Page 641 of 642 FirstFirst ... 141541591631639640641642 LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,410 of 6412

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    But unless the bike lane is VERY heavily used by people on bikes, I welcome them
    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    If you are otherwise acting like a (slightly wider) bicycle, the bike lane makes far more sense to me safety-wise for all.
    Concur. My skating days were over after I tripped and got 9 stitches in my chin, but that was back when the White House grounds were open to the public (and a popular meeting place for group skating) and DC had no bike lanes. Nowadays, I would totally utilize the bike trails and lanes.

Runners in the city don't have great options, either. I don't begrudge them using the bike infrastructure, as long as they're going the right direction and are mindfully cognizant of other people.

2. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I think the legality is a large grey area, depending on locality. I think Arlington (see section 14.2-24) doesn't allow their use on a highway or street, and bike lanes (as opposed to a separate path) are generally considered part of the street. I took a quick scan of DC and didn't see any mention outside of the usual "no skating in the library" or "no skating on the streetcar" types of rules, so have at it(?).

I think practically speaking: I'm with the mindset of "go where you'll be close to the same speed as those around you."
    Don't skate on the streetcar, Jeanne.

4. Likes streetsmarts, Emm, Steve O, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But unless the bike lane is VERY heavily used by people on bikes, I welcome them, as well as runners.
    Runners in the bike lane are dangerous regardless of useage. The lanes are too narrow for a safe pass, as I found out last month when I encountered one in the L Street bike lane. He moved suddenly as I passed and knocked me down. I suffered painful though not serious injuries and ruined clothing. As I started to call 911, he ran off. Sorry, they do not belong in bike lanes, ever.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

"I've heard it all a million times before.."

Don't Sleep in the Subway Darling. Petula Clark. For the forum.

7. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Runners in the bike lane are dangerous regardless of useage. The lanes are too narrow for a safe pass, as I found out last month when I encountered one in the L Street bike lane. He moved suddenly as I passed and knocked me down. I suffered painful though not serious injuries and ruined clothing. As I started to call 911, he ran off. Sorry, they do not belong in bike lanes, ever.
    A slow rider could have done the same thing. On a PBL that is too narrow to pass safely, the faster user has to just go slowly till there is a safe place to pass. That is more reasonable when there are fewer faster users, when the slower user is not as slow, and when there are more places where passing out of the PBL is easier. L Street is pretty heavily used I gather, and hardly any place where a pass is safe. Eads Street is not heavily used, and has multiple points where a faster user can pass. And its implementation and continued existence are a matter of some controversy, IIUC.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem with rollerbladers in the bike lanes and MUPs--most of the ones I've encountered were very aware of that leg swinging out wide and very careful to retract it or narrow their stride. But what about eRollerblades????

10. Likes PeteD liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A slow rider could have done the same thing. On a PBL that is too narrow to pass safely, the faster user has to just go slowly till there is a safe place to pass. That is more reasonable when there are fewer faster users, when the slower user is not as slow, and when there are more places where passing out of the PBL is easier. L Street is pretty heavily used I gather, and hardly any place where a pass is safe. Eads Street is not heavily used, and has multiple points where a faster user can pass. And its implementation and continued existence are a matter of some controversy, IIUC.
    Sure, and I'd wait for a safe chance to pass. But on average, riders will be at least twice as fast as runners, if not more. So such instances will be fewer. I also see it as an important principle. If we open PBLs to joggers, then you will see joggers on PBLs. Perhaps lots of them. Not all will be conscientious about how they use the path. We now have a bright line rule that exists to minimize danger and conflict, and I see no reason to undo that. I have personal experience that shows me the costs of allowing runners to use the designated bike infra.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    But what about eRollerblades????
    Are those like hoverdorks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Are those like hoverdorks?
    I had a mental image of Wile E. Coyote but no idea if it was a real thing. Turns out it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I need more seasonal hats. My commute has been many times better this week because I've been wearing a seasonally themed hat instead of my usual lid. I even think cars pay more attention. Not sure its better than when I put my seasonally themed accessories ~on~ my helmet, but it is easier.

15. Likes Emm liked this post