Page 611 of 617 FirstFirst ... 111511561601609610611612613 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,110 of 6163

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Did you notice the tent set up between the ramp up to the 14th St Bridge and the river on the VA side this morning? GW Memorial Parkway and Campground
    It was there last Sunday, so I'm guessing perhaps forgotten from a family outing? Doesn't appear to be inhabited and it looks kid-sized (insert quote from Zoolander).

2. Likes chris_s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Did you notice the tent set up between the ramp up to the 14th St Bridge and the river on the VA side this morning? GW Memorial Parkway and Campground
    When I went by after HDCC, there was an adult male human near the tent. It looked like he may have been packing up a backpack or something (I was paying more attention to trail traffic).

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Passed the aftermath of a possible dooring incident on Water St. in G-Town this morning. The rider generally looked okay and several people were on scene assisting, so I didn't stop. Also passed the aftermath of a much more serious incident last night at the intersection of Ohio and East Basin drive...looked like maybe a cyclist turning left to go under 395 and enter EPP was struck by a car exiting EPP. Medical units were on scene and it looked like the cyclist was on a stretcher. Be careful out there folks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Passed the aftermath of a possible dooring incident on Water St. in G-Town this morning. The rider generally looked okay and several people were on scene assisting, so I didn't stop. Also passed the aftermath of a much more serious incident last night at the intersection of Ohio and East Basin drive...looked like maybe a cyclist turning left to go under 395 and enter EPP was struck by a car exiting EPP. Medical units were on scene and it looked like the cyclist was on a stretcher. Be careful out there folks!
    Saw this too last night but didn't stop to try to mentally process what may have occurred. Cyclist was on the ground at the time and there was a taxi cab stopped near by. Cab was pointed towards Hains Point so my best total guess would be a collision involving the cyclist trying to go left on to E. Basin and the car trying to turn left from E. Basin where there's multiple splits and two lanes crossing with difficult sight lines.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8817...7i13312!8i6656

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Saw this too last night but didn't stop to try to mentally process what may have occurred. Cyclist was on the ground at the time and there was a taxi cab stopped near by. Cab was pointed towards Hains Point so my best total guess would be a collision involving the cyclist trying to go left on to E. Basin and the car trying to turn left from E. Basin where there's multiple splits and two lanes crossing with difficult sight lines.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8817...7i13312!8i6656
    Okay yeah, that makes sense. Basically the scenario I envisioned, but with the actors' direction of travel switched (right?). I've had/witnessed some close calls there myself. It looked like two firetrucks showed up (one was on scene, the other I passed as it was departing the area), which seemed weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike to Work, Live Longer

Bike to work and live longer http://time.com/4748377/commute-biki...ing-longevity/ if you don't get hit by a cab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Bike to work and live longer http://time.com/4748377/commute-biki...ing-longevity/ if you don't get hit by a cab.
    Well, "all cause" mortality was lower for those who biked, so presumably those cab deaths were more than balanced out by the reduced risk of death from other causes.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 04-21-2017 at 10:46 PM.

9. Likes Choiboy525, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Witnessed what was probably the best case of a two-car accident imaginable this morning. Riding up Chain Bridge, opposing traffic going downhill was backed up, as usual. But then I hear squealing tires and a crunch and thought a terrible accident had happened. Turns out it was minor rear-ending and no one was hurt, but the car that did the rear ending managed to swerve to the right just before making contact, and the glancing blow sent his car into the thickly vegetated (?) ditch on the side of the road. As I said, the drivers of both cars were fine, and the hit car had some minor damage, but the rear-ender was not getting out of the ditch on his own and that gave me a nice shot of schadenfreude for the rest of my ride.

11. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was wondering a couple of days ago if cars ever fall off into the trail just after Trollheim ends, going southbound. It is a curve and the trail is below the highway. Judging by the mud marks on the trail and the car being towed away at GW parkway, that might have happen this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    Was wondering a couple of days ago if cars ever fall off into the trail just after Trollheim ends, going southbound. It is a curve and the trail is below the highway. Judging by the mud marks on the trail and the car being towed away at GW parkway, that might have happen this morning.
    You mean this guy?

I got there maybe 5-10 minutes after it happened. Seemed like he either hit another car, or was hit, and caromed down the hill. Similar thing happened a couple years ago and took out a nice chunk of the trollheim.