Page 609 of 629 FirstFirst ... 109509559599607608609610611619 ... LastLast
Results 6,081 to 6,090 of 6282

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

I was getting drenched on my roof while cleaning out the clogged gutters - mid-storm with lightning overhead - picturing some of you brave souls biking through those kind of conditions to get to work. Hat tip to all of you dedicated commuters!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually enjoy riding in the rain in warm weather, especially as relief from the summer heat. Flooded streets and oil slicks do suck, but not as much as the Metro service in my area.

My Metro line is Yellow Line, which is under SafeTrack. Let's just say SafeTrack and Metro's quality of service in general, combined with proximity of workplace, has been a powerful incentive to bike to work as often as possible.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    My morning commute was so wet, when I got to the office, I had to turn my bike into a drying rack for all the wet clothes. And that was in addition to hanging up my pants and jacket on the coat hooks, and turning my shoes upside down on the floor.

At first, I thought that shadow was a puddle, and that this story wasn't going to end well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    A flat in the rear feels sort of like your rear tire is in mud, robbed of a little power and tracking a little squirrely.
    As noted in the Evening Commute thread, this proved to be spot on. I had to put more and more effort into each pedal stroke as I rode home. I dismounted within a half-mile of the house and walked the bike home. I was fine when I got home but a few hours later, this nasty soreness kicked in,mostly in the inner quads. I already had a calf muscle bruise from falling from the parallel bars at Crystal City Fitness Cluster park and smacking the calf against a bar, so the calf flared up as well.

This is my 2nd day off from bike commuting to try to rest up the body. There's still lingering soreness in the calf and ankle that goes away when I stand up and walk a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red light running scofflaws!

Metrobus couldn't wait for the next cycle of the light at Veitch and Wilson.

6. Likes Steve O, bobco85, bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annoyedindc View Post
    Metrobus couldn't wait for the next cycle of the light at Veitch and Wilson.

You should let WMATA know about this: http://wmata.custhelp.com/app/home/

One of the categories is "Unsafe Operation"

8. Likes dasgeh, annoyedindc liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some sweater racks and a fan and you should be good to go by the afternoon. The racks are collapsible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contemporary-dryer-racks.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	14583

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got in a Cat 6 race with a fox this morning. My neighborhood fox has slowly become accustomed to seeing me in the mornings and afternoon, and although he's staying back a safe distance, he's also not running away in fear the moment he spots me. Today he saw me, and decided to run alongside my bike through neighbors yards for 2-3 houses. I apparently didn't have the course properly mapped out, so I missed a required turn through my neighbors backyard, which resulting in the fox claiming victory.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Top 5 Bike Counters

On my morning commute today, seeing many other cyclists on my way, I was thinking about the numbers of people that were also biking today. I decided to look up the bike counter data to find the top 5 bike counters for the past year (April 10, 2016 - April 10, 2017). FYI, you can find more information here: http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/b...ter-dashboard/

Here's the Top 5 from what I could find (bicycles only, no peds) for the past year:
    1. Mount Vernon Trail (Airport South) - 643,735 cyclists
    2. 14th Street Bridge - 591,360 cyclists
    3. 15th Street NW cycletrack (near N St NW) - 534,837 cyclists
    4. Capital Crescent Trail #2 (tunnel) - 485,595 cyclists
    5. W&OD Trail (just West of W&OD/Custis intersection) - 448,707 cyclists

Food for thought, but there are a lot us out there.

13. Likes dasgeh, Judd, streetsmarts liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    On my morning commute today, seeing many other cyclists on my way, I was thinking about the numbers of people that were also biking today. I decided to look up the bike counter data to find the top 5 bike counters for the past year (April 10, 2016 - April 10, 2017). FYI, you can find more information here: http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/b...ter-dashboard/

Here's the Top 5 from what I could find (bicycles only, no peds) for the past year:
    1. Mount Vernon Trail (Airport South) - 643,735 cyclists
    2. 14th Street Bridge - 591,360 cyclists
    3. 15th Street NW cycletrack (near N St NW) - 534,837 cyclists
    4. Capital Crescent Trail #2 (tunnel) - 485,595 cyclists
    5. W&OD Trail (just West of W&OD/Custis intersection) - 448,707 cyclists

Food for thought, but there are a lot us out there.
    Felt like all 485,595 riders were on the CCT today...

15. Likes Judd, bobco85 liked this post
  16. 04-11-2017, 06:59 PM