Likes Likes:  7,459
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 501 of 675 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511551601 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 6750

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Commuting to work on Tuesday was vastly different from Monday.

I took mostly the same route this morning as yesterday, riding up Beauregard from Sanger in Alexandria and using George Mason Drive to get from Barcroft towards Ballston before using Henderson to get to Glebe. On Monday, the 2 lane roads had 1-1.5 usable lanes, there were few vehicles, I had plenty of room, and getting onto Glebe was easy. However, on Tuesday, the 2 lane roads still had 1-1.5 usable lanes, but there were many more vehicles, I had less room, and Glebe was at a slow crawl. Oh, and there was a LOT more beeping going on (not at me, but it seemed at everyone and everything in general)!

Wednesday morning is going to be interesting, and sadly Glebe is unavoidable (but I will still bike to work).
    Since the trails are not clear, George Mason is an inevitable part of my morning commute... Which is why I am teleworking again today. NVRPA is plowing the Arlington sections of the W&OD today. Hopefully that means I can finally get to the office tomorrow and stop sleaze riding.

Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to take the Metro from Reston to EFC and then ride my bike the rest of the way to Crystal City. I plan to get to the Metro between 9 and 9:30. I know that bikes are forbidden between 7-10, but thought peak ridership will actually be around 10 because of the FEDS late start. I also anticipate that the Metro station manager won't follow my logic and will literally follow the rules and make me wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    My plan is to take the Metro from Reston to EFC and then ride my bike the rest of the way to Crystal City. I plan to get to the Metro between 9 and 9:30. I know that bikes are forbidden between 7-10, but thought peak ridership will actually be around 10 because of the FEDS late start. I also anticipate that the Metro station manager won't follow my logic and will literally follow the rules and make me wait.
    I picked up a bike in DC on black friday and tried to metro out from union station at around 4:30pm. They refused to allow me entry despite the 3/4 empty trains.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Metro station manager following the in the footsteps of Scalia, refuses to let me in. Metro doing everything it can to enhance ridership.

Post Thanks / Like

The metro was standing room only at Dunn Loring this am at 8:30...so good luck with that. ;-)

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no problems on the roads until I hit 123, which had a wall of snow right up to the fog line, as well as a line of cars backed up for about a mile. So I took my secret detour, which added about 2 miles, but probably saved me time and stress in the end.

7. 01-27-2016, 11:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to do the full commute tomorrow morning. Potomac Ave ► Crystal Drive ► Long Bridge ► Boundary Channel ► Washington Blvd ► Memorial Bridge. Returning I'll plan on slogging on the trail from Memorial Bridge to the Pentagon. It's a great cardio workout.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when a fellow cyclist came up behind me on Four Mile Run Dr and it turned out to be Fast Friendly Guy! We rode together on George Mason Dr which switched between 1.5-2 lanes making traffic a little more interesting and on Henderson Rd before parting ways, but it was nice to ride with someone on my morning commute. Usually I see only a few souls with even fewer going my route.

I hear the W&OD was "cleared" between Shirlington and the Custis junction, so I will report how things are Thursday morning. The last I saw of the W&OD was a 5 foot pile of snow at the W&OD/George Mason Dr crossing, so I will be pleasantly surprised if that pile is indeed gone.

Post Thanks / Like

On Wed Morning, I took back roads from area of West Falls Church to George Mason/VA Hospital Center to ARL Courthouse, memorial bridge, east Potomac Park to SW Waterfront. at 0700 there was little traffic and roads were not bad. because of snow, there was a BIKE LANE on Memorial Bridge. Sidewalk behind the Jefferson was not clear which meant traveling against traffic to Main St but that was only 30 yds in another snow created bike lane. I heard WOD and/or Custis were clear and i wanted to try that. Return was a bit more tricky. 14th st bridge is clear but MVT is NOT. I turned back to go to Memorial Bridge. Passable on snow/ice at 1700 but then I had to get on GW and travel around the circle because path to Cemetery was snow covered. path around cemetery to Iwo Jima is clear. Then I took back roads again through Arlington. It did look like Custis was clear in spots. When I got to corner of W and Rt 7 (near Mike Deli); the walls of snow had been plowed and looks like WOD in Falls Church is clear. I might try the WOD this morning but will cut off at Rossly to avoid what I am sure is still a snow covered MVT.

although, at these temps and ICE it is probably safe to be on metro today. sounds like the call to avoid the cattle cars on Wed was a good one!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Other than a detour to avoid the ice covered 395 pedestrian bridge in Shirlington, my morning commute was not too bad. This was my first day back at the office after Snowzilla, so I was not 100% sure to expect, especially on George Mason. Things were icy (a few spots were slick as glass), but my low pressure, super grippy mountain bike tires did okay (but I am so glad that my studded tires will be in this afternoon, thanks Pete!).

I did check out the W&OD last night from Mile 0 to the Custis spur. The huge pile on the west side of the trail at Walter Reed has not been cleared, so getting back on the trail after crossing WR might be tricky. I would recommend taking Four Mile Run until George Mason. From George Mason to Wilson, the trail was (probably all frozen this morning) a mix of dry pavement, chunky ice, slush, hard pack snow, and non-packed snow. I would say 85% of it was rideable on my mountain bike without studded tires. Studs would have made me feel a lot more confident and probably gotten me through some of the parts that were unrideable by me.

I am hoping todays sun and above freezing temperatures will help clear the last couple of inches of ice and snow off the trail. I will commute home that way and check it out.