Page 606 of 616 FirstFirst ... 106506556596604605606607608 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 6158

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I biked in and it was raining so hard I'm pretty sure my face is bruised. But my new rain jacket worked REALLY well. It kept me dry and the jacket itself was dry by the time I was done showering and changing. 7Mesh was started by some ex-Arcteryx guys and this jacket completely out-performed any of my Gore jackets. No comparison really.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/7...-jacket-womens

I only wish my new velocity backpack arrived in time (my canvas Camelbak bag is hanging up, drip drying...).
    Amazon has a bunch of inexpensive backpack rain covers. I bought one for $5 three years ago and it works great, though obviously some moisture drains between my back and the back of the backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=92YS28YMCLP1

2. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Speaking of rain, does anyone have any good recommendations for waterproof gear that won't break the bank? I've got stuff that's wonderful in bitter freezing weather, but my gloves and shoe covers just soak through in cold, heavy rain and then I'm miserable with numb extremities.
    I sweat pretty heavily; the raingear has not yet been created that is breathable enough to keep me from getting just as soaked by the personal sauna effect - which I find gross as well as uncomfortable. I just wear stuff that insulates well and accept getting wet - maybe bring a spare set of socks for the ride home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I sweat pretty heavily; the raingear has not yet been created that is breathable enough to keep me from getting just as soaked by the personal sauna effect - which I find gross as well as uncomfortable. I just wear stuff that insulates well and accept getting wet - maybe bring a spare set of socks for the ride home.
    Ahem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    For weather this warm, I just use fingerless gloves so don't care if they get wet. I don't have a solution for 34-degree rain.
    I bought the very expensive Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier WxB Gloves at REI, and they are definitely waterproof. They also keep my hands warm down through the 40s; when it gets that colder than that, I just use Bar Mitts, and those keep my hands warm and dry. My only problem with the gloves is that they are not elastic at all, and they tend to cramp my thumbs when my hands are in certain positions on the bars (mainly the hoods!). If I ride for a long time like that, my thumbs will ache afterward, so I usually stay on the tops or in the drops a little more when wearing them. For a morning like this morning, they are very nice to have!
    Last edited by dkel; 03-31-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: To the broader topic, REI Novara brand rain gear is quite good, and comes at different price points (not all of which break the bank).

Post Thanks / Like

I have novara rain pants and I'd call them fine for either up to an hour of lighter rain or up to a half hour (barely) of heavy rain. This am they were just at the bleed through point with the heavy, steady rain and 33 min of riding.

Still on the hunt for waterproof pants that last at least an hour in heavy rain.

My arcteryx goretex ski pants (just a hard shell) did great a few weeks ago skiing for hours in the rain. They lasted a good four or five hours before the rain soaked through. Don't think I could swing a leg over my seat though to ride with them.

(I'm also a bit of a gear snob so add requisite grain of salt.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Speaking of rain, does anyone have any good recommendations for waterproof gear that won't break the bank? I've got stuff that's wonderful in bitter freezing weather, but my gloves and shoe covers just soak through in cold, heavy rain and then I'm miserable with numb extremities.

Moose mitts (or, probably, bar mitts) and waterproof boots keep my hands and feet in good shape. As for the rest of me,

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I sweat pretty heavily; the raingear has not yet been created that is breathable enough to keep me from getting just as soaked by the personal sauna effect -
    While this applies to me also, in cold weather I do stay warm for a lot longer drenched in 98F sweat than in 40F rain, so I still find rain gear to be useful, in the "keeps cold raindrops from penetrating directly to my skin" sense.

8. Likes vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I biked in and it was raining so hard I'm pretty sure my face is bruised. But my new rain jacket worked REALLY well. It kept me dry and the jacket itself was dry by the time I was done showering and changing. 7Mesh was started by some ex-Arcteryx guys and this jacket completely out-performed any of my Gore jackets. No comparison really.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/7...-jacket-womens

I only wish my new velocity backpack arrived in time (my canvas Camelbak bag is hanging up, drip drying...).
    I'm using my Proviz jacket. It did fine during the rain this morning. And it is so visible at night, it looks like I've got lights inside it.

For carrying stuff, I use my Ortlieb panniers. They are extremely waterproof, and the outside dries quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have novara rain pants and I'd call them fine for either up to an hour of lighter rain or up to a half hour (barely) of heavy rain. This am they were just at the bleed through point with the heavy, steady rain and 33 min of riding.
    When mine get to that point, I give them the Nikwax waterproofing treatment, and they pretty much come back to full waterproof. Of course, they're never going to be as good as they were the first time I wore them, as they get pretty abused in the course of commuting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Ahem.

Would love to see one of these on the 14th St. bridge when the wind is roaring down the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Would love to see one of these on the 14th St. bridge when the wind is roaring down the river.
    More likely to see it floating above the bridge in those conditions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

13. Likes bobco85 liked this post