Page 345 of 638 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355395445 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,450 of 6378

Thread: My Morning Commute

  1. #3441
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Let's be honest: if any one of us cyclists wants style points, I'm pretty sure the first thing to do is get out of the cycling gear.
    +1

    Yes, I guess I meant even within the greater cycling community. I agree we all look like freaks to non-cyclists; that is a lost cause.

  2. #3442
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Almost certainly at least one has been broken for a while leading to progressive failure. It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the lower left fracture is partially shiny and partially corroded, as it would for an old developing crack.
    I think this is right. The last couple of days I've been hearing some light creaking and it was much louder last night on the way home. I had assumed my BB was creaking and was going to look at it over the weekend. I guess it wasn't the BB.

  3. #3443
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingman762 View Post
    I think this is right. The last couple of days I've been hearing some light creaking and it was much louder last night on the way home. I had assumed my BB was creaking and was going to look at it over the weekend. I guess it wasn't the BB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mnhi4akknF1ribxdro1_1280.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	6974

  4. #3444
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Yes, I guess I meant even within the greater cycling community. I agree we all look like freaks to non-cyclists; that is a lost cause.
    I think the cycling sandals are odd-looking within a cycling context, but they look pretty normal outside that context. In any case, I'm impressed that I've not been uncomfortable in them this late in the season. Apparently Sheldon Brown wore his year round, and claimed that because circulation in the foot is better with sandals than winter cycling shoes, the feet stayed warm more easily. I'm incredibly cheap, so I will likely be putting that theory to the test, rather than getting winter shoes.
    Last edited by dkel; 11-06-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I'll also add: I think to non-cyclists, it goes way deeper than looking like a freak!

  5. #3445
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westover Beer Garden
    Posts
    2,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I'm incredibly cheap, ...
    Your fixed gear project suggests otherwise.

  6. #3446
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,719
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Your fixed gear project suggests otherwise.
    That's different, that's a bike. It's the same principle as the two stomachs everyone has - one for dinner that gets filled quickly, and one for dessert that is perpetually empty.

  7. Likes Amalitza, bobco85, rcannon100 liked this post
  8. #3447
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    That's different, that's a bike. It's the same principle as the two stomachs everyone has - one for dinner that gets filled quickly, and one for dessert that is perpetually empty.
    My dinner stomach must be defective. It seems to act more like my dessert stomach.

  9. Likes rcannon100, jrenaut, culimerc, Steve O liked this post
  10. #3448
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Apparently Sheldon Brown wore his year round, and claimed that because circulation in the foot is better with sandals than winter cycling shoes, the feet stayed warm more easily. I'm incredibly cheap, so I will likely be putting that theory to the test, rather than getting winter shoes.
    This sounds crazy, but keep us updated! For me, the issue is wind. The sandals don't seem to offer much there.


    Oh, and wanting nonflexible soles is really the only reason I buy cycling-specific footwear -- for road bike anyway (for MTB being physically attached to the pedal is very convenient). I don't understand what cycling sandals offer that you can't get with regular sandals and flat pedals. But in have never tried them, so likely there is something I am missing.

  11. #3449
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I don't understand what cycling sandals offer that you can't get with regular sandals and flat pedals. But in have never tried them, so likely there is something I am missing.
    Stiffer soles, basically they are touring shoes that dont fit quite as well.

  12. #3450
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    2,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    This sounds crazy, but keep us updated! For me, the issue is wind. The sandals don't seem to offer much there.


    Oh, and wanting nonflexible soles is really the only reason I buy cycling-specific footwear -- for road bike anyway (for MTB being physically attached to the pedal is very convenient). I don't understand what cycling sandals offer that you can't get with regular sandals and flat pedals. But in have never tried them, so likely there is something I am missing.
    One day I forgot to bring socks, and my feet were cold in the evening for several minutes, but then warmed up. The temperature was around 50, if I recall correctly. I have been surprised that my feet aren't colder, but I'm also surprised that my legs have not been cold wearing shorts, even down to 42 degrees. I wore tights Sunday afternoon, and was too hot, even in that dreadful wind. Aside from temperature, the soles of the sandals are stiffer than any regular shoe I have, though I'm sure the are not as stiff as other cycling shoes. So I can't complain! (Except that they squeak horribly on the pedals. That may be the pedals as much as the shoes, though.)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •