Likes Likes:  7,300
Dislikes Dislikes:  69
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 652 of 664 FirstFirst ... 152552602642650651652653654662 ... LastLast
Results 6,511 to 6,520 of 6640

Thread: My Morning Commute

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    That's the correct thing to do if you're a pedestrian on a road, it's only horribly wrong if you're on a bike or a pedestrian on a trail.
    Yesterday PM, I rode around the Pentagon to Long Bridge Drive. I was feeling slow coming back from M Street, so I rode the sidewalk (please no sidewalk shaming for that) on the east side of Boundary Channel, then rode onto the Boundary Channel left lane where the sidewalk ends to pass under the highway, my usual route when I don't get onto Boundary Channel back by the footbridge from LBJ grove. There was a rider on a CaBi bike who was also on the sidewalk, but he proceeded south against traffic, in the shoulder, which kind of disappears. He looked pretty uncomfortable and I shouted "you are better off on this side". I hope he figured out the better way to ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday's morning commute had either two separate bike-hating-car-drivers or the same guy twice, and this is possible. Traveling over Connector Rd. from Boundary Channel Dr to N Rotary Rd at the Pentagon and some guy behind me started honking. No where for me to go with the non-lane blocked with construction signs and the road rutted such that I do not like to possibly get caught. "Oh well, tough on him and he won't get anywhere fast since they stop you at the bottom." I had peaked around and saw a small silver car. I continued on my way to Fern and while under I-395, I hear several very loud honks - the tunnel-like region made them sound loud and I nearly jumped. As I get to the red light at Army-Navy, he squeezed between me and the curb, in a small silver car, stopped to yell at me that I wasn't a car, to which I replied, "I am where I am legally supposed to be." (And maybe a few other choice words, which did include that maybe he should learn some laws first). He continued on his right turn. Somehow I doubt he checked any laws.

Post Thanks / Like

As I was waiting at the light at the top of the ramp from Water Street, another rider pulled up, then toppled over because he couldn't unclip in time. Being the kind, gentle soul that I am, I pointed to my helmet camera, assured him it was running and promised to post the footage.

I lied. Even though it's great fun to watch the clip, his shorts are visible and sufficiently unique that it would be cruel to forever memorialize his boneheaded moment.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 07-26-2018 at 12:20 PM.

4. Likes DCAKen, ian74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a flat on the Mount Vernon Ave overpass on Four Mile Run. Somebody broke a bottle in there. Another fellow cyclist said that he cleaned it while I was changing the flat. Hope it is not a regular occurrence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    Got a flat on the Mount Vernon Ave overpass on Four Mile Run. Somebody broke a bottle in there. Another fellow cyclist said that he cleaned it while I was changing the flat. Hope it is not a regular occurrence.
    What tire were you using?

Post Thanks / Like

GatorSkin 700x23. I probably need new ones though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    As I was waiting at the light at the top of the ramp from Water Street, another rider pulled up, then toppled over because he couldn't unclip in time. Being the kind, gentle soul that I am, I pointed to my helmet camera, assured him it was running and promised to post the footage.

I lied. Even though it's great fun to watch the clip, his shorts are visible and sufficiently unique that it would be cruel to forever memorialize his boneheaded moment.
    Ummm. I think the statute of limitation for embarrassment is like 7 days, so you should be good to post this now.

9. Likes Brett L., Steve O, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You: In your white BMW convertible, hurrying to park for your morning round of golf at ANCC
    Me: Pedaling my way through the country club shortcut from CCCC
    You: Bottoming out on the speed hump, because the mental effort of passing a cyclist on a completely empty road AND being aware of road conditions was a bit challenging for you.
    Me: <snicker>

11. Likes bentbike33, Emm, Tania, KWL, Jenkinms, dasgeh liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Second day of e-bike commuting. My intention isn't to totally replace my conventional bikes, but rather to e-bike on days where I'm too lazy to ride. Typically, those are days I ride my motorcycle, but now with the work on the GWMP and the heat, I'd rather avoid my motorcycle until summer is over.

Anyway, today I rode in my work clothes...12.5 miles with one big hill (1 mile, 3% average grade) and some rollers at the end, and I wasn't sweaty when I got in. Total riding time is similar to my un-boosted commute, but it's nice to just relax and enjoy the cool (relatively) breeze.

13. Likes Emm, Judd, Tania, Sunyata, buschwacker, Steve O, Dewey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful morning, warm, sunny, lots of people and pets out for exercise. On the MUP section of the Rt 50 trail under Ft Myer Heights was perhaps not the best place for the dog walker to stand in one lane and let their two pooches wander across the other lane entirely blocking the path with their leashes after I rang my bell twice from 200 & 100 yards back, I don't love the smell of burning rubber in the morning.
    Last edited by Dewey; 08-28-2018 at 08:53 AM.