Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: There goes the neighborhood - Pentagon City

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    Chris,

Thanks for the contact information. I have reported the pot hole problem and the bike lane markings to DES and also reached out to the project manager for the Hayes Street project. DES has logged both issues and the project manager will be meeting with the contractor to discuss the issues I raised. She has promised to get back to me with a response and any actions that will be taken.
    As a Pentagon City resident, thanks for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    The sidewalks are supposed to be widened, but without altering the overpass supports, I don't know how they can fit them in without squeezing everything into the available space. I think the finished design will be an improvement for cyclists and pedestrians, but I don't have a good idea of what it will really look like.
    They're narrowing those crazy-wide lanes down to 10'-10.5' and shrinking the median to make space for a much wider sidewalk (10' clear for the vast majority of the length) and classy streetlights. Also no more death-trap standpipes.

Hopefully the narrower lanes and the fact that it won't look like a *&!^ing freeway anymore will slow drivers down a bit for those of us who would like to ride in the street. The wider sidewalks will definitely be an improvement for those of us who would rather bail to the sidewalk there.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

The WashCycle posted a link to this picture today:

https://twitter.com/FakeDarrenBuck/s.../photo/1/large

I think it's near the main entrance of the Pentagon City mall, on Hayes Street.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me the safest way to get from the Mount Vernon bike path up Army Navy Drive to the Arlington Ridge? It seems that no matter what I try cars are trying to run me down making either left or right turns. I've lived in Arlington for 30 years now, but am new to Pentagon City, and I have never before experienced this level of difficulty biking on Arlington roads. You dudes obviously know more about this area than I do, so I'm hoping you have an answer. Many, many thanks, Mike Hirrel

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hirrel View Post
    Can anyone tell me the safest way to get from the Mount Vernon bike path up Army Navy Drive to the Arlington Ridge? It seems that no matter what I try cars are trying to run me down making either left or right turns. I've lived in Arlington for 30 years now, but am new to Pentagon City, and I have never before experienced this level of difficulty biking on Arlington roads. You dudes obviously know more about this area than I do, so I'm hoping you have an answer. Many, many thanks, Mike Hirrel
    Just sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me the safest way to get from the Mount Vernon bike path up Army Navy Drive to the Arlington Ridge? l
    Mike, I am not sure where on Arlington Ridge you are trying to get to, but here is a route from the Mount Vernon Trail.
    Head west on the Four Mile Run Trail, at Glebe Road (trail splits to the east and west), head west to Meade Street and cross Glebe Road (push Walk button and wait for light to change). Proceed up Meade Street to 28th Street and make a left turn onto 28th Street. Stay on 28th Street until you hit Army-Navy Drive. Make a right on Army-Navy Drive. You then can turn right onto 23rd, 22nd or 20th Street depending on where you want to be on Arlington Ridge Road (caution, these streets have fairly steep hills). Alternatively, you can continue up Army-Navy Drive to Lynn Street, which connects up to Arlington Ridge Road.

Post Thanks / Like

You can take Four Mile run trail from the MVT at the south end of the airport and head West on four mile run. Just before the water treatment plant and just after the electricity sub station you take a right onto South Eads St. This road has a bike path but the markings could do with some fresh paint. Cross over Glebe and head north on Eads.

From Eads turn left on either fort Scott drive or 26 th street both of which are low traffic (but some steep hills). from there you can climb up 23rd to Arlington Ridge or 20th which is a bit less trafficky.

Most of the roads in the Aurora highlands and arlington ridge 'hoods are quiet except for a couple such as 23rd.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, dudes, this is good advice and I'm going to give these a try. I don't fancy being killed on Army Navy Drive by an idiot in an SUV yakking on his celfone. My mom would miss me. Mike

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 on those streets becoming very steep, especially as you approach Arlington Ridge Road from the side. Be prepared for some hard work on that last block going west on 23rd or 20th Streets. For other challenging but short climbs, there is Fort Scott Drive from Eads. Embrace the pain!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, dudes, this is good advice and I'm going to give these a try. I don't fancy being killed on Army Navy Drive by an idiot in an SUV yakking on his celfone. My mom would miss me. Mike
    Because your mom's more careful when talking on her cell phone? Oh, you mean she'd miss you becuse you were killed -- never mind.