Likes Likes:  7,389
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 671 of 672 FirstFirst ... 171571621661669670671672 LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,710 of 6712

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

you do realize that the electricity used by electricity powered cars is made by primarily by burning fossil fuels.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, what a beautiful morning....
    Crisp, clear air, wonderful sunrise,
    and a long line of bikes (well spaced, not a jam) on Custis from Spout Run up the hill to the bridge to nowhere. Mostly in florescent yellow/green jackets, but a few not (to lend some individuality) and most with red flashing lights. It felt like this was the cool way to commute (as opposed to a few weeks ago, bundled up, only seeing one or two others - the cold way to commute). Spacing widened so no back-ups at the lights in Rosslyn, which was also a bonus.

3. Likes chris_s, ChristoB50, CBGanimal, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elizsnyder View Post
    you do realize that the electricity used by electricity powered cars is made by primarily by burning fossil fuels.
    ... for now.

Post Thanks / Like

This morning on the exit ramp from GW Parkway to Key Bridge I witnessed an older "gentleman" blaring his horn at a woman runner in the crosswalk. If I were king, people who blew their horns at pedestrians in crosswalks would have their licenses taken away. In fact, any use of a horn around a pedestrian or cyclist, "justified" or not, might put you in contention.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    This morning on the exit ramp from GW Parkway to Key Bridge I witnessed an older "gentleman" blaring his horn at a woman runner in the crosswalk. If I were king, people who blew their horns at pedestrians in crosswalks would have their licenses taken away. In fact, any use of a horn around a pedestrian or cyclist, "justified" or not, might put you in contention.
    Alternatively, implement a $5 "honking tax" that is dedicated entirely to bike/ped/transit funding.

8. Likes huskerdont, Jenkinms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to another commuter at work who commented about the "light drizzle" he encountered this morning, as I was emptying the puddle of water out of my shoes in the garage...

I'm not sure how prepared everyone else was this morning, but I was NOT expecting the blinding torrential rain I encountered 5 minutes into my ride. The weather app only mentioned light rain, not 10-15 minutes of the sky turning into a waterfall. Luckily it was relatively short-lived.

By the time I got to a point where I could hide under a bridge, I was already drenched, so I waved to the 10 or so cyclists hiding out under the Route 1/GW Parkway/Metro underpasses on 4mrt, and kept on going. It was comforting to see them though, since it meant I wasn't the only person who totally missed the insane rain in the forecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I spoke to another commuter at work who commented about the "light drizzle" he encountered this morning, as I was emptying the puddle of water out of my shoes in the garage...

I'm not sure how prepared everyone else was this morning, but I was NOT expecting the blinding torrential rain I encountered 5 minutes into my ride. The weather app only mentioned light rain, not 10-15 minutes of the sky turning into a waterfall. Luckily it was relatively short-lived.

By the time I got to a point where I could hide under a bridge, I was already drenched, so I waved to the 10 or so cyclists hiding out under the Route 1/GW Parkway/Metro underpasses on 4mrt, and kept on going. It was comforting to see them though, since it meant I wasn't the only person who totally missed the insane rain in the forecast.
    Luckily I was nearly at work, but I was still nearly soaked by the time I got there 5 min later. I had checked three different weather applications (weather.gov, wunderground, dark skies) at 6:40 am, plus listened to WAMU announcers and NONE showed rain in the morning nor anything on the radar. Upon logging on in the office, I checked the radar with a loop and that storm popped up out of nowhere and was quite large, quite quickly.

11. Likes streetsmarts, Emm, LhasaCM, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Luckily I was nearly at work, but I was still nearly soaked by the time I got there 5 min later. I had checked three different weather applications (weather.gov, wunderground, dark skies) at 6:40 am, plus listened to WAMU announcers and NONE showed rain in the morning nor anything on the radar. Upon logging on in the office, I checked the radar with a loop and that storm popped up out of nowhere and was quite large, quite quickly.
    Thank you. I seriously thought I stupidly missed something at 6:45 when I woke up and checked weather.com and the CWG forcast, but based on your research it really was an unexpected storm!

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was also caught unexpectedly in the rain this morning. So was another colleague who commutes in from Maryland, so it wasn't just a Virginia problem.

I was at Commonwealth and Monroe when the rain started pitter-pattering, so I took shelter under Live Oak's covered patio to make sure my Ortlieb was rolled tightly and to get out the helmet cover I keep in my saddlebag for events like this. I would have taken shelter longer if I'd known how heavy the rain was about to get. By the time I passed the other bikers hiding out under the 4MR underpasses, I was already soaked, so I just kept going.

The rain had mostly stopped by the time I got to the 14th Street Bridge, but at that point the wind picked up so much that it actually blew my helmet cover off. Thankfully, the wind blew the helmet cover against the railing and kept it plastered there long enough for me to wait for another biker to go by, pull a u-turn, and retrieve it.

15. Likes buschwacker, Emm, kwarkentien liked this post
    Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Thank you. I seriously thought I stupidly missed something at 6:45 when I woke up and checked weather.com and the CWG forcast, but based on your research it really was an unexpected storm!
    No regrets about sleeping late this morning, evidently.

17. Likes kwarkentien, consularrider liked this post