Likes Likes:  7,422
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 666 of 673 FirstFirst ... 166566616656664665666667668 ... LastLast
Results 6,651 to 6,660 of 6725

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I'd like to say that dislike was accidental, but I wouldn't want to lie.

But in all seriousness, were you attacked by various and sundry wild and domesticated animals during formative periods of your youth?
    I hate what the deer are doing to the rest of the ecosystem; they're insanely overpopulated. When I see suburban deer I'm mostly sad, because a deer that close to people is being forced there by hunger.

2. Likes Steve O, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say habitat, but that's a mere quibble since they're related.

I still enjoy seeing deer and the many foxes, raccoons, even the occasional coyotes, etc. that I see riding around, and I wouldn't want anyone else's enjoyment (e.g., the OP Chrisob5) to be lessened because of the reality of habitat loss from suburban sprawl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I hate what the deer are doing to the rest of the ecosystem; they're insanely overpopulated. When I see suburban deer I'm mostly sad, because a deer that close to people is being forced there by hunger.
    My understanding is that rather than being forced into the suburban landscape by hunger, deer have actually adapted extremely well to conditions there. Lots of greenery to nibble, most fences aren't high enough to stop them, and common predators are exceedingly rare.

5. Likes Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    ... most fences aren't high enough to stop them ...
    But not all. I was riding through the tonier section of the Wolf Trap area north of Route 7 the weekend before Halloween and saw a large flock of big black birds of death gathered alongside the road ahead. I thought it was a garbage party, but when I got close I saw they were dismantling the carcass of a buck that had impaled himself on one of the gilded fleur-de-lis topping the fence surrounding the local manse. Seasonally gruesome, I suppose.

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    My understanding is that rather than being forced into the suburban landscape by hunger, deer have actually adapted extremely well to conditions there. Lots of greenery to nibble, most fences aren't high enough to stop them, and common predators are exceedingly rare.
    Given its druthers, a deer would rather be out of plain view. If you can see the deer, it's stressed because a predator is watching it. Their natural behavior would be to run to deep cover, which is thin on the ground in the 'burbs. If they're on someone's yard eating lettuce in plain view while a dog is barking, it's because they can't find enough food in their natural habitat and will put up with anything to get something to eat. So yeah, they have found a lot to eat in human-dominated environments, but it's an extremely stressful and non-preferred source of food. The long term effects of stress on a deer population is increased rates of disease, fatigue, injury, etc.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Dislikes Hancockbs disliked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I still enjoy seeing deer and the many foxes, raccoons, even the occasional coyotes, etc. that I see riding around, and I wouldn't want anyone else's enjoyment (e.g., the OP Chrisob5) to be lessened because of the reality of habitat loss from suburban sprawl.
    Two people close to me have life-long, lingering effects of Lyme disease.
    In collisions with cars in the DMV, they cause millions of dollars in property damage and kill 1-2 people per year, injuring many more than that.
    They probably cause an equal or greater amount of damage to landscaping, gardens, fences, etc.

It's not the habitat I'm so concerned with; it's the disease/damage it brings to our families and friends. So, for me, I would trade some reduced visual enjoyment to get rid of them. As cute as they may be, they are pests that wreak havoc in our cities and suburbs.

Yes, I know, they were here first. But we are not doing them any favors or ourselves any favors by letting them remain. Unless we are willing to live with some cougars to keep their population in check, they need to be eradicated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Two people close to me have life-long, lingering effects of Lyme disease.
    In collisions with cars in the DMV, they cause millions of dollars in property damage and kill 1-2 people per year, injuring many more than that.
    They probably cause an equal or greater amount of damage to landscaping, gardens, fences, etc.

It's not the habitat I'm so concerned with; it's the disease/damage it brings to our families and friends. So, for me, I would trade some reduced visual enjoyment to get rid of them. As cute as they may be, they are pests that wreak havoc in our cities and suburbs.

Yes, I know, they were here first. But we are not doing them any favors or ourselves any favors by letting them remain. Unless we are willing to live with some cougars to keep their population in check, they need to be eradicated.
    I see we will have to agree to disagree.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I see we will have to agree to disagree.
    When I'm in the city I get a thrill seeing a little herd of rats skittering through the alleyways. Kind of fun to watch. And they're so darn cute.
    I presume you don't want my enjoyment lessened because of a few deleterious effects those rats may have.
    Last edited by Steve O; 02-12-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    When I'm in the city I get thrill to see a little herd of rats skittering through the alleyways. Kind of fun to watch. And they're so darn cute.
    I presume you don't want my enjoyment lessened because of a few deleterious effects those rats may have.
    You presume correctly. Your enjoyment is yours to enjoy how you wish.

Back OT to the morning commute, I hope everyone is enjoying the 32 degrees and rain. As CC said on Strava today, "everything science ever taught me is a lie."

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I can enjoy deer on a suburban trail just as I can enjoy a 65 degree day in January, though really the latter is far more scary and should make me more sad. To get back to the weather AND the climate.

A red rash like thing on one's feet is probably a reaction to cold wet, right? Not some weird allergy? And I really need some of those waterproof shoe covers if I am going to continue to be foolish enough to ride in stuff like this.