Likes Likes:  7,481
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 164 of 677 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264664 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 6764

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    In my rush to avoid standing out in my cold shed, I forgot to put my helmet on this morning...wearing a skullcap + balaclava gave my head the same sensation as wearing a helmet, so I didn't notice it until I was halfway to work. I did not die and the earth did not fly off its axis.
    Just more proof that bikes are best kept just inside the front door!

Wool under WindStopper seems to the be recipe that keeps me warm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default knickers.... why?

Apart from the obvious fashion / style points, what are the benefits of knickers over full-length tights? Is it for when it's too cold for shorts but not cold enough for pants?

Thanks

As for my layering today;
    Top half: Under Amour compression long-sleeve mock coldgear + UA fitted long-sleeve mock coldgear + windbreaker + turlefur (this was the first time w/ both UA layers on)
    Bottom half: tights, sweatpants, hiking socks, shoe cover
    hands: glove liner, and my normal gloves (fingers were cold)

Arrived a little sweaty, but not too bad. I was careful not to push it too hard up the hills.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregBain View Post
    Apart from the obvious fashion / style points, what are the benefits of knickers over full-length tights? Is it for when it's too cold for shorts but not cold enough for pants?
    Yeah, exactly. Knickers (or knee warmers) are useful when full-length tights would be too hot. I think knee warmers are actually practical, because those can be rolled up and put in a jersey pocket for the warmer commute home. While I do have a pair, I think knickers are some of the most niche / least useful articles of cycling clothing. (When you want your knees covered because it's too cold, are you really going to be sweating by wearing full-length tights? I suspect not.) I survived just fine with tights for years. But the knee warmers thing just makes it possible to commute backpack free for a few more days the year, and I value that.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    waiting for the light at 15th and K, a bird pooped on my arm.
    That's good luck!

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yeah, exactly. Knickers (or knee warmers) are useful when full-length tights would be too hot. I think knee warmers are actually practical, because those can be rolled up and put in a jersey pocket for the warmer commute home. While I do have a pair, I think knickers are some of the most niche / least useful articles of cycling clothing. (When you want your knees covered because it's too cold, are you really going to be sweating by wearing full-length tights? I suspect not.) I survived just fine with tights for years. But the knee warmers thing just makes it possible to commute backpack free for a few more days the year, and I value that.
    1. I actually prefer knickers down into the 30s when I see lots of others with full tights. I just couple mine with long lightweight merino wool ski socks.
    2. Some of us height challenged individuals of a certain girth find that most tights in the right waist size are too long, so material may bunch up where you don't want it.
    3. Some of us old foogies with arthritic knees want our knees covered even in the low 60s, so why bother with knee warmers when you would wear them for both the morning and evening commute or for the duration of the ride?
    4. I prefer tights with no chamois pad and will wear cycling knickers instead of shorts under them on days like today, and
    5. Finally, I have always liked the look of knickers.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    1. I actually prefer knickers down into the 30s when I see lots of others with full tights. I just couple mine with long lightweight merino wool ski socks.
    2. Some of us height challenged individuals of a certain girth find that most tights in the right waist size are too long, so material may bunch up where you don't want it.
    3. Some of us old foogies with arthritic knees want our knees covered even in the low 60s, so why bother with knee warmers when you would wear them for both the morning and evening commute or for the duration of the ride?
    4. I prefer tights with no chamois pad and will wear cycling knickers instead of shorts under them on days like today, and
    5. Finally, I have always liked the look of knickers.
    Good points -- and I guess a good reminder that we're not all the same physiologically, etc. I always wear full-length tights when I break out the shoe covers [or certainly boots] which is around 45F for me. I like knees warm up into low 60s too, honestly; I just find the days rare when that make sense for morning & evening. The other points don't really apply to me, though I tend to agree with #5 -- they generally look "better" (though that feels weird to say in cycling when everything that is cycling clothing looks completely ridiculous to the other 95% of the population).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GregBain View Post

Thanks
    Any conflict between comfort and aesthetics is resolved by Rule #5.

Honestly, like most things, you have to find what works for you. I've got full length tights for lower temps or wet plus temps in the low 20's.
    Last edited by OneEighth; 11-25-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Men in Tights left a mark.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who is vertically challenged I have ended up with more knickers than tights/pants because no manufacturer seems to make pants for the petite set. And it costs a small fortune to bring them to a tailor when there are leg zippers involved. I wear my knickers with SmartWool's knee length Ph.D. socks when it gets into the 30s and 40s.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that sizing issues are rare when I buy mass marketed khakis.

Post Thanks / Like

After freezing yesterday, I went out in full winter regalia today and ended up sweltering. But, easy to problem to solve by removing a layer. Although my commute also took me an extra 15 minutes with all the putting on and taking off of layers. I need warm cycling shoes that don't need covers and warm pants that don't require layering. Any suggestions?