Page 600 of 628 FirstFirst ... 100500550590598599600601602610 ... LastLast
Results 5,991 to 6,000 of 6280

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    I found the flying monkeys more disconcerting than the gusts on the ride in this morning.
    My legs are so totally looking forward to the ride home!
    The wind will change directions by then

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever wondered what the bottom of a Spot-a-Pot/Port-a-John/Jiffy John/Porta Potty/Don's Johns looks like, Ma Nature's gusts have helped to sate your curiosity. Head to the Anacostia Waterfront trail for 2 fine specimens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Mar 02, 10 46 19 AM.jpeg_20170302.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	14062

3. Likes highline, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    If you ever wondered what the bottom of a Spot-a-Pot/Port-a-John/Jiffy John/Porta Potty/Don's Johns looks like, Ma Nature's gusts have helped to sate your curiosity. Head to the Anacostia Waterfront trail for 2 fine specimens.

Name:	File Mar 02, 10 46 19 AM.jpeg_20170302.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	14062

Post Thanks / Like

Still some v. nice sunrises on the morning commute, though getting toward the tail end. Since we slip back into morning darkness Saturday night, there should be some more opportunities in a couple of weeks. Best spring I can remember in years for sunrises, I guess because it hasn't rained as much.

Name:	20170306_063158_001.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	14129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170306_063331_001.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	14130

I suppose these could have been posted on the pics of your ride thread, so apologies to those who care about such things, and times being what they are.

6. Likes dasgeh, Judd, Emm, bentbike33, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The commute was good except for the right turn on red driver and the harassing driver.

1. Marriot at Key Bridge Parking garage driveway, which is a road with traffic lights and no turn on red signs. It was green for Lee Hwy and for the trail. Driver came out of garage, drove up the hill and continued through the crosswalk and made a right - I had to brake hard to not hit him. He didn't look to his right at all. Then I yelled and gestured at him, but he cared not.

2. On the Connector Rd from Boundary Channel Dr to N Rotary Dr at the Pentagon (i.e., the 110 overpass) it is one lane with a median to the left and a no travel area to the right that is both usually full of crud and the line between the two is an ever enlarging pot hole. I am nearing the top of the hill and I head a car honking his horn at me as if his life depended on his getting passed me NOW. I look back to make sure it isn't some kind of emergency vehicle without sirens or a "friend" thinking he is being funny. Nope. He passes me, less then 3 ft, of course, and it is a DC plated orange Fit (I think) with an Uber sticker in the window. I did effectively catch up to him, but it was where I needed to turn off, so no interaction aside from my yells and gestures on the overpass.

Post Thanks / Like

Commute? What commute? I played hooky and rode to Maryland on the ART and it was wonderful.

9. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, CaseyKane50, ginacico liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning commute was fine, albeit a bit cold. But I brought my tire chains along, because I suspect tonight's will not be so fine.

11. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the advantages of this unseasonably cold weather is that I finally get to test out my new toys. A couple of days ago it was the tire chains; today it was the electrically heated jacket and gloves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    One of the advantages of this unseasonably cold weather is that I finally get to test out my new toys. A couple of days ago it was the tire chains; today it was the electrically heated jacket and gloves.
    How were the electric gloves and coat? I nearly bought electric socks once, but the reviews online were mostly negative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    How were the electric gloves and coat? I nearly bought electric socks once, but the reviews online were mostly negative.
    They were great! I decided to give them the acid test this morning: I wore only a t-shirt underneath, on a day that was 21 and windy. When I left the house, I set the heat on high. Twenty minutes later, I realized I was a little too warm, and stopped and moved it to medium. And I probably could have reduced it to low.

The other nice thing is that it preheats when you first turn it on. So you don't have that moment when you first walk outside and are freezing, before the coat warms up.

My thought is to use it in two situations: First, when it is in the 20s or below, and my normal biking jacket isn't really warm enough. I've been using my LLBean down jacket for those days, but it's large and heavy, and noticeably slows my speed. The second is on those days when the temperature is 20 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. Because I can turn the heat in the jacket down, or even off, having this jacket means I don't have to worry about carrying clothes that are now too warm to wear.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 03-15-2017 at 01:58 PM.

15. Likes dasgeh liked this post