Page 640 of 642 FirstFirst ... 140540590630638639640641642 LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,400 of 6412

Thread: My Morning Commute

  1. #6391
    hozn's Avatar
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    3,377
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    There is a very clear no bikes sign at the TR Island entrance to the PHT. I cannot vouch for any of the other entrances. We got a little lost (yes, it's possible) at the Chain Bridge "end" (end of our hike, not the trail) and ended up climbing over a guardrail to exit.
    That's the American Heritage Trail (perhaps that is also part of the Potomac Heritage Trail system?); I'm well aware no bikes are allowed on that section. But bikes are certainly allowed on other parts of the PHT (https://www.nps.gov/pohe/planyourvis...ycling-pht.htm

  2. #6392
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My Morning Commute

    Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    That's the American Heritage Trail (perhaps that is also part of the Potomac Heritage Trail system?); I'm well aware no bikes are allowed on that section. But bikes are certainly allowed on other parts of the PHT (https://www.nps.gov/pohe/planyourvis...ycling-pht.htm
    https://www.nps.gov/pohe/planyourvisit/maps.htm

    It is part of PHT. Hereís the map of the Potomac Heritage ďTrailĒ, parts of which overlap with other trails like Mt. Vernon, C&O and even a W&OD spur. South of DC it has two spurs which are almost entirely on lower traffic roads. Itís possible to take a boat across at the southern ends but service is limited. Adventure Cycling sells a Potomac Heritage map that is a 377 mile loop.



    Thereís lots of trails like this. The September 11th Memorial Trail also uses the C&O and a few other trails on a route that connects Mew York, DC and the Flight 91 crash site.

  3. Likes hozn liked this post
  4. #6393
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    1,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Tip: If one zip tie is not long enough, just daisy chain multiple zip ties together until you get the desired length.
    In theory I could have. But that would have required making sure the lumps where they joined didn't come in a place where they would have been a nuisance. Getting longer ones was easier, especially since Ace gave me my money back on the first set.

  5. #6394
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was blanketed in fog this morning on my way into the Emerald City

    beam of light
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog - 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	15819

    moon visible through the fog
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog - 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	15820

    bridge over the Green River along the Green River Trail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog - 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	15821

    from a bridge over the Green River on the Green River Trail
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog - 4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	15822

    I love foggy rides; standing on a bridge over the Duwamish Waterway (remnants of the Duwamish River)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog - 5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	15823

  6. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
  7. #6395
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Roller blades in bike lane??

    So...roller blader in bike lane (R Street). Legal? Recommended? I think not.

    also... I'm gonna keep saying we need to obey traffic laws. Like stopping at stop signs. Sorry, but if we want respect from cars and peds, we need to be predictable and lawful, and that means stopping at stop signs just like they (usually) do.

    many of you were not part of this recent discussion I started on the Women & Bicycles group on FB, but many argued that stopping at stop signs really cramps their style , slows them down, is unsafe sometimes -- that's the very rare exception -- and (I can't help but laugh) equated it to a car putting the car in park, unbuckling the seat belt and getting out of the car!
    thoughts?

    other than that , a lovely ride in.

  8. Likes Tania, LhasaCM liked this post
  9. #6396
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    So...roller blader in bike lane (R Street). Legal? Recommended? I think not.

    also... I'm gonna keep saying we need to obey traffic laws. Like stopping at stop signs. Sorry, but if we want respect from cars and peds, we need to be predictable and lawful, and that means stopping at stop signs just like they (usually) do.

    many of you were not part of this recent discussion I started on the Women & Bicycles group on FB, but many argued that stopping at stop signs really cramps their style , slows them down, is unsafe sometimes -- that's the very rare exception -- and (I can't help but laugh) equated it to a car putting the car in park, unbuckling the seat belt and getting out of the car!
    thoughts?

    other than that , a lovely ride in.

    Roller bladers are probably not legal in bike lanes. But unless the bike lane is VERY heavily used by people on bikes, I welcome them, as well as runners. If it means one more vote in favor of HAVING the bike lanes, and in favor of enforcement against cars parking in them, and one more reason for a driver to be careful when turning across them or opening a door into them, that is worth having to occasionally swerve to pass them.

    I won't counsel ANYONE to break the law, but the big picture is that everyone breaks the law sometime when walking, riding, driving. In the case of any particular choice for myself, or how I evaluate others, I try to weigh the full pragmatic effects, not only the letter of the law.

    In terms of changes to the law, I support the Delaware stop (stop as yield for bikes, only when the cross street is only two lanes)

    And if you think you are obeying the current law by slowing to 6MPH at a stop sign, you aren't. In the past Alexandria police have told us they will enforce against cyclists who don't stop unless they at least slow to walking speed. So a lot of the people who think they never Idaho/Delaware actually do. Just like all the lawful drivers who violate the speed limit.

