Page 614 of 622 FirstFirst ... 114514564604612613614615616 ... LastLast
Results 6,131 to 6,140 of 6213

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Ride began pleasantly enough.

About the time I made my first left turn, I heard something snap as I pedaled, and then make a noise in time with my front wheel. Didn't appear to be a brake or shifter cable but since I was so close to home, I couldn't resist the temptation to just ride back home and catch the Metro.

The frame attachments securing my brake cable had been coming off one by one, the rear light (dyno hub-powered) no longer works, the brakes squeak intermittently, nd the tires are getting closer to bald, but not quite there yet. So I guess its time to bring the bike in to my neighborhood Spokes Etc. and have it looked at. I'll probably have them replace the tires w/ Specialized Crossroads. Would have gone for Schwalbe Marathons but the Crossroads appears to be in stock and I want to be back in the saddle for Bike to Work Week. The stock tires are 1.75 - the Crossroads is 1.9 - hoping it'll fit w/ the current fenders.
    Last edited by GovernorSilver; 05-10-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    I couldn't resist the temptation to just ride back home and catch the Metro.
    Not the word I would have chosen

3. Likes GovernorSilver liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    Ride began pleasantly enough.

About the time I made my first left turn, I heard something snap as I pedaled, and then make a noise in time with my front wheel. Didn't appear to be a brake or shifter cable but since I was so close to home, I couldn't resist the temptation to just ride back home and catch the Metro.

The frame attachments securing my brake cable had been coming off one by one, the rear light (dyno hub-powered) no longer works, the brakes squeak intermittently, nd the tires are getting closer to bald, but not quite there yet. So I guess its time to bring the bike in to my neighborhood Spokes Etc. and have it looked at. I'll probably have them replace the tires w/ Specialized Crossroads. Would have gone for Schwalbe Marathons but the Crossroads appears to be in stock and I want to be back in the saddle for Bike to Work Week. The stock tires are 1.75 - the Crossroads is 1.9 - hoping it'll fit w/ the current fenders.
    Spokes Etc. re-secured the brake cable, reconnected the tail light so it works again, and figured out the noise was caused by a pannier strap caught in the wheel (and untangled it); and advised to stick with the stock tires until autumn.

All this at no charge.

5. Likes scoot, Emm, chris_s, huskerdont, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rain shoes? Rain boots? Rain shoe covers? I commuted on my rubber sandals this morning. I hope I don't get athlete's foot.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a passenger in a car looking at all the people on bikes and wondering why we didn't ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    Rain shoes? Rain boots? Rain shoe covers? I commuted on my rubber sandals this morning. I hope I don't get athlete's foot.
    I may have to invest in some sandals for the rainy summer days, tho it seemed a bit chilly yesterday. Do you have a toe warmer at work?
    My biggest issue is that both my pairs of bike shoes get quite stinky for a few days after getting soaked like that. At least I can switch out shoes so I don't scare away everyone at work today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    My biggest issue is that both my pairs of bike shoes get quite stinky for a few days after getting soaked like that. At least I can switch out shoes so I don't scare away everyone at work today.
    I take the soles out of mine and lean either lean them up against a dehumidifier or, if it's winter, against a cooler part of the furnace. I find if I don't remove the soles, they don't get completely dry and will get a bit odoriferous.

But yeah, sandals are the solution for warmer weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    I may have to invest in some sandals for the rainy summer days, tho it seemed a bit chilly yesterday. Do you have a toe warmer at work?
    Easy solution: dryer sheets. I put them into my bike shoes (Keen sandals) after arriving at work. They help to dry out the sweat and deodorize my sandals. For wet shoes, stuff them with old newspapers and a few dryer sheets. My desk smells mountain fresh instead of like a gym locker because of this

11. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can wear sandals with shoe covers to get down to about 40 degrees. Because they all pull apart, the whole thing dries pretty well just left alone.

13. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    You can wear sandals with shoe covers to get down to about 40 degrees.
    Well, *you* can. Me fingers and toes are about all that gets cold on me; therefore, this is right out.