Likes Likes:  138
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  12
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Dictionary

Post Thanks / Like

Grasshoppers - those who ride with low seats, noted by their knees poking out to the side (grasshopper roadies are the rarest of these)

What about "Gutter Bunny?"

Is there a term to describe those who transport their high-end carbon bike via car 2 miles to the W&OD on weekends when temps are over 65 degrees?

There's also a group of lycra-roadie types that only wear cycling shorts and therefore do not ride in temps below 60 degrees (may be a subset of the above). (this isn't bashing.. I'm pretty sure this group exists)

Post Thanks / Like

What do we call those who constantly complain about other people's lights? "Mole people"? "Illumigrouches"? "Those Who Must Not Be Seen"?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    What do we call those who constantly complain about other people's lights? "Mole people"? "Illumigrouches"? "Those Who Must Not Be Seen"?
    How about "Those people who care about safety and dont wish to crash."

If your fellow riders consistent make a point about your conduct and behavior, and you continue to ignore it - that's a problem. That's the callous conduct of car drivers we discuss who think they own the world. Your conduct on the trails impacts other people -- sometimes severely. I know personally I have listened to these comments and modified my behavior. I want you to be safe on the trail. mstone, do you want me to be safe on the trail?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Heh I ran across an illumigrouch last night. I could barely see them because they were covering their light from like 1000 feet away. Then I was thinking, wow why doesn't that bike have a light? Bluemont junction be PITCH BLACK. Oh wait - they are covering their light. SHI I BETTER COVER MINE! WAIT HOW DO I COVER MY HELMET LIGHT WHICH I AM USING TO SEE THAT THEY ARE IN FACT COVERING THEIR LIGHT?

"You are blinding me with your light!!!!!!"

Too late.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    Is there a term to describe those who transport their high-end carbon bike via car 2 miles to the W&OD on weekends when temps are over 65 degrees?
    Buyathletes?

There's also a group of lycra-roadie types that only wear cycling shorts and therefore do not ride in temps below 60 degrees (may be a subset of the above). (this isn't bashing.. I'm pretty sure this group exists)
    Sunsuckers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Both Salmon and Retrogrouchery originate from BikeSnobNYC.
    Reminds me - the Snob also gave us "shoaling" which means shoving up to the front of an intersection at a red light instead of staying in single file.

Don't shoal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    How about "Those people who care about safety and dont wish to crash."

If your fellow riders consistent make a point about your conduct and behavior, and you continue to ignore it - that's a problem. That's the callous conduct of car drivers we discuss who think they own the world. Your conduct on the trails impacts other people -- sometimes severely. I know personally I have listened to these comments and modified my behavior. I want you to be safe on the trail. mstone, do you want me to be safe on the trail?
    Thanks for the ad hominem. As a matter of fact, I don't get complaints.

I want everyone to be safe on the trails. I see a lot of people with insufficient illumination. I've never had issues with people blinding me. I suppose I just never encounter those people, but given the constant complaining that seems statistically interesting at the least. Maybe it's a real problem, maybe people like to complain. Maybe I have some unusual ability to not stare at a light. I really don't know. I do worry that people are getting overly paranoid about being too bright on the trails, whereas from where I'm sitting I don't know how you avoid ninja joggers in the deep dark depths of western fairfax and loudon with a see-me lamp. And I cringe at some of the invisible bikers I see on the roads. Overall, I think the cycling community is more likely to err on the side of invisibility than overillumination, and I'd love to see everyone get brighter.

If we were talking about an occasional PSA about being aware of your surroundings, that would be one thing. (And perfectly reasonable.) But the daily complaining is, well, illumigrouchy.

Post Thanks / Like

It cracks me up that you guys are arguing about being safe on the trails. Lighten up you are riding a bike after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnva View Post
    It cracks me up that you guys are arguing about being safe on the trails. Lighten up you are riding a bike after all.
    "Lighten up." Well, yeah, that's the point of having a light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    "Lighten up." Well, yeah, that's the point of having a light.
    All this reading about lights and being blinded by the light.... I started thinking about the song, so how about calling them Manfred Manns.... ( no I have never ridden on a trial in pitch black, I'm still a bike noob )