    You can do as you wish. In my own advocacy and shaming efforts I want to focus on actual unsafe behavior. That is largely behavior by motorists. For riders, its running a red light when there IS cross traffic, or pedestrians - failure to yield to pedestrians - riding improperly on the sidewalk(too fast, not yielding,or where it is illegal) - salmoning - riding without lights - excessive speed/closepasses/failuretocallpasses on the trails. It is NOT riding through a stop sign at 6 or 7 or 8MPH with excellent visibility, no cross traffic, no peds around. I will stop fully in places where I know Idahoing has entered the discourse against biking - for me that is Old Town Alexandria. If a full stop by me slows down auto traffic there (and it generally does) so be it, tough luck people. Riding through Fairlington, I see no good reason to and plenty of reasons not to.

    Note that among the reasons that Delawaring is good, is that it makes it more comfortable/efficient/fast to ride on quieter routes - there is evidence that stop sign enforcement leads to more riders taking faster higher traffic routes to avoid the stop signs, with negative results for safety.

  10. Likes huskerdont, Emm liked this post
  11. #6397
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    So...roller blader in bike lane (R Street). Legal? Recommended? I think not.
    You shouldn't roller blade in a bike lane Jeanne.

  12. Likes LhasaCM, streetsmarts, Emm liked this post
  13. #6398
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    You shouldn't roller blade in a bike lane Jeanne.
    As someone who roller blades and cycles (although not so much here in hilly Arlington), taking the bike lane or bike path when separate from the pedestrian path is preferable, although no idea on legality. I rollerblade steadily over 12mph, not unlike a lot of cyclists (including myself!), and stopping is tougher on roller blades than on a bicycle (except for that appropriately sized pebble that instantly stops your wheels and you become airborne. Was that 12mph to 0 in 2 ft or 8ft? Do I count the airborne portion?). Sidewalks and peds are no place for something traveling on wheels at 12mph or faster. If you are a beginner or non-confident blader, then maybe the sidewalk is appropriate since you would be all over the bike lane, like a drunken person, and thus unsafe to yourself and the other users. If you are otherwise acting like a (slightly wider) bicycle, the bike lane makes far more sense to me safety-wise for all. If on a bicycle planning to pass a blader, just give a heads up as you would anyone else, and we can reduce the width of the stride as you pass.

  14. Likes Sunyata, Steve O, LhasaCM, streetsmarts, Judd and 2 others liked this post
  15. #6399
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    2,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    As someone who roller blades and cycles (although not so much here in hilly Arlington), taking the bike lane or bike path when separate from the pedestrian path is preferable, although no idea on legality. I rollerblade steadily over 12mph, not unlike a lot of cyclists (including myself!), and stopping is tougher on roller blades than on a bicycle (except for that appropriately sized pebble that instantly stops your wheels and you become airborne. Was that 12mph to 0 in 2 ft or 8ft? Do I count the airborne portion?). Sidewalks and peds are no place for something traveling on wheels at 12mph or faster. If you are a beginner or non-confident blader, then maybe the sidewalk is appropriate since you would be all over the bike lane, like a drunken person, and thus unsafe to yourself and the other users. If you are otherwise acting like a (slightly wider) bicycle, the bike lane makes far more sense to me safety-wise for all. If on a bicycle planning to pass a blader, just give a heads up as you would anyone else, and we can reduce the width of the stride as you pass.
    This was my real non joke answer. Iím not ina d vice that allows easy lookup of the DC codes but I believe rollerblading is not unlawful in the bike lane in DC.

    The rollerbladers at Hains Point tend to go at bike speed and I havenít ever seen one behave unkindly or unpredictabily.

    As DrP points out the stride makes them wider and it also makes them alternate between wide and not wide. Call your pass, give them a moment to go into coast mode, pass and then tell them to have a nice day and everything should be ok.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. Likes Sunyata liked this post
  17. #6400
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    As someone who roller blades and cycles (although not so much here in hilly Arlington), taking the bike lane or bike path when separate from the pedestrian path is preferable, although no idea on legality.
    I think the legality is a large grey area, depending on locality. I think Arlington (see section 14.2-24) doesn't allow their use on a highway or street, and bike lanes (as opposed to a separate path) are generally considered part of the street. I took a quick scan of DC and didn't see any mention outside of the usual "no skating in the library" or "no skating on the streetcar" types of rules, so have at it(?).

    I think practically speaking: I'm with the mindset of "go where you'll be close to the same speed as those around you."

  18. Likes streetsmarts liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •