Likes Likes:  7,252
Dislikes Dislikes:  68
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 657 of 661 FirstFirst ... 157557607647655656657658659 ... LastLast
Results 6,561 to 6,570 of 6609

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

I run sometimes on the MVT and have found that bells, no matter the distance, startle me. Even though I know to expect them, I still feel uneasy about them. I prefer the "on your left" call instead. It might be that they are less audible, but while cycling, they don't startle me at all.

2. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Another reason to call your passes. This morning, I was making my usual turn from the NB MVT onto the 14th Street bridge. As I usually do, I stretched my left arm out to signal my turn. A fast quiet guy on a road bike chose that moment to pass me on the left without ringing or calling. As the Duke of Wellington said about Waterloo "It was a damned nice (IE close) thing" He passed inches from my hand.

Do I need to look back to check for passing bikes before signalling a left?
    at that particular intersection, I always check behind before signaling and then making the left turn.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you should have to, but looks like it's necessary, times being what they are. Bonus is that if there's no one there, then you don't even need to stick your arm out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had exactly the same thing happen, at the same place.

I don't think you should have to, either. As drivers, we signal a left turn and assume everyone behind us will stay in the lane and let us peel off. Cyclists who think they're entitled to pass without an audible signal, though, make it necessary to check behind before making a left. I'd rather do that than get in a wreck with some idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm worried that the dude driving the opposite direction from me on Georgetown Pike this morning at 6:20am was not able to properly hear my witty rejoinder to his "get off the road" admonition. So just in case you stumble upon this board searching for answers, what I replied was..."fuck you".

Boom. Roasted. Here is some Neosporin for that burn, etc..

#fightme

Post Thanks / Like

In Arlington, I call this week the Angriest Week of the Year. So I like to chill out by pretending. This morning I pretended I was a cowboy driving the orneriest bunch of steers this side of Wichita.

8. Likes PeteD, Judd, Steve O, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another reason to call your passes. This morning, I was making my usual turn from the NB MVT onto the 14th Street bridge. As I usually do, I stretched my left arm out to signal my turn. A fast quiet guy on a road bike chose that moment to pass me on the left without ringing or calling. As the Duke of Wellington said about Waterloo "It was a damned nice (IE close) thing" He passed inches from my hand.

Here's my take on it, and this may not be an appropriate position but whatever - eff that jerk. If this were a road, each side of the trail would be consider a single lane each direction. The jerk passed you at an intersection with no warning. I would not consider you liable for slowing, making a signal and proceeding when clear of oncoming traffic. It is the traffic behind you responsibility to not hit you when overtaking you. This is not a lane change where you are entering a lane occupied by a different vehicle. It is the responsibility of the vehicle behind to yield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    In Arlington, I call this week the Angriest Week of the Year. So I like to chill out by pretending. This morning I pretended I was a cowboy driving the orneriest bunch of steers this side of Wichita.
    Agreed... the past two days have been a menagerie of steers backing up or turning around, so at times I just unclip and watch in amusement.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it is necessary to use a bell when passing someone absorbed in listening to music. They MAY hear the bell; they WON'T hear my voice.

12. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default passing cyclists on the street

So I may have mentioned it above, but this happens to me regularly. Last night, biking to the Nats game - I'm stopped at a red light (this was on First St., SE), waiting for it to change, in a bike lane, and another cyclist comes whipping by me at 20 MPH or so, almost brushing my left elbow. This happens all the time!

If it were unusual, that'd be one thing. No bell, no "on your left" - but what I really want is either room when you're passing another cyclist or just SLOW DOWN and wait until there is room.
    When I'm taking off from a stop, sometimes I lean a little to the left or right.

And *this* is what I don't see when I see photos of folks biking in [name a city in Europe with great biking culture and infrastructure]. I don't see folks speeding by. I don't see folks acting like some I see here, weaving in and out of traffic at dangerous speeds, rushing past other cyclists.
    Maybe we all could just slow down>?!

And don't get me started on the trails. I actually think 15 mph should be enforced on MUPs and unsafe behavior (speeding up the middle, etc.) should be ticketed or something. If you want a speedway, go find one - or ride on roads.

14. Likes ursus, wheels&wings liked this post