Page 48 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: My Morning Commute

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    For whatever reason I decided to take the long way in from McLean this morning - trails, trails, trails, drop off south of airport, ride across 14 street bridge. I messed up my sock setup, so my feet were blocks of ice, but it didn't matter. The view of DC just before sunrise was enough to bring me to tears. Oh wait - my ski goggles had iced over and I had to take them off, so that might have been my eyelashes freezing. Still, it was breathtaking and I got one of those runner's high boosts right as I was passing the airport. I have never before commuted in to work that way and I might be hooked now. Man what an unbelievable view. Thank god for bike commuting.
    Between you and DismalScientist, you're overcrowding my extended commute route. What you need to do now is the climb up the Glencarlyn ridge to Jefferson St and then back down from Henderson and stay on the Four Mile Run Trail stopping at Best Buns in Shirlington for a quick warmup.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else notice that their bike breaks down a lot more during these colder commutes...?? Argh! In one ride I had a rotor start rubbing for no apparent reason (thought I was either suddenly MASSIVELY out of shape or facing a headwind that I couldn't hear... no I was facing a rubbing brake which was sapping 50 watts of effort with no forward benefit)... then, I snapped a break cable AND finally, my chain broke... I gave up at that point since I had gotten within a mile of home and called for a ride.

After standing in the 22 degree weather for 45 minutes, I was shaking pretty good...

I've determined two things:
    1. I will be replacing chain and all cables/housing this weekend
    2. I will be buying a pair of goretex cycling boots along with a pair of Pearl Izumi Amfib bib-tights. All the layers I had on DRASTICALLY reduced my mobility, making it even harder to pedal than the stupid rubbing disc brakes were making it.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclingeconomist View Post

After standing in the 22 degree weather for 45 minutes, I was shaking pretty good...
    One thing I do when it gets below freezing is carry my battery-heated vest in my pannier, precisely for this scenario. Since most people don't have a gimmicky vest, the next best thing probably is to carry some type of light, wind proof layer you can pull out on if you have to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding that in this weather the cable portion of my lock (I use a U-lock with a cable) becomes a lot stiffer and harder to curl back into place when I store it.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There was about an inch of snow on the trails this morning and I could see evidence of about 20 other riders who had been there before me. I counted about the same number of people on bikes as I did on Monday and Tuesday, a signficant number fewer than I generally see with the morning ride temperature is in the 40s. The heaviest trail use looked to have been between 4MRT and the 14th St Bridge access trail.

Still, this snow was great to ride in, now heavy wet and slushy and I only saw what looked like one fall (disturbed snow, not the actual event).

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled this out of my tire when I got to work. No diamond in it, unfortunately.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-28 08.12.37.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	2344

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Pulled this out of my tire when I got to work. No diamond in it, unfortunately.

Name:	2013-01-28 08.12.37.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	2344
    What is that? An earring? It makes me think of a jester's hat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    What is that? An earring? It makes me think of a jester's hat.
    A really, really small jester's hat.

Post Thanks / Like

Commute was borderline religious experience this morning as I pedaled past Gravelly Point....

Name:	2013-01-29 07.22.42.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	2346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-01-29 07.26.24.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	2347

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humidity - it makes DC weather special...

There's something incredibly frustrating about the rapid weather shifts we experience; I don't mind cold, and I don't mind hot, but I mind going from one to the other with great rapidity. Of course, today isn't really going to be 'hot' exactly, but highs around 50 sound awfully warm after last week's highs in the 20s, right? However, despite being more than 15 degrees warmer this morning than mornings were last week, it didn't feel so warm, I believe because of the humidity. This caused me to overdress by one layer. Tomorrow is supposed to be truly warm (over 65?!) but rainy. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and if you're really bored and need something to do with about 13 minutes of your life, consider watching my first ever ride video. I can't promise excitement or thrills, but hopefully you can enjoy the music.