Likes Likes:  7,459
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 101 of 675 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 6750

Thread: My Morning Commute

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    I feel 10 inches tall for getting passed by a chick in a business skirt barely pedaling..... Then I noticed as she pulled away, she had a electric motor on the back tire... I tried to catch up so I could yell aloud 'CHEEAAATTEER' but she was running red lights..... She looked to be under 35. I hope her battery died on the big 15 street hill.
    I hear you! EBikes are just horrible for my ego too. There is this woman.... OH! I cannot tell me how much she drives me crazy. For like 6 months up the Arlington hill, this woman would just fly past me up the hill as I struggle to get my grannygear to work. And I admit, I regularly call her 'cheater.' Every time it crushed my sense of man-ness. I have had to go get testosterone therapy. I hate cheaters just as much as I hate priuses.

I saw the cheater woman this weekend. She had her Baskfiet filled with little kids, powered with an ebike! So how are you DASGEH??

Okay, I am goofing. Real ebikes - the bikes that are pedal assisted that simply give people a boost (as opposed to mopeds) - I think are fabulous. Certainly in Arlington, some of our hills are just breakers. The idea that ebikes enable cycling and promote this type of transportation I think is wonderful. I kind of assume an ebike will be in my future not too far off - and the idea that I can stay on a bicycle instead of having to give up and get in a car - is grand. The idea that ebikes can help people who want to cycle get on a bike - that's not cheating and it certainly is not a threat to my ego.

Now the 25 year old turks that fly down the trail 24 mph and make me look like a granny.... yes, I am still in therapy for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    When confronted with stairs and an escalator, I almost always choose the escalator. Seems like an ebike is about the same sensible choice.
    And I almost always choose the stairs. I suspect it says something about my lack of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Still, I am a firm believer that if embracing ebikes is key to making cycling a real, normal transportation option for many (most? all?)>
    In all seriousness, I don't disagree; for many people who have modest length commutes, ebikes or similar conveyances make lots of sense (I see a couple of folks who commute by segway, for example). If one is using it for transportation, one certainly isn't 'cheating' from an objective standpoint. But I do think that all e-bikes should be required to display some sort of huge, loud signage, so that my poor, fragile ego isn't crushed.

As to visibility of infirmity: Yes, you are correct- there are numerous types of health issues that don't manifest in obvious ways. And no, I don't think they need to wear large, hideous signs to 'prove' their infirmity. But can't they try to look sick while the pass me on the hills?

I have the same lack of sympathy problem with handicapped parking spaces, and folks who appear to have nothing, whatsoever, wrong with them as they walk the 10 steps into the shop... I'm a bad person.
    Last edited by CPTJohnC; 07-29-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: consolidation of replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    When confronted with stairs and an escalator, I almost always choose the escalator. Seems like an ebike is about the same sensible choice.
    I choose stairs! (I've seen the future, and it is WALL-E.)

Amalitza Guest

I walk up the escalator.

Which sounds about like the walking equivalent of e-assist up the hills. Would purchase of an e-bike count towards my new year's goal of getting better at hills? hmmm....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    I feel 10 inches tall for getting passed by a chick in a business skirt barely pedaling..... Then I noticed as she pulled away, she had a electric motor on the back tire... I tried to catch up so I could yell aloud 'CHEEAAATTEER' but she was running red lights..... She looked to be under 35. I hope her battery died on the big 15 street hill.
    If a woman under 35 in a professional skirt on a bike passes me, generally the first thing I think is not "Cheater"... it's usually unprintable.

I want a girl with a short skirt, and a loooooooong jacket.

Rock on, business lady. Just stop running reds. Or at least stop before you do.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acl View Post
    Would purchase of an e-bike count towards my new year's goal of getting better at hills? hmmm....
    Yes, definitely. Depending on the motor and the setting it's on, you definitely still work on the hills. You're welcome to try out the loaded eBakfiets. I tried it on Culpepper on Saturday. That hurt.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPTJohnC View Post
    I have the same lack of sympathy problem with handicapped parking spaces, and folks who appear to have nothing, whatsoever, wrong with them as they walk the 10 steps into the shop... I'm a bad person.

Yeah, I hear that one too. And this is a serious response. While handicap abuse burns me up (and we have a lot of it around my office), I have a good friend who has a disc missing from his back. He can walk those 10 steps into the shop.... but he cannot walk the 11th. It's difficult. On the one hand, I wish there was better enforcement to nix the fraud; on the other hand - what it is that is going on with that person is not always readily apparently to the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like

The parking spaces along L'Enfant Promenade were once filled with cars with handicapped tags, often the kind hanging from the rear view mirror. I am certain that unless L'Enfant Plaza was a mysterious cluster of handicapped people, that many of these were bogus. What a shame that this sort of abuse ruins something that is obviously needed by the few among us who are impaired.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    The parking spaces along L'Enfant Promenade were once filled with cars with handicapped tags, often the kind hanging from the rear view mirror. I am certain that unless L'Enfant Plaza was a mysterious cluster of handicapped people, that many of these were bogus. What a shame that this sort of abuse ruins something that is obviously needed by the few among us who are impaired.
    IIRC, the issue in DC is that handicap tag = free on street parking, and there aren't very many "reserved" on street handicap spots. I get how the moral quandary is different: I have this handicap tag that I don't deserve (either it's someone else's, or I did need it and now don't), and I could use it but then I'll take a space from someone who really can't walk the 11th step v. I could use it and all that happens in DC Parking gets less money.

I still think it's abusing a system, and you shouldn't do it, but the victim is different.

Moral of the story: DC parking sucks. It's due in large part to having so many federal buildings (which don't offer public fee-based parking), but the DC parking regulations don't help.

Post Thanks / Like

There is only way to "cheat" on a bicycle and that's by shoaling. (I guess two ways if you knocked people over, but let's not go there). I get passed by the people on cabis at lights all the time. Men in full suits, women in long flowery dresses with sandals on and then I end up passing them 7 feet later. Then the cycle starts anew because somehow being on a bicycle to them means there is no line. The downside is it often causes me to miss a light cycle because I can't pass them without endangering both riders. Now those are the true cheaters.