Likes Likes:  7,285
Dislikes Dislikes:  68
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 662 of 662 FirstFirst ... 162562612652660661662
Results 6,611 to 6,620 of 6620

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    This morning, a big truck suddenly cut across my path in the bike lane on G for a right turn onto 11th. No signal of course; I was at abuot his back bumper when the truck started moving into me. I've become so prepared for idiocy and a complete lack of concern for the safety of others that I had held back and was not crushed, so this post doesn't go into the crashes and incidents thread.
    G street is by far the worst part of my commute. I frequently just take the damn lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I put too much acid on my cheerios this morning, but did anyone else see an Orthodox priest jazzercising with a Roman cross in the Pennsylvania Avenue bike lanes at 9th Street?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    G street is by far the worst part of my commute. I frequently just take the damn lane.
    Often you have to since the bike lane is choc-ful-o'nuts.

Sometimes I prefer F Street, which doesn't have a bike lane. Especially prefer it in the afternoon. But then I end up in the left lane b/c cars are double-parked in the right lane, and motorists behind me get annoyed and start the honking and swerving and such. Give a motorist any opportunity whatsoever to ruin something, they'll do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    Maybe I put too much acid on my cheerios this morning, but did anyone else see an Orthodox priest jazzercising with a Roman cross in the Pennsylvania Avenue bike lanes at 9th Street?
    It's not just you. I saw him there last Friday, and I've occasionally seen him further east, around Penn and 4th. Does anyone know his story?

Post Thanks / Like

This morning while crossing E. Basin to get over to Maine Ave I had a good encounter with a DC Circulator driver. I signaled to turn right while biking up to the crosswalk. At this point the bus driver began slowing, and then got into the middle of both lanes and stopped at the crosswalk. The driver not only noticed my signal in advance of me getting to the crosswalk and reacted to it by stopping, he also was kind enough to know that seeing around him was difficult, so he blocked traffic until I crossed. This might be the best encounter with a bus I've ever had.

To be honest at that intersection I find DC Ciculator buses are sometimes the ONLY drivers who stop for me. They're not perfect, but at least 2/3rds of them are good which is significantly better than other drivers and area bus systems...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    This morning while crossing E. Basin to get over to Maine Ave I had a good encounter with a DC Circulator driver. I signaled to turn right while biking up to the crosswalk. At this point the bus driver began slowing, and then got into the middle of both lanes and stopped at the crosswalk. The driver not only noticed my signal in advance of me getting to the crosswalk and reacted to it by stopping, he also was kind enough to know that seeing around him was difficult, so he blocked traffic until I crossed. This might be the best encounter with a bus I've ever had.

To be honest at that intersection I find DC Ciculator buses are sometimes the ONLY drivers who stop for me. They're not perfect, but at least 2/3rds of them are good which is significantly better than other drivers and area bus systems...
    Yeah, I have noticed the same thing, they are pretty good at that! Meanwhile, WMATA ...

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Yeah, I have noticed the same thing, they are pretty good at that! Meanwhile, WMATA ...
    APS school bus left crossed me this morning at 4 Mile Run Dr and George Mason. At 8:40 am I was proceeding west straight through the intersection on green behind a line of cars and the bus driver just went ahead made her left turn after the last car cleared forcing me to grab my brakes and stop a couple feet short of the bus. WTF! Too bad I didn't get the bus number to report it.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    APS school bus left crossed me this morning at 4 Mile Run Dr and George Mason. At 8:40 am I was proceeding west straight through the intersection on green behind a line of cars and the bus driver just went ahead made her left turn after the last car cleared forcing me to grab my brakes and stop a couple feet short of the bus. WTF! Too bad I didn't get the bus number to report it.
    If you have the time and date, you can still report it. It's likely they can figure out which bus went through then (they have GPS and routing data, and cameras on the buses). At the very least, they will remind all drivers to be careful. transportation@apsva.us

Post Thanks / Like

Belated post ... my Wednesday morning commute was among the better ones in recent memory. The night before, I lost my wedding band in the grass just south of the intersection of doom. My chain had fallen off and after putting it back on, I used fallen leaves to wipe the grease off my hands. Three miles later I realized that in so doing, I had pulled the ring off my finger and dropped it in the grass. I turned around and after 45 minutes of searching with a headlight in the dark, I gave up. The next morning I rented a metal detector and found it within 15 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

Over the weekend I used my car. I drove along roads with all those election signs that have sprouted like weeds. (Note to those folks - the more signs I see from your candidate, the less likely I am to vote for the candidate since clearly the candidate likes polluting)

I enjoyed my commute along the trails where I did not have to look at all that "advertising." Even in the rain.

11. Likes PeteD, ursus, dasgeh liked this post