Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never too early for winter- Lake boots sizing and advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never too early for winter- Lake boots sizing and advice?

I swore to myself during last winter that I wasn't going to get frostbite on my toes again this year (yeah, mild though it was it still got cold a few times). So, I'm looking at a set of Lake boots as my Christmas present to my feets or alternatively the super swanky 45Nrth boots (that seem impossible to find). Does anyone have any feedback on the fit of the Lake's (I'm an average 44) and which model to look for? Anything else I should be looking at? I've used shoe covers for the last few years but they really don't play well with my MTB shoes.

Also, has anyone snagged a good deal on boots anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested, and have a broader question. My old bike had pedals that were SPD on one side and flat on the other. In the winter, I just wore regular winter boots which were compatible with the flat side of the pedal. When I got my new bike, I switched to Look Keo pedals. These pedals are not compatible with street shoes. So I assume my options are:

1. Shoe covers (probably not a great option for my sensitive feet).
    2. Switch the pedals so I can wear my own winter boots.
    3. Lake boots (am I right that this would also involve a pedal switch because they would only be compatible with SPD?)

Am I missing anything?

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Lakes fit a bit big. Mine are the same size as my Sidis, and they definitely fit bigger (which works well, since I'm generally wearing thick socks anyway). The Lakes are awesome, but not super durable/well made. I bought mine in 2005, and they are in the "held together with duct tape and shoo goo" stage.

Didn't Lake pull out of the US market?

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy: I can't speak for the brands you are looking at, but my Pearl Izumi winter boots were sized the same as they're regular shoes and are too tight when I wear mid to heavy weight wool winter socks. I think having a chance to try them on before buying is more important.

Liz: Swapping pedals is so easy, that would be my preference for my commuting bike. Of course, I've got SPD on all my bikes, so I haven't personally faced this dilemma. In addition, I find I'm much more likely to have to walk blocked MUP sections (think snow/rough ice after everyone has run/walked on it or it is too deep to pedal through) on my commute than I am if I'm out for a training ride on the roads.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I splurged earlier this year and spent a whole $10 on clearance toe covers. I hope they do something - my toes never warmed up last winter, which was not so great on the longer rides. If they don't work at all I'll be considering boots as well. My other concern (if there is actually ice around this winter) is putting a foot down on ice when stopped (I have a bike ready with studded tires). I'm considering getting some grippier MTB shoes that take spikes.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear either a 45.5 or 46 in most road shoes. I wear a size 46 in Lake Boots and there's enough room for a little thicker sock. Lakes will likely be a little more difficult to get in the US. I don't think they import them into the US any more. You can still find them on-line.

If price is really a factor, get a good set of flats and use snow boots... or winter hiking boots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    If price is really a factor, get a good set of flats and use snow boots... or winter hiking boots.
    Getting a *deal* is a factor, not price...

Are there other warmish reasonably stiff winter riding boots out there that I should be looking for? (I'll spray insulate and duct-tape my old MTB shoes before I ride 50 miles a day on flats)

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

These appeared at Eurobike recently. I might spring for them if the price is reasonable, I've had an eye on DZR shoes for a while, and I'm probably due for some new shoes. I have 2 pairs of bike shoes, one is a 6 year old heavy Shimano commuter with laces and the other a 10 year old pair of Specialized MTB shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Lake CX140s - I bought them on Nashbar at the beginning of summer - DEAL! I wear a US 11-12 normally and a 46 allows for plenty of sock room. These things have made winter biking fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pfunkallstar View Post
    I love my Lake CX140s - I bought them on Nashbar at the beginning of summer - DEAL! I wear a US 11-12 normally and a 46 allows for plenty of sock room. These things have made winter biking fun.
    Drat, Nashbar has them at a reasonable price but they only have little sizes (39-43) and 50. So, if you have itty bitty wittle feetses (or really big ones) you now have a way of keeping them warm. LINK