Page 608 of 629 FirstFirst ... 108508558598606607608609610618 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 6282

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    ...assuming the pump here at work fits Presta valves.
    A top secret squirrel secret that I learned when I was just a peanut: if you have a Presta tube, a schraeder pump and the inability to swap orientations of the pump, take off the cap, snip the tip, and put the cap back on backwards. The Schraeder pump should be able to pump the tube. This person made a nice pictorial:
    https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bic...hrader-adapter

2. Likes KLizotte, bobco85 liked this post
    ELITE Birru ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    I've been riding this bike (Jamis Renegade) intermittently for about a year. Rode it on the C&O last fall, then barely rode it until this past March. Jamis calls it an adventure road bike - a bit heavier than a road racer but lighter than a touring bike.
    You are clearly a very smart and attractive person. I've got a '17 Renegade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I'm not evil...
    Of course you are. It's right there in your name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I can't imagine riding for several miles and then looking at my bike and saying "hey, when did I get a flat tire?" Even if your tire is low (assuming it's not already leaking), the only real concern is susceptibility to pinch flats if you go over a curb or something. Tire pressure has a pretty minimal effect on rolling resistance.
    Actually, I do not need to imagine - I have experienced it everytime my tires have been flat except one. Most times I get to the bike and it is flat - but when did that happen. Three times in the past year I have been riding and noticed one wheel or the other wasn't acting correctly and looked at it. First time I asked the person I was biking with if a problem could be spotted - "Yes, your rear tire is pretty flat" - we had been on the C&O Canal and were nearly home at this point. I have no memory of riding over glass or anything else these times. They were slow leaks.

The only time that I can almost remember what happened was when a pedestrian coming towards me forced me to change lanes and go into a puddle that apparently had glass in it (and I say forced because her side of the trail had a puddle and she decided that she couldn't stop a second while I passed and then change lanes to the dry side (which was mine) and told me that I had to go in the puddle so her feet wouldn't get wet.). I heard hissing and saw bubbles, but it didn't dawn on me it was an issue. Shortly after that I keep hearing a clicking sound. A mile or two later I stopped to check it out and eventually noticed the very large chunk of glass in the tire.

I have never experienced a sudden flat.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    A top secret squirrel secret that I learned when I was just a peanut: if you have a Presta tube, a schraeder pump and the inability to swap orientations of the pump, take off the cap, snip the tip, and put the cap back on backwards. The Schraeder pump should be able to pump the tube. This person made a nice pictorial:
    https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bic...hrader-adapter
    This solution requires having scissors or perhaps a sharp knife on hand to cut the cap so in reality you may still be up a creek in some circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    You are clearly a very smart and attractive person. I've got a '17 Renegade.
    A very smart and attractive person sold it to me. That I can say at least.

Post Thanks / Like

When my tire is flat, I know it because it starts going thump, thump, thump as I ride. No one else's does that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    When my tire is flat, I know it because it starts going thump, thump, thump as I ride. No one else's does that?
    Yes, mine did. Started out as a slight bumpy feeling, and progressively got worse, to the point where I felt I was riding on a square wheel.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Tire pressure has a pretty minimal effect on rolling resistance.
    That's only true up to a point, and on tires with sidewalls flexible enough that you don't spend a ton of energy bending them.

Post Thanks / Like

My morning commute was so wet, when I got to the office, I had to turn my bike into a drying rack for all the wet clothes. And that was in addition to hanging up my pants and jacket on the coat hooks, and turning my shoes upside down on the floor.

Last edited by cvcalhoun; 04-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.