Likes Likes:  7,304
Dislikes Dislikes:  70
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 665 of 665 FirstFirst ... 165565615655663664665
Results 6,641 to 6,643 of 6643

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Could it have been a chunk of rock salt or asphalt that got kicked over the ledge by a passing car/bus/truck/etc.?
    It all happened pretty fast, but there's actually a small plaza area above at that point, making that improbable. I wish I could have stopped to go look at the thing, but, you know, death.
    Maybe I'll keep an eye out tomorrow to see if there is something, about that size, kicked over to the gutter.
    Last edited by Steve O; 12-11-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

And vary your route and timing. They're onto you now.

Not really kidding. I've had enough altercations over the years that I try to be a little unpredictable lest someone lies in wait for me, for instance that runner who tried to assault me a few years back, or the runner coming from the other direction who came into my lane and did a feigned elbow strike just this last summer. Lots of cray cray out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Maybe I'll keep an eye out tomorrow to see if there is something, about that size, kicked over to the gutter.
    So I did this. Unfortunately it was not quite the way I imagined: a sparkling clean gutter with a single object and an arrow pointing at it with the sign: "Here it is!" Turns out there are lots of leaves and other detritus alongside the road. Who knew?

However, one object did catch my attention: a half-empty plastic soda bottle that was not covered with weeks of dust, etc. My flash of fallible memory was that the object was somewhat smaller than that, but about that mass. If that was it, it might explain why it didn't harm me. If it hit on the side of the bottle, the plastic would have a lot of give. Also why it did not leave any stain, as a piece of asphalt likely would.
    The other side of the coin is, if so, then it was clearly a thrown object from someone who was intending to harm a cyclist.

4. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup, kwarkentien liked this post
    Dislikes LeprosyStudyGroup disliked this post