Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HRM advice, please

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HRM advice, please

My Garmin "premium" HRM "soft strap" is kaputt. I tried changing the battery but it still works very intermittently. A new one retails ~$45-70. A bit ridiculous for something that lasted 6 months. Any other options for something with ANT+? I have a Garmin Edge 500.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to have to replace them every season or so...

Where did you find just the strap for sale? I ended up getting a new strap and sensor because I could find just the strap by itself.

This is also a good read: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/t...eart-rate.html

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't actually find just the strap for sale - edited my post, although it doesn't show up with a edit on the history.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the old straps with my 800, but I found that they lasted me much longer... I got 3 years out of my old one and it was still going strong when I got my 800. It isn't as comfy as the new one, but it sure lasted well. If I recall correctly, it was about half the price of the new one.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried one of the new garmin straps and it only lasted a few months. I get a few years out of the old style straps. They are cheaper, too.

Post Thanks / Like

What I can add, based on Tim's link to DCRainMaker is that I run my strap under warm water and then smear warm water on my chest where the contacts will rest against my skin. Then I put my HR strap on. I do this before any outing. My HR readings are usually fine. I also make sure my chest strap is fairly tight so I get good contact with the skin. I just wish the Polar straps worked with Garmin products b/c the soft ones are more comfortable than the soft Garmin units.

I think proper care after use is important to keeping the units working too. I rinse with clean water and dry the strap with a towel before I hang it to air dry.

JG
    Last edited by JorgeGortex; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Forgot stuffs

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunked my old school strap (OEM for the Edge 705) a few months ago, and i think it shorted. whatever it was, it never worked again even a few days later.

Heartratemonitorsusa has good prices on straps, and you can usually find an additional percentage off code from retailmenot and they offer free shipping. I just put the old school strap in my cart and with a code, it's only $37.99

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can find my old Garmin HR strap, I would be willing to part with it for less than retail price. I only used it for a few weeks, although that was a few years ago. Do HR straps wear out even if you don't use them? I don't think so. But then I didn't think boots would age. (I once had a pair of nice L.L. Bean boots where the heel completely crumbled, like dust. I hadn't worn them in about a year. When I tried them out again, the heel literally fell off as though it were made of sand!)

It's the older version, not the newer soft strap. But it should be in good working condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the DCRainMaker link (I've read it a couple times before). The issues I've had seemed to indicate a battery life problem, not something with the contacts, because it would work for 10-15 mins and then gradually taper off to giving fewer and fewer readings and then no readings at all. I do wash the strap regularly, mostly because it gets stinky easily.

Strangely, my HRM worked fine on the way home yesterday and this morning. I think it must've overheard my threat to trash it. We'll see how long this lasts...
    Last edited by vvill; 09-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

My strap stopped working a while ago, but the monitor still functions. I was going to try out the Polar Wearlink strap that supposedly works with the Garmin HR transmitter.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/s...utsspikes.html

Anyone else tried that yet?