Page 601 of 637 FirstFirst ... 101501551591599600601602603611 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,010 of 6364

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

A smooth, dry ride in on skinny tires today thanks to the NPS MVT clearing.

2. Likes dasgeh, secstate liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I initially felt silly for keeping my studs on, until I got to the RCP trail at the Lincoln, which had some extended icy spots. Rideable without studs, but I appreciated the extra stability. Things were going great up the CCT....and then I had to get on the towpath. For all intents and purposes, it's unrideable. I got by on a small sliver of untouched snow right on the edge of the embankment, but even walking on the main portion of the trail was a risky proposition. Frankly, it would've been okay had it not been ridden by 4 or 5 riders on Tuesday, who left ruts that froze solid...like, a skating rink is rideable if you stay upright, but throw some some criss-crossing ruts on it, and you can't ride a straight, steady line. Then the sidewalk across chainbridge was the snow and ice equivalent of root-y singletrack. Studs actually saved me there, but it would've been much more comfortable with a suspension fork. Commute ended up taking me about 25 minutes longer than normal...

**edit**: I think if there was any ride that was going to knock my chain off, Chain Bridge this morning would be it...no chain problems whatsoever though, so I'm feeling pretty good about my 1x11 setup. That said, the cassette on my spare wheelset is from when my bike was 2x11, so it's only a 11-28, vs the 11-36 that I have on my day-to-day wheelset...so climbing Chain Bridge hill this morning was a little more slow going than normal, although the 45NRTH Xerxes tires didn't really seem to slow me down much.

Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 03-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.

4. Likes secstate, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    A smooth, dry ride in on skinny tires today thanks to the NPS MVT clearing.
    Elaborate? Where have they plowed on the MVT? Between Alexandria and 14th St. Bridge? 14th St. Bridge to Key?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I initially felt silly for keeping my studs on, until I got to the RCP trail at the Lincoln, which had some extended icy spots. Rideable without studs, but I appreciated the extra stability. Things were going great up the CCT....and then I had to get on the towpath. For all intents and purposes, it's unrideable. I got by on a small sliver of untouched snow right on the edge of the embankment, but even walking on the main portion of the trail was a risky proposition. Frankly, it would've been okay had it not been ridden by 4 or 5 riders on Tuesday, who left ruts that froze solid...like, a skating rink is rideable if you stay upright, but throw some some criss-crossing ruts on it, and you can't ride a straight, steady line. Then the sidewalk across chainbridge was the snow and ice equivalent of root-y singletrack. Studs actually saved me there, but it would've been much more comfortable with a suspension fork. Commute ended up taking me about 25 minutes longer than normal...

To think I rode that route home (towpath to Chain Bridge) sleeveless and sweating just last week. Now look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always refused to ride in icy conditions, but this seems to be the year my gradually encroaching weather wimpiness has developed into full-blown Fair-Weather Riding Syndrome (tm).

8. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was passed on the MVT by a guy with his seat too low and his pedaling level of effort didn't match his speed. Spotted a bright red Copenhagen wheel around his rear axle. Anyone else ever see one of these?

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Was passed on the MVT by a guy with his seat too low and his pedaling level of effort didn't match his speed. Spotted a bright red Copenhagen wheel around his rear axle. Anyone else ever see one of these?
    I saw one pass by as I was getting on the trail in Falls Church. Then I never saw it again because it was over the horizon seemingly before I could even get going.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I've seen pictures and stories, but never seen one in real life. A friend asked about getting one, and was told he'd be better off with real e-assist. But that's a sample size of one--not sure if others feel differently.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Be like

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking just that!!^^

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk