Page 17 of 325 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: My Morning Commute

Post Thanks / Like

I just pretend that I'm a superhero using the darkness to better prey on my malcontents, kind of like this Batman I hear so much about. Given the spandex and affinity for gadgets, I'm just one six pack and a cowel away from being in a Marvel money making scheme.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    What's the similarity between subway commuters and bike commuters?

Neither can fit their asses on/in their seats

[Ug. My repair parts cant come fast enough. Day one of riding the subway commuting. I am getting a 2nd bike for xmas!]
    What exactly happened with your bike? Snapped chain?
    I keep telling myself I need to keep a spare chain or two at home but haven't got around to buying them.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I keep telling myself I need to keep a spare chain or two at home but haven't got around to buying them.
    That's why you've got the multiple bike option.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    "Okay, We learned a lot today!"

Yes, Will. A link busted and the chain fell on the ground, a few houses away from home. I think this is in part because I have been having @#$%@ derailer problems, was headed up a little steep hill, probably had a bad shift, and popped the chain.

From what I see online, chains and cassettes get replaced at the same time, as they wear together. Having a spare chain at home might be a solution, but maybe a short term solution.

I got a Chain Breaker from Santa Amazon. Before I used it, I scrubbed my chain down. Now have a nice shinny chain. Used the chain breaker very successfully. Instead of having a spare chain at home, you might just want to buy a chain breaker. Works wonderfully well and its not hard to use. It wasnt long before I had my chain back on.

Then I took lunch break which involved going down to Phoenix bikes to drop off a bike a neighbor had thrown out. Well, if you go to Phoenix Bikes to drop off a bike, of course you have to come home with one (or two) as well. As Consular suggested, I now have a spare backup bike (25" Trek - gonna use it to attach a dog trailer to). Phoenix also has a sweet, I think it was schwin, tandem with white sidewalls that they are fixing up. Drool drool drool.

Now back to my bike. With the chain cleaned and fixed, and everything else cleaned and adjusted, I still could not get the derailer to work - and was very suspicious of the housing. So off to Velocity Bikes for the first time in Del Ray. This was a most excellent experience. The place was not busy. They kid at the desk was wonderful. Showed me exactly what to do, helped me replace my housing, adjusted it some more ---- and now the derailer is working sweet.

Except.....

Except he pulled out this tool that measures how dead your chain is... and the tool said chain is dead. He said the cogs on the rear were toast as well -- and for that matter on the front as well.

So I now have a working but worn out bike - and a brand new backup / spare / pulling the dog trailer bike. Do I as Santa Amazon for a bike repair stand for xmas and take my good bike apart during winter break?

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't have to change the cassette at the same time as the chain unless you wait too long to replace the chain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    I think I've still got my old wheels from your very same bike if you want to use while you're waiting for warranty replace. -Jeff
    Ended up taking Jeff up on his wheel offer since Jamis is dealing with the hurricane and nor'easter storm. So back in business, but man are those vittoria tires a serious PITA to take off/put on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    You shouldn't have to change the cassette at the same time as the chain unless you wait too long to replace the chain.
    What Sheldon Brown says about changing the chain.

If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.
    If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn. If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.
    If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

Post Thanks / Like

And if you over wear the chain and cassette...then just keep riding till they start skipping when you really put power into your pedal stroke...no point in spending the 75 to 125 bucks now...

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclingeconomist View Post
    And if you over wear the chain and cassette...then just keep riding till they start skipping when you really put power into your pedal stroke...no point in spending the 75 to 125 bucks now...
    Or until it breaks...

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jopamora View Post
    What Sheldon Brown says about changing the chain.
    When I first read this, I read "Alton Brown", and was wondering what the Good Eats guy knew about bikes. Then I learned to read.
    Last edited by dasgeh; 11-13-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Yes, I'm still pregnant. So much for due dates.