Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed bumps installed on W&OD in Vienna!

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone share details on where these are specifically located? Photos of the installation would be great too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Can anyone share details on where these are specifically located? Photos of the installation would be great too.
    Both sides of Cedar Ln on the W&OD about 15' back from the intersection. Despite my cavalier "they aren't a big deal" a guy next to me almost cratered on them yesterday- wet/icy they might actually be dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

There's also a set near park street. This section was recently re striped.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks--both FABB and the Vienna BAC are looking into things and trying to get more information.

If anyone rolls past there on their afternoon commute, can you post a few pictures here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    Both sides of Cedar Ln on the W&OD about 15' back from the intersection. Despite my cavalier "they aren't a big deal" a guy next to me almost cratered on them yesterday- wet/icy they might actually be dangerous.
    And how are you supposed to rollerblade over these things?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnva View Post
    Why get up lots of speed and jump of course... right into Cedar ln.

Post Thanks / Like

I think these rumble strips is danger for new bike riders and children if they don't have both hands on their handle bar.

They should install these rumble strips on the ROAD for cars instead of the trail.

Since the school started, I see many drivers speed up when they see me waiting at the Cedar lane stop sign instead of slowing down.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen them, but since I'm contemplating some new speed skates for off-season training, I am pretty sure the most basic of rumblestrips are quite possibly the kiss of death for anyone rolling on 8 wheels. Even 110mm wheels don't roll over rumblestrips well without a really good sense of balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed that Cedar Lane is a busy road. However, I cross it at rush hour both in the morning and afternoon and don't really have a problem: usually, after I get to the stop sign, the first or second car approaching the intersection stops to let me cross. Drivers at the Park Street crossing also tend to be very considerate.
    Last edited by JimK; 09-18-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnva View Post
    huh. The IHRT has rumble strips (with accompanying bollards) at all the intersections (on the trail, not on the roads, naturally). I never gave them too much thought, probably because they’ve always been there. I find them somewhat annoying, (and to be honest, probably the idea of as much as the reality of them) but had never considered them dangerous (the rumble strips, I mean-- the bollards I have another opinion about). But I don’t rollerblade -- now that’s been pointed out, I can definitely see how that would be a problem. Come to think of it, I have never seen a roller blader out there…

(spell check wants me to say “roller bladder”, which I guess I have never seen either)