Likes Likes:  7,422
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 173 of 673 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 6726

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good thing we got that rain. Last night, almost everything near me (Ballston area) was covered in what seemed like a sheet of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by guga31bb View Post
    ...the overpasses are apparently made out of some sort of magical cold-retaining substance...)
    Here's an explanation of why the overpasses are always the coldest: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nat...uestion566.htm

Post Thanks / Like

You raise a good point.
    It's not bad enough to need studs more than occasionally. Almost easier to just ride on the road and not deal with switching things out.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me a wimp but a day like this takes all the joy out of the ride. I took Metro.

Those of you who use studs, what do you do, keep a second set of wheels? Or do you actually change the tires when you need studs?

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I switched to the studs and was glad of it. I could have gotten by without, but in several spots on both the trails and the road I was a bit more confident because of them. I'll just be extra slow going home.

I got replacement wheels a few months ago, so the studs are mounted on my stock wheels. That would have made for a very easy switch if the old wheels weren't slightly narrower, requiring a brake adjustment too.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

After sleeping in, the roads were fine on 28s. I was going to go over the Key bridge because it is shorter, but force of habit put me on the TR bridge. The troll bridge was a mess but OK at 10 mph. Not many had passed over the TR bridge since TwoWheels.
    Last edited by DismalScientist; 12-09-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: To all you haters out there that ELITED my first post, have you ever seen me without my extra Monday morning beauty rest?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Or do you actually change the tires when you need studs?
    It's a lot easier just to change bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dry feet equipment breakthrough

Around 7 A.M. this morning, when it was time to bike to work, it was raining. I've got spandex shoe covers but they keep my feet dry for maybe five minutes when it's raining before I start to feel the water soaking my sock and shoes. This morning I had a breakthrough. After putting on my cycling shoes, I put each foot in one of those thin plastic produce bags from the grocery store. Then I pulled the spandex shoe covers on over the bags--instant waterproof layer. The tops of the bags were secured under the elastic cuffs of the rain pants so my shoes and socks were all waterproofed. Clipping into the pedals punched holes in the thin plastic, but only at the clips. It worked--when I took off the rain gear at the office, my shoes and socks were completely dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aguy7 View Post
    Around 7 A.M. this morning, when it was time to bike to work, it was raining. I've got spandex shoe covers but they keep my feet dry for maybe five minutes when it's raining before I start to feel the water soaking my sock and shoes. This morning I had a breakthrough. After putting on my cycling shoes, I put each foot in one of those thin plastic produce bags from the grocery store. Then I pulled the spandex shoe covers on over the bags--instant waterproof layer. The tops of the bags were secured under the elastic cuffs of the rain pants so my shoes and socks were all waterproofed. Clipping into the pedals punched holes in the thin plastic, but only at the clips. It worked--when I took off the rain gear at the office, my shoes and socks were completely dry.
    Just make sure not to sweat too much, because then you'll get wet from the inside out!

Post Thanks / Like

Call me a wimp but a day like this takes all the joy out of the ride. I took Metro.

Those of you who use studs, what do you do, keep a second set of wheels? Or do you actually change the tires when you need studs?
    Different wheel sets for different tires.
    But then, I also switch cranks and chains because the gearing changes based on the tires and intended use. Pedals change, too, and the oh-sh*t brake comes off to accommodate the fat studded tires.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, second set of wheels.