Page 566 of 638 FirstFirst ... 66466516556564565566567568576616 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,660 of 6378

Thread: My Morning Commute

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a belated post for yesterday's morning commute.

I rode to work (west on the W&OD) later than normal after having done the MacAurthur lollipop in the morning. As I was approaching Hunter Mill intersection, but was still a fair ways away (20-30 yards?) a car began stopping to let me cross. That's nice. Only the SUV two cars back didn't stop at all and plowed into the car in front of them and then hit the original car who had stopped at the intersection. So a three-car accident before I'd even arrived at the intersection. My work here is done.

I've definitely witnessed some screeching brakes from inattentive drivers, but this is the first time I've indirectly caused an accident. (The cars were traveling pretty slowly so no one appeared hurt; there was damage, bumper damage. I hung out for a bit and gave them my contact info. I didn't wait for the police, since I'm not sure they would have cared to talk to me. Plus due to some confusion, the participants in this accident hadn't even called the police after 10 minutes.)

WTF, people!? Pay attention to the cars in front of you, especially when you're approaching a crossing !!!

2. Likes vern liked this post
    ELITE Subby ELITED this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    This is a belated post for yesterday's morning commute.

I rode to work (west on the W&OD) later than normal after having done the MacAurthur lollipop in the morning. As I was approaching Hunter Mill intersection, but was still a fair ways away (20-30 yards?) a car began stopping to let me cross. That's nice. Only the SUV two cars back didn't stop at all and plowed into the car in front of them and then hit the original car who had stopped at the intersection. So a three-car accident before I'd even arrived at the intersection. My work here is done.

I've definitely witnessed some screeching brakes from inattentive drivers, but this is the first time I've indirectly caused an accident. (The cars were traveling pretty slowly so no one appeared hurt; there was damage, bumper damage. I hung out for a bit and gave them my contact info. I didn't wait for the police, since I'm not sure they would have cared to talk to me. Plus due to some confusion, the participants in this accident hadn't even called the police after 10 minutes.)

WTF, people!? Pay attention to the cars in front of you, especially when you're approaching a crossing !!!
    I've seen it at the MVT/GWMP crossing, although never been the direct cause. I imagine it must be an odd feeling...not really guilt, but maybe that they likely blame you? since drivers tend to blame everyone but themselves....

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If only they had heeded the warnings that it was car free day, this crash could have been avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes hozn, LeprosyStudyGroup, Steve O liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I've seen it at the MVT/GWMP crossing, although never been the direct cause. I imagine it must be an odd feeling...not really guilt, but maybe that they likely blame you? since drivers tend to blame everyone but themselves....
    Yeah, you're right. I felt bad that 3 people had their day (at least) ruined because I was riding my bike -- and because the person in front was doing the right (or at least nice) thing by stopping for me.

It sure was a beautiful morning for a bike ride, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    You mean like teenagers?
    Last edited by OneEighth; 09-23-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Do feel bad for drivers who got hit. I instinctively brace every time I stop for the crossing.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m just grateful the cars crashed into each other and not into you. They’ve got airbags, bumpers, steel enclosures…you’ve got nothing. Not to downplay that it was a p.i.t.a. for them – no doubt it was. But the main thing is that you are fine.

I was in a somewhat similar situation three weeks ago where a driver stopped for me, and other cars behind him stopped, and I cautiously started to cross – and then another driver switched lanes and sped through the one lane that remained open. I emitted the loudest scream in my life, as I thought it was my last. I always approach these stopping-car crossings with a mix of thankfulness (for the one who stops) and terror (for all the rest of ‘em).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you're right. I felt bad that 3 people had their day (at least) ruined because I was riding my bike -- and because the person in front was doing the right (or at least nice) thing by stopping for me.

It sure was a beautiful morning for a bike ride, though.
    This made me randomly think of the Japanese term (I heard it once and read it on a site another time) Arigata-meiwaku which means:
    An act someone does for you that you didn’t want to have them do and tried to avoid having them do, but they went ahead anyway, determined to do you a favor, and then things went wrong and caused you a lot of trouble, yet in the end social conventions required you to express gratitude
    I don't think the term quite fits your situation, but I wouldn't feel too guilty about it knowing where the responsibility lies. The cause of the crash was from a driver not paying attention to the car in front of them. If they were paying attention, they would have braked and slowed to a stop like the 2 cars in front of them, and there'd be no crash. The driver in back ruined the day for 3 people, not you. I'm glad you weren't in front of said driver when it happened, too.

Maybe this is why Arlington put those electronic signs with messages like: "Do not hit car in front of you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    This made me randomly think of the Japanese term (I heard it once and read it on a site another time) Arigata-meiwaku which means:
    ."
    Komorebi is considering changing her name to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes AFHokie liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you're right. I felt bad that 3 people had their day (at least) ruined because I was riding my bike
    I would change that to feeling bad for two people. If I'm interpreting this correctly:

You: Awesome person riding bike on beautiful morning and being attentive to your surroundings
    Driver 1: Attentive, kind driver, stopping for awesome person
    Driver 2: Attentive driver braking in order to not plow into attentive, kind driver's car
    Driver 3: Moron

I would share your sympathy for Drivers 1 & 2, whose days were ruined, but not so much for Driver 3.

14. Likes hozn liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Komorebi is considering changing her name to this.
    Conveniently 7 syllables, too.

Ex-Komorebi
    Arigata-meiwaku
    Is now her new name

16. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, bobco85 liked this post