Likes Likes:  7,481
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 577 of 677 FirstFirst ... 77477527567575576577578579587627 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,770 of 6765

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Was just half a mile to the polling place. Took a "long" route home to get the heart rate up a bit, but it wasn't much, so I think I will bike to a distant restaurant for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone on here over the past year or two that's encouraged me to stop being a baby and still ride in temps below 40. I took the advice a few of you gave me and bought a buff, which made a HUGE difference this morning--in the past I wouldn't even commute when it was below 40 on my ride in (today it was ~38 when I started). Pulling it up over my mouth and nose when I hit the hills at the start of my ride kept my cold-weather induced asthma at bay, which made the whole ride not just bearable, but actually enjoyable. I'm sure I looked like a floral-print loving bank robber, but it was worth it

I will have to start using shoe covers when it's in the high 30s/low 40s though. Having my toes get freezing and then go numb 1/2 way into a 14 mile ride wasn't fun. But the fact my lungs were fine was a huge win!

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My morning (and evening) commute have some weird temperature variations that are making my clothing choices interesting. When I leave my house in Capitol Hill, it's cold-ish, but it's noticeably warmer once I hit the tidal basin and through G-town. Then the temperature drops a bit as I hit the CCT, then stays relatively steady until it drops dramatically once I cross the river and go up the hill into FFX County. I think when it's really hot or really cold, the temperature swings aren't that noticeable, but the in-between temps make it really obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

My local hardware store had handwarmers at $.50 apiece a month ago, when it was nice and warm out. I bought 3 boxes. Hint: you can stuff them in shoes, and they kick out more heat than the ridiculous foot warmers.

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2426.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	12724

In addition to their fine insulating qualities, covers give the ninja shoes stealth capability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    In addition to their fine insulating qualities, covers give the ninja shoes stealth capability.
    Wait, isn't the word "GORE" on the toe printed in reflective material? That would not be ninja.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Thanks to everyone on here over the past year or two that's encouraged me to stop being a baby and still ride in temps below 40. I took the advice a few of you gave me and bought a buff, which made a HUGE difference this morning--in the past I wouldn't even commute when it was below 40 on my ride in (today it was ~38 when I started). Pulling it up over my mouth and nose when I hit the hills at the start of my ride kept my cold-weather induced asthma at bay, which made the whole ride not just bearable, but actually enjoyable. I'm sure I looked like a floral-print loving bank robber, but it was worth it

I will have to start using shoe covers when it's in the high 30s/low 40s though. Having my toes get freezing and then go numb 1/2 way into a 14 mile ride wasn't fun. But the fact my lungs were fine was a huge win!
    Now you just have to join in Freezing Saddles, and still ride in temps below 10.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Seemed like a noticeable fall-off in commuters on the CCT this morning....odd, since it wasn't really that cold, but I guess we're just at that point in the year where people start to go into auto hibernation.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that school buses had car alarms, but they do! While stopped on EB Walter Reed Dr at the intersection with Arlington Mill Dr this morning, I heard a car alarm going off in the distance. To my surprise, a school bus drove by (WB, turning left onto Arlington Mill Dr) with its alarm going off, the bus driver attempting to turn it off in vain.

...I hope it wasn't stolen, but at least I didn't see any passengers (i.e., schoolkids) on-board.

Also, it was chilly, but I could see my breath, so no shorts this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Also, it was chilly, but I could see my breath, so no shorts this morning.
    I usually go the other way and add layers as it gets colder.