Likes Likes:  7,368
Dislikes Dislikes:  72
ELITE ELITE:  584
Page 670 of 671 FirstFirst ... 170570620660668669670671 LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,700 of 6705

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Ride started out great, cold, but great. All downhill from there - and not just literally.

Saw the tracks of a car that came down the hill along the MVT just before Trollheim (see comments elsewhere on that).

As I passed under the memorial bridge on MVT, noticed a truck was stopped on the road (the one further from the trail). A school bus behind it and several cars on the muddy grass just uphill from the roadway. And all other cars just stopped behind it. No idea if the truck had been involved n an accident or it just realized that it couldn't go under the bridge (I did not notice its height).

As I went over Rt 110 on Connector Road (bridge from Boundary Channel Drive to the Pentagon main hub), where I take just right of middle of the lane because the area is all ruts and tire popping debris, my frequent harasser called out and told me the law said I needed to be all the way at the right (usually he just yells to get off the road and/or curses at me). I told him it was unsafe over there but he insisted I needed to be there, but then got behind me as we approached the policeman at the bottom of the hill. Black jeep-like vehicle, Michigan plates.

As I stopped at the traffic light at Fern and Army-Navy Drive, in the middle of the lane to go through the intersection (I was first in line), a car behind me started honking and telling me to get to the left so he could make a right on red. I yelled back that I was where I was supposed to be and his impatience was not my problem. I was not in the mood to be nice. Right side, left side, where do these drivers want me. Oh that's right, NO WHERE. Grrrr.

This was a not so enjoyable commute. I keep thinking I need to tell the officers at the Pentagon intersection about the harasser, but I then expect him to try to run me off the road at a later time - he has that vibe about him.

I need to think pleasant thoughts or I will start biting my coworkers heads off.

2. Likes huskerdont, LhasaCM, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you ever vary your route (or can you vary it)? Sometimes when I get a crazy harasser or have an incident, I just find it easier to go elsewhere for a bit so that person does not have the opportunity to plan and carry out some sort of crazy.

4. Likes DrP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Do you ever vary your route (or can you vary it)? Sometimes when I get a crazy harasser or have an incident, I just find it easier to go elsewhere for a bit so that person does not have the opportunity to plan and carry out some sort of crazy.
    Thank you for the idea.
    I do not see him everyday, so it is a bit random, but it has been repeated once or twice a month over the past several months. With the weather, I have varied my route just to avoid the MVT and the ice, snow, and slick Trollheim on several occasions. It may also be my timing (if I can just get out of the house a little sooner…).

Post Thanks / Like

Do you wear a GoPro? I find it helps with harassers if I point to it and shout that they are being filmed.

7. Likes dasgeh, Steve O, buschwacker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Do you wear a GoPro? I find it helps with harassers if I point to it and shout that they are being filmed.
    That move might backfire on the Pentagon reservation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    That is my fear. I have been trained over the years to not use cameras anywhere around work (whether at a gov't site or a corporation (IP issues on top of others)) that I just do not try it (my personal cell is a flip phone, no camera for that reason).

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Or just give the video to Pentagon police. If he's a regular there it's possible he works there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Probably depends if you're on a private pentagon road, or a public road. If you're on a public road you can film, AND it's legal to film or photograph the outside of government buildings*. There's been a number of cases on this, and every time the person filming has been in the right ultimately.

*some exceptions likely apply, but I have a hard time believing the outside of the Pentagon is one of them with how often it's photographed and filmed. I run my fly12 all the time when biking through the pentagon on public roads though, and see tourists take pictures too.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be right. Back when VA-27 trail access required riding through the 9/11 Memorial I would frequently see tourists with cameras there, and I never saw police attempt to stop that.

But since the signs that prohibit photography don't indicate any distinction and are themselves located on various public roads, I'd be more inclined to approach the police with just an oral statement about my history of interactions with this driver, rather than to volunteer video upfront.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Probably depends if you're on a private pentagon road, or a public road. If you're on a public road you can film, AND it's legal to film or photograph the outside of government buildings*. There's been a number of cases on this, and every time the person filming has been in the right ultimately.

*some exceptions likely apply, but I have a hard time believing the outside of the Pentagon is one of them with how often it's photographed and filmed. I run my fly12 all the time when biking through the pentagon on public roads though, and see tourists take pictures too.
    CFR Title 41, Section 102-74.420 covers federal policy regarding photography.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk