "hi" to you yesterday morning on the 4 Mile Run detour! The elusive and rare OneEighth sighting.
    Great to see you both out enjoying the awesome riding weather.
    Gotta say, there's something really nice about knowing that you are likely to see someone you know on the commute.
    Am still waiting for someone to recognize me when I'm sitting on the moto stuck in 15th Street traffic.
    Last edited by OneEighth; 06-08-2017 at 12:55 PM.

  17. Likes ian74 liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •