Likes Likes:  7,286
Dislikes Dislikes:  68
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 660 of 663 FirstFirst ... 160560610650658659660661662 ... LastLast
Results 6,591 to 6,600 of 6625

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno. I generally check, but I can't say I swivel around that much, maybe to about 8 o'clock position. And some riders come up super fast. E bike riders aren't noticeably worse as a percentage, but they are faster and they're starting to become more numerous on the CCT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    7. My main solution to this, for me personally, is simply to avoid the MVT at the most crowded times...
    So many of us do this that it's a wonder anyone uses it at the most crowded times.

The MVT really is substandard at this point, with the exception of the sections that have recently been redone.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 09-13-2018 at 11:21 AM.

3. Likes honestmachinery, Steve O liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    So many of us do this that it's a wonder anyone uses it at the most crowded times.

The MVT really is substandard at this point, with the exception of the the sections that have recently been redone.
    Between newbies/casuals afraid to ride near cars, and pathletes who ride faster than would be safe in a PBL (and who wants to stop at a red when you are training, I guess?) there are a lot of people for whom that is not a good option I think.

Post Thanks / Like

The MVT really is substandard at this point, with the exception of the the sections that have recently been redone.
    I can't remember the last time new pavement was applied, unless it related to other infrastructure projects. I guess I should just still be happy the trail was striped in 1990, and frames fit wider tires again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post
    I can't remember the last time new pavement was applied, unless it related to other infrastructure projects. I guess I should just still be happy the trail was striped in 1990, and frames fit wider tires again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    People were posting about the root heaves on the Custis near the bridge to nowhere, but those hardly rate compared to the root heaves on the MVT near Memorial Bridge. I actually almost went over the handlebars last weekend because of a combination of one set and forgetting I was on a fixie.

And how much narrower is the trail now compared to when it was first paved what with the encroachment of grass and debris? I am truly thankful I usually commute via the Custis, which does get attention from Arlington county, rather than the MVT. If a tree comes down along the trail in Arlington and you write in, they take care of it that day. Trollheim injures people regularly, yet nothing is done. It's too bad people generally can't successfully sue because of substandard infrastructure that causes injury. But I suppose a successful suit, instead of prompting remediation, would likely end up with a closing of the trail.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

And how much narrower is the trail now compared to when it was first paved what with the encroachment of grass and debris? I am truly thankful I usually commute via the Custis, which does get attention from Arlington county, rather than the MVT. If a tree comes down along the trail in Arlington and you write in, they take care of it that day. Trollheim injures people regularly, yet nothing is done. It's too bad people generally can't successfully sue because of substandard infrastructure that causes injury. But I suppose a successful suit, instead of prompting remediation, would likely end up with a closing of the trail.
    Please tell the people who can do something about it: your elected federal officials.

9. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Please tell the people who can do something about it: your elected federal officials.
    NPS has a maintenance backlog of more than ten billion dollars, and congress could not care less since it isn't a social wedge issue that will motivate primary voters. But sure, maybe a phone call about a trail in DC will change everything.

If someone's real motivated to work the phones, there's much higher chance of making progress by getting a local company to sponsor the trail. I hear they might even get naming rights.

11. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Yeah, what mstone said. I'll write the odd email every now and then, but I'm not really ever going to be a superadvocate. Just don't have the energy or disposition. That's why I give money to WABA, and appreciate the efforts of people like Judd who go to the MVT stakeholders meetings. (Meetings like that are better off without someone of my temperament.)

I should add that, on the plus side, I've been impressed with the efforts they've made to keep the trail open along the staging area for the Memorial Bridge refurbishment.

13. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The MVT really is substandard at this point, with the exception of the sections that have recently been redone.
    "Nobody goes there anymore. Itís too crowded." -- Yogi Berra

15. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what mstone said. I'll write the odd email every now and then, but I'm not really ever going to be a superadvocate. Just don't have the energy or disposition. That's why I give money to WABA, and appreciate the efforts of people like Judd who go to the MVT stakeholders meetings. (Meetings like that are better off without someone of my temperament.)

I should add that, on the plus side, I've been impressed with the efforts they've made to keep the trail open along the staging area for the Memorial Bridge refurbishment.
    Aww. Thanks, man.

The Mt. Vernon Trail suffers from a lack of resources like most National Parks. The entire George Washington Memorial Park has 30 maintenance staff to take care of the trail, a major highway, bridges, landscaping and multiple buildings. So when you see a tree thatís down next to the trail (there are currently three) or foliage overhanging the trail or boards needing repair on a bridge, think about how you would prioritize them if you were in charge of the entire park with 30 maintenance staff.

Every person Iíve met who works for the GWMP has demonstrated that they care deeply about NPS mission and they are doing the best they can do with the resources available.

Iíve been working to establish a Friends of the Mt. Vernon Trail group with several folks from the forum. We will be doing our first event in September fixing some of the vegetation issues on the trail. Details are forthcoming and I will post on the forum. NPS is open to a Friends group taking care a lot of the things on the trail that we wish were different. If youíre interested in helping make those changes with a lot of sweat and maybe some moolah let me know.