Page 643 of 648 FirstFirst ... 143543593633641642643644645 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,430 of 6479

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

I saw 14F on the 14th St Bridge.

2. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Wouldn't that attract the attention of your employer?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1bhzwz.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	15954

4. Likes rcannon100, Judd, streetsmarts, dbb, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Do you think anyone would mind if I built a fire by
    my desk?
    Box 11103 for a structure fire
    2100 Clarendon Boulevard
    Engine 110, 102, 103
    Tower 104
    Truck 105
    Rescue 104
    Medic 110, 104
    Battalion 112, 111
    EMS 112 respond

Report of a fire on the 4th floor. Bring marshmallows.

6. Likes rcannon100, streetsmarts liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    Buckle up everyone, its going to be a cold one
    This morning, I wore two pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, a t-shirt, a sweater, a neck warmer, a wool cap, ski gloves under my Bar Mitts, and an electrically heated jacket. I was quite warm enough (maybe a little too warm). But pedaling the bike took a lot of extra effort, having to overcome the resistance of all those clothes.

8. Likes FFX_Hinterlands, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    an electrically heated jacket
    There seems to be some confusion about the scope of E-Biking

10. Likes kwarkentien, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    There seems to be some confusion about the scope of E-Biking
    What, no 688 page thread debating whether electrically heated jackets are allowed in Freezing Saddles?

12. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As I was toodling down the Capital Crescent heading south towards Georgetown (just south of mile marker 9.5, a stretch with wooden railing just upstream from the curve not far from the sewer works/detour, enjoying my last 'morning' commute [term used loosely as it was already about 10:30 AM by this point] of the year and trying to evaluate layering options and my low temperature limits for the upcoming Freezing Saddles silliness that Bob encouraged me to sign up for), I came upon a US Park Police cruiser totally blocking the path with its emergency lights on. An officer was standing on the trail talking on his phone. I could see a second cruiser parked across the trail a few hundred yards down at the other end of the wooden fencing, but no other signs of activity or foul play. The light ice sheet on the river did not appear to be disturbed (so it did not look like anyone fell in), though I could not see the shoreline very well.

Officer: Stop! You must turn around. The trail is closed.

Me (surveying the otherwise calm winter morning scene, then pointing to the parallel canal towpath above us): “Is it OK if I go up on the towpath and ride in that way?”

Officer: “Hey, whatever, it’s your world!” He turns on his heel and walks away towards his cruiser, still on the phone.

Umm… how to interpret that response?
    ‘Gee, buddy, keep on riding in that direction. There’s an active shooter, but you can proceed at your own risk.’?
    ‘If you are stupid enough to be out riding a bike on a frigid morning like this, you deserve whatever may be coming to you.’?

My world indeed. On the plus side for me, I got to ride in through Georgetown on the towpath and saw the reason that the canal has been dry all year: locks 3 and 4 are being renovated, and a new canal boat will be built. Hopefully there was no foul play or such ...

Happy new year all!

Post Thanks / Like

First commute of year was lovely. Cold, but I guessed nearly correctly on layers (about a half layer too much on top), so not uncomfortable. Beautiful sunrise over the nearly frozen river (almost a perfect mirror image of the sun, but the ice wasn't perfectly smooth. Beautiful anyway).

28 on the counter for today and, shockingly, 67 for the year.
    Weren't all you freezing saddles folks supposed to be riding all over yesterday? Miss the Rosslyn counter in your travels or did everyone sleeze ride?

Judd is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

12 degrees when I left the house this morning. Definitely ski goggle weather for me. Upper body was layered perfectly a long sleeve base layer, midweight wool base and a jersey with a softshell jacket. Legs ended up being a little cold for the last mile with just softshell thermal tights. Hands were a bit sweaty with midweight gloves in bar mitts.

I saw three other people on bikes and gave them all the nod.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ski goggles for me too. I hate wearing them, but they make a big difference in cold weather comfort. I pretty much wear them only when it's below 20 or so. Both of my Garmins were effectively dead this morning due to sitting in my shed for the last week. Both had full batteries, but one wouldn't stay on and the other wouldn't get a GPS fix. Looks like it's now officially "keep the electronic bike gear in the house" season...