Page 593 of 637 FirstFirst ... 93493543583591592593594595603 ... LastLast
Results 5,921 to 5,930 of 6363

Thread: My Morning Commute

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This AM there seemed to be a surprising number of vehicles for a Friday before a three day weekend, and lots of odd behavior.
    Last Friday, as I biked my kid to preschool, I pulled up to a red beside a car that was inexplicably half in the bike lane (I was SB on Quincy, stopping at Glebe, for those familiar). His window was down, so I say in my sunniest voice "beautiful morning, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't drive in the bike lane". Driver guy: "there's no bike lane on Quincy". #SMH Can we get the PBL already?

2. Likes kwarkentien, secstate, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was sort of like biking in a prison exercise yard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7032.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	13298

But it was a really nice prison exercise yard.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I seriously felt like half my ride into work was spent slamming my brakes trying to avoid the furry little kamikazes. I stopped counting at 5 close calls, and I still had ~8 miles left to bike to work at that point.
    Don't do this; they will dodge you. I think it's more dangerous to try to avoid them than to just keep riding along.
    Shoot, I've been trying for years to actually hit one and have yet to be successful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Shoot, I've been trying for years to actually hit one and have yet to be successful.
    I've hit two when I couldn't slow down fast enough! One I just side swiped and I stayed upright, the other I hit harder but I was going slow enough to mostly stay upright. Squirrel limped away. I think maybe I only got it's tail.

I also hit a bird last year. Luckily we both survived since it was small and soft. There was a freaked out moment when it didn't know what to do after it hit my handlebars, but it sorted itself out and flew away. It was some small songbird.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Don't do this; they will dodge you. I think it's more dangerous to try to avoid them than to just keep riding along.
    obligatory: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nst-squirrels/

7. Likes kwarkentien, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever a squirrel gets too close to my path, I emit a sharp exaggerated throaty German back "ch" sound. This terrifies them and they scurry away from my bicycle as fast as possible. Without fail.

Come to think of it, humans might react likewise...

9. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Whenever a squirrel gets too close to my path, I emit a sharp exaggerated throaty German back "ch" sound. This terrifies them and they scurry away from my bicycle as fast as possible. Without fail.

Come to think of it, humans might react likewise...

Two words: Hope hubs.

11. Likes scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I see squirrels and bunnies squashed on the trail fairly regularly, I don't think they're always just going to avoid you. As mentioned before, I've had many close calls with kamikaze bunnies, and I always worried I'd go over the bars if I hit one. I still think that's possible, but a coworker killed one last winter on the Custis and did not tonk. So it's not a certainty, but I do seem to end up on the ground more than most so I'm probably going to end up there again if I hit one.

No morning commute today because of the ... closures.

Post Thanks / Like

Squirrels seem to be a worse hazard than rabbits to me as they seem to change directions more often. I just slow down and let them do their thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Small animals are pretty squishy. You'd be surprised how easy they are to roll over, even at speed.

I'm not suggesting you try to, but I'm definitely of the mind that I don't make huge efforts to swerve and slam brakes on when they jump out. Moderate brakes, hold my line, hope they dodge.

Unless its a kitty. I will crash to avoid a kitty.

15. Likes kwarkentien, secstate liked this post