Page 644 of 646 FirstFirst ... 144544594634642643644645646 LastLast
Results 6,431 to 6,440 of 6455

Thread: My Morning Commute

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I love ski goggles in this weather.

And I break put the bar mitts when it's below 20 too.

Legs were warm enough in Amfib tights. Even with the headwind.

Feet were ok in Specialized defroster boots w/ midweight wool socks, but glad I opted to skip the Bikenetic hills preride. My feet wouldn't last 2+ hours at these temps.

Studded tires were overkill but the Xerxes roll well enough (when inflated pretty high) to leave them on a few days.

Wool LS baselayer and Endura softshell worked fine, though I would have been comfortable (not sweaty) with an additional jersey on too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    First commute of year was lovely. Cold, but I guessed nearly correctly on layers (about a half layer too much on top), so not uncomfortable. Beautiful sunrise over the nearly frozen river (almost a perfect mirror image of the sun, but the ice wasn't perfectly smooth. Beautiful anyway).

28 on the counter for today and, shockingly, 67 for the year.
    Weren't all you freezing saddles folks supposed to be riding all over yesterday? Miss the Rosslyn counter in your travels or did everyone sleeze ride?
    I was 18 for the year on the Rosslyn counter yesterday, and I wondered why there were even 17 other masochists. I think I was 8 this morning.

Nice moon over the frozen Potomac and the Three Sisters. Suppose I could post it where it belongs, but:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_064543.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	15981

ETA that I don't even like wearing my ski mask while skiing, but I did compromise this morning and put on my turtle fur neck covering.

3. Likes bobco85, hozn, rcannon100, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I was 18 for the year on the Rosslyn counter yesterday, and I wondered why there were even 17 other masochists. I think I was 8 this morning.

Nice moon over the frozen Potomac and the Three Sisters. Suppose I could post it where it belongs, but:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_064543.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	15981

ETA that I don't even like wearing my ski mask while skiing, but I did compromise this morning and put on my turtle fur neck covering.
    The moon was absolutely incredible this morning.

5. Likes Steve O, hozn liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The moon was absolutely incredible this morning.
    YES!!! I saw it around 7 am. Huge and bright. It was amazing.

Today my balaclava froze to my face. That was a new experience. I was otherwise dressed well for the weather and found my ride to be enjoyable. But while pulling the balaclava up and down (a few times I just needed unrestricted airflow), it froze solid...and then continued to freeze along my cheeks when I pulled it back up. Luckily, not too uncomfortable since it occurred during the last mile or two of the ride.

The cold led to some other fun issues though: my light wouldn't un-attach from my bike due to the cold messing with the plastic mount. I broke one mount in the cold a few weeks ago when this occurred, so I ended up just unscrewing the whole mount/light combo and bringing that into the office. Fighting with the cable attachment for my u-lock also proved futile.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

Today my balaclava froze to my face.
    Turns out my hair got a little sweaty this morning (my AM commute ends with one huge hill and some rollers)...it then froze between the time I was parking my bike and entering my building.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved busting out the ski goggles this morning. Not certain I was any warmer because of it, but I found the huge benefit was the lack of fogged glasses when coming to stop lights. I think the bottom rim of the ski goggles seal the balaclava such that my breath doesn't go into the lenses. Zero fog, absolutely wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Loved busting out the ski goggles this morning. Not certain I was any warmer because of it, but I found the huge benefit was the lack of fogged glasses when coming to stop lights. I think the bottom rim of the ski goggles seal the balaclava such that my breath doesn't go into the lenses. Zero fog, absolutely wonderful!
    I managed to steam up my glasses inside the goggles this morning. Forgot to rub the no fog gunk on them which worked ok last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped on the way to work to donate blood platelets. They put two blankets and three hot packs on me during the donation. Pretty much made the whole donation worthwhile!

11. ELITE Brett L. ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Do you need clear goggles to bike at night? I have yellow ones at home I think, but I never use them since I start and end my day in the dark this time of year. I keep considering ordering clear goggles for days like today, but then not doing it. I was ok this AM, but I really didn't like the cold air that got to my eyes around my clear safety glasses. It definitely caused me to tear up a bit. Avoiding that feeling on really cold days might be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Do you need clear goggles to bike at night? I have yellow ones at home I think, but I never use them since I start and end my day in the dark this time of year. I keep considering ordering clear goggles for days like today, but then not doing it. I was ok this AM, but I really didn't like the cold air that got to my eyes around my clear safety glasses. It definitely caused me to tear up a bit. Avoiding that feeling on really cold days might be worth it.
    You ask a great question that I'll soon find out the answer for. I don't really know. My goggles only have the one lens (dark). I generally ride with yellow safety glasses at night (in warmer conditions) which I brought to work today as well. I might be using those tonight, which should at least have higher temperatures than this morning. A quick google search indicates some people love and some people hate riding at night with yellow lenses, so I'd give them a try and see if they work for you!
    Last edited by Brett L.; 01-02-2018 at 01:56 PM.