Likes Likes:  7,481
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 11 of 677 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Certifried View Post
    Sligo Creek Parkway was closed tonight for, I assume, salting. I guess it's going to freeze tonight. It was fun to have the entire road to myself (until I came across the salt truck lol)

Sligo Creek Parkway was closed for, I believe, salting the road?! I guess it will freeze tonight? by certifried, on Flickr
    If they're preapplying now then it will probably rain a ton in November making it useless. Always seems to be how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to do my commute twice today. I forgot my laptop, and I can't really do anything constructive without it. I would have worked at home, but there are only three of us on the team - one on vacation drinking beer in Germany, and one at home with a 5 day old baby. So it's just me.

Oh, woe is me, I had to bike to work twice. And home once already. Woe, woe is me. Truly a tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I had to do my commute twice today. I forgot my laptop, and I can't really do anything constructive without it. I would have worked at home, but there are only three of us on the team - one on vacation drinking beer in Germany, and one at home with a 5 day old baby. So it's just me.

Oh, woe is me, I had to bike to work twice. And home once already. Woe, woe is me. Truly a tragedy.
    5 day old? Their eyes are open at that point, right? He can't leave a bowl of milk out for it? That guy should've gone in

Post Thanks / Like

The Bike portion of my commute was fine today. However, during the 4 wheel portion of my commute I think someone declared it "Red lights are only a suggestion" day for everyone. I saw 4 really egregious red light violations. Egregious, as in they weren't even close to the intersection when the light turned, but proceed through a fully red light. In reverse chronological order: #1 came around me after I had fully stopped at the red, and just blew through the intersection (big pick-up). The second was a bike, and he nearly caused a multi-car-and-bike event because he was running a red on Rhode Island Avenue. The third was on Constitution Avenue -- I don't know what the guy was thinking (or texting), but he just kept going well after the light had turned. Unfortunately, it was not at one of the camera intersections. The last was near home, and involved a small car following an oversize vehicle way too closely, so that she couldn't see, so she followed after the truck that had already run the red pretty badly himself. I think there was also one on 5th St. but I guess I've blocked that one out.

Be careful out there!

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPTJohnC View Post
    The third was on Constitution Avenue -- I don't know what the guy was thinking (or texting), but he just kept going well after the light had turned.
    Constitution is the worst. I used to cross it (at 21/20th NW) on my commute, and cars routinely would blow through the red -- I honestly think some drivers just tune out the whole "traffic lights on the side" thing. If only MPD/NPP would EVER enforce the rules here...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Constitution is the worst. I used to cross it (at 21/20th NW) on my commute, and cars routinely would blow through the red -- I honestly think some drivers just tune out the whole "traffic lights on the side" thing. If only MPD/NPP would EVER enforce the rules here...
    I wish I were talking about blowing through a late yellow/ early red. This guy went through on full red, with cars stopped and waiting.

I'm not a huge fan of red light cameras, but I will admit that they do change behavior, at least when people know they're there. The camera at 15th has really helped, at least right there, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I, on the other hand, am a huge fan of red light cameras. They do change behavior, and I don't really see a down side. (No, I don't care about increased incidence of low speed rear-end collisions; I'd rather have a thousand fender benders than one squashed kid--it's just a hunk of metal getting bent.) Also, as a driver, I find that traffic flows much better when you don't have "just one more" car going through after the red and getting stuck in the intersection.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the big issue about the high fees in D.C. that's been all over the news recently. Um, if you don't like the high fee, don't run a red light or speed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Certifried View Post
    I don't understand the big issue about the high fees in D.C. that's been all over the news recently. Um, if you don't like the high fee, don't run a red light or speed!
    Crazy talk!

Post Thanks / Like

Amazed at the brilliant colors this morning, but they will soon be gone after the election and most of the signs go away. The leaves looked nice too.