Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WMATA Welcomes Bikes on Metro Trains

Post Thanks / Like

Default WMATA Welcomes Bikes on Metro Trains

In case this is buried in the thread about the folding bikes on Metro, I figured I would post here as well.

Starting next week, Metro customers will be able to bring their bikes with them on the train – at any time – as Metro ends a longstanding restriction that prohibited bicycles during rush hours.

The policy change, which takes effect Monday, is expected to make Metrorail a more attractive travel option for reverse commuters (i.e. customers traveling outbound in the morning and inbound in the evening) who want to take their bike to travel between the rail station and their workplace.

Metro reviewed its policy and determined that it could respond to requests from the bicycling community by ending the rush-hour bike restriction without significant negative effects. The review took into account that the majority of rush-hour trains are 8 cars in length (the longest possible), and that new 7000-series trains provide more open space.

“We received requests from Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) and others in the bicycle community asking us to take a fresh look at our policy,” said Metro Chief Operating Officer Joe Leader. “We believe this change supports ridership growth by Metro a commuting option for those who want to have a bike with them.”
    Full news release can be found here.

Post Thanks / Like

This is huge! Wow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This made the home page of the Post. At the moment there are zero (0) comments. That's as beautiful as it's going to get.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...=.12a06022727c

It's also made ArlNow, with 50 comments so far, every single one of which I pledge to never look at.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 01-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

ARLNow is doing a poll about bikes on Metro. Totally unscientific with no real impact, but hey, if you'd like to see more "yes" votes than "no" votes: https://www.arlnow.com/2019/01/04/mo...-at-rush-hour/

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone taken their bike on the metro since this new rule went into effect? I'm trying to work up the nerve to do it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    Has anyone taken their bike on the metro since this new rule went into effect? I'm trying to work up the nerve to do it myself.
    No bikes allowed on the metro until Freezing Saddles is over .

7. Likes Emm, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buschwacker View Post
    Bikes can only go on during rush hour starting Monday Jan 7.

Or you can follow Josh's guidance and pretend it doesn't start until the end of FS

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow's(?) Express story on the disaster it has (not) been so far: https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...o-far-so-good/

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Tomorrow's(?) Express story on the disaster it has (not) been so far: https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...o-far-so-good/
    He misquoted my wife and made her sound like an asshole

Post Thanks / Like

Took my bike in today from Eisenhower to L'Enfant in an effort to allow the MVT to thaw. No major issues!