Page 637 of 642 FirstFirst ... 137537587627635636637638639 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,370 of 6412

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Friggin rush hour this morning. In the short straight stretch at Gravelly Point on either side of the road and in front of the porta potties, there were seven cyclists inbound and three outbound.

The AAA approved VDOT approach would be to add lanes.

2. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was COLD this morning, I know I am a wimp, but I was cold, I also discovered that nice mesh seat on my trike is nice in the summer but makes for a cold rear end in the colder temperatures. So today I will be on the search for a seat cover. Yes I had my hood on and my gloves and tights under my pants but ... I didn't have my face covered. Thought about it though. Freezing saddles here I come.....LIZ W.

4. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Friggin rush hour this morning. In the short straight stretch at Gravelly Point on either side of the road and in front of the porta potties, there were seven cyclists inbound and three outbound.

The AAA approved VDOT approach would be to add lanes.
    Your failure was in not going to HDCC and being on the MVT too early. I found post-HDCC MVT traffic to be extremely light today, relatively speaking.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejwillis62 View Post
    It was COLD this morning, I know I am a wimp, but I was cold, I also discovered that nice mesh seat on my trike is nice in the summer but makes for a cold rear end in the colder temperatures. So today I will be on the search for a seat cover. Yes I had my hood on and my gloves and tights under my pants but ... I didn't have my face covered. Thought about it though. Freezing saddles here I come.....LIZ W.
    Sounds like you already had a freezing saddle...

8. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"ON MY LEFT!"

10. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    "ON MY LEFT!"
    To be fair, if I'm passing second, I'll sometimes say "On your other left."

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    The AAA approved VDOT approach would be to add lanes...
    ...to I-95

Post Thanks / Like

Props to the kitted-up southbound rider at Gravelly Point this morning riding it in with half a handlebar.
    (Well, the whole handlebar was technically there, itís just that the left half was dangling a bit...)

14. Likes Steve O, PeteD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely gorgeous morning!

Even with the sun not blocking its light as I rode towards it.
    (I suppose that is because it wasn't expecting to pass by me until later in the day?)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to finally be able to post on this thread after a nearly 3 month long "hiatus" with things having been complicated since my big move, but I got to do a morning commute on my bike today!

My bike commute has changed over the years
    • Arlington (2009-2015): 0.7 miles, 10 feet elevation gain, about 7 minutes
    • Alexandria (2015-2017): 5.5 miles, 450 feet elevation gain, about 40 minutes
    • Tukwila (2017): 14 miles, 270 feet elevation gain to work (450 feet to home), about 1 hour 5 minutes

One of the reasons I will be bike commuting at least 3 days of the week is that the office I work at has a bike cage AND shower facilities, both of which are free. It takes me about 50 minutes to get to/from work if I take the light rail which is less than a mile from my apartment, so I imagine I will use either option depending on my mood (or just light rail if I am running late).

Another reason is the route: my route takes me from my apartment in Tukwila on a couple of minor streets to the Green River Trail, a little bit of low traffic on-street riding, Duwamish Trail, West Seattle Bridge Trail, Elliott Bay Trail, a few blocks of on-street riding, then a 2-way protected bike lane on Yesler Way, a left turn from it onto another 2-way protected bike lane on 2nd Ave (this is a major one ala 15th St NW cycletrack in DC) which takes me to a street with a bike lane on the left side allowing me to ride half a block to access an alley to get to the parking garage having the bike cage.

Having so much of the route on trails with almost no conflict zones on the street portions and a secure bike cage with shower facilities really makes tripling my bike commute distance a non-issue. Here are some pics of the setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ndAveCycletrack.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	15722
    2nd Ave cycletrack in Seattle which has planters for added protection

Name:	seattleMorningCommute - 4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	15723
    View from garage door (requires card key) to bike cage (requires card key)

Name:	seattleMorningCommute - 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	15724
    My Chinook bike happily secure on one of 4 rows of racks in the bike cage

Name:	seattleMorningCommute - 3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	15725
    View of garage bike path leading between the bike cage and the button-activated sliding metal door to the outside

Name:	seattleMorningCommute - 1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	15726
    View of Elliott Bay and Puget Sound from my new office on the top (34th) floor of our building

17. Likes Starduster, vern, dasgeh, Steve O, Subby and 4 others liked this post