Page 617 of 622 FirstFirst ... 117517567607615616617618619 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,170 of 6213

Thread: My Morning Commute

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Older lady weaving in and out of the L Street bike lane this morning on a scooter. You suck.
    DC law, unfortunately, is somewhat permissive of scooters in bike lanes...not to say this person wasn't riding illegally by weaving, but it's *possible* that she was using the lane legally if her scooter fell within the "motorized bicycle" category of <50cc. DC really should follow VA's lead and explicitly ban scooters from bike lanes and create a separate classification for e-bikes that allows those to be ridden in bike lanes.

Post Thanks / Like

Stand and start cranking up VA ave. A small twiggy tree branch falls and lands in front of bike timed just right so I don't bother to go around it. Crunch the branch and as near as I can tell it paid me back by sticking a little stick in the chain/cog/RD. Chain skips on cog big time, I don't catch it in time and do a low to 0 speed flop splat.

3. Likes KLizotte, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awfully quiet on the trail. Thought there'd be more activity, because the rain had stopped early this a.m. with no more expected until late. Maybe everyone's already off for the weekend?

Coming down the M St bike lane. Upshifting to make the next green light when suddenly my front derailleur cable housing pulls away from the shifter and points straight up. I might have laughed, but I quickly realized I'll be having a somewhat slower commute home. At least now I'll be motivated to put all those shifter and brake cables to use that I've already bought and are waiting for me to install.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Awfully quiet on the trail.
    Maybe too quiet...

As far as noise I thought the same thing...it was earily quiet this morning, but the number of people I passed suggested it was rather busy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Today on my ride to work, I forded the mighty Potomac! I lost 2 oxen and 100 lbs of food, but I didn't drown at least.

Seriously though. The water was above my pedals at 3-4 spots along the MVT between Tulane Dr and the Airport. At one point there were some ducks SWIMMING across the trail. My shoes (and the rest of me) are beyond drenched, and I'm surprised my bike made it across some of the trail since the flooding was pretty extensive. I don't think I quite realized how much rain came down last night. I've seen the MVT flooded before, but this was the first time I've tried to ride in it. Not gonna lie though--once I realized there was minimal risk of drowning it was actually kinda fun to bike through the water.

Here's hoping my tiny usb powered desk fan can at least dry my shoes out a little today...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm drying my kit the same way but it may just get wet again on the way home according to the forecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Today on my ride to work, I forded the mighty Potomac! I lost 2 oxen and 100 lbs of food, but I didn't drown at least.

Seriously though. The water was above my pedals at 3-4 spots along the MVT between Tulane Dr and the Airport. At one point there were some ducks SWIMMING across the trail. My shoes (and the rest of me) are beyond drenched, and I'm surprised my bike made it across some of the trail since the flooding was pretty extensive. I don't think I quite realized how much rain came down last night. I've seen the MVT flooded before, but this was the first time I've tried to ride in it. Not gonna lie though--once I realized there was minimal risk of drowning it was actually kinda fun to bike through the water.

Here's hoping my tiny usb powered desk fan can at least dry my shoes out a little today...
    Haha! A few years ago I tried to cross underneath the train tracks at the corner of Lake Artemesia after a few hard rainy days. It was flooded, but I went for it. The water got deep quickly, and when my front wheel went completely under water, I was all "EFFFFFF THIS!"

I'm not sure of the condition of the water by you, but I'm guessing it's not very healthy to immerse in flood water.

This was the Northeast Branch Trail that same day 3 years ago:

Commute Home by ricky d, on Flickr

Flooded Trail by ricky d, on Flickr
    Last edited by drevil; 05-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

9. Likes Crickey7, LhasaCM, wheels&wings, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No oxen lost, but I am thinking of getting a tetanus shot, a bubonic plague scan and cholera test after splashing along 4MR under the Rt 1 overpass....and people fish in this???

11. Likes streetsmarts, Judd, Emm liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

(psst - sandals)

13. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    ELITE Crickey7 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Standing in the Orange Line Crush this morning after we pulled into Courthouse station I heard the ominous ker-chunk of doors failing to close followed by the inevitable off-loading. The platform was packed. I decided to bail and take Bikeshare, I'm only an occasional user now but keep my membership alive for this eventuality. I was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of bikes available at the Courthouse CaBi station at 8:15am - took Veitch to the Custis trail, through the improved Roosevelt Island GW trail section, and over the Roosevelt Bridge to my workplace in Foggy Bottom, downhill most of the way except for the bridge (why is there a headwind whichever direction I cross!). Thank you Capital Bikeshare.

15. Likes Sunyata, Steve O, bobco85, dasgeh, Judd and 1 others liked this post