Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: sculpture near MVT north of King St

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default sculpture near MVT north of King St

This isn't really a bike question, but I discovered this sculpture on a bicycle a long time ago and someone on here must know about it. I can't remember where it is and want to direct someone there. It's a giant sculpture that faces the Potomac. I think it has a giant face. I can't find it on google maps. It is somewhere between King St and the boardwalk through the swamp. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

You mean this?

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/35408815

It's over by the Canal Center Plaza on the north end of Old Town. I'd guess that most cyclists aren't familiar with it because cyclists are prohibited from riding along the riverside path. I've passed by there on some runs last year. It's a great place to run or walk.

http://goo.gl/maps/eC2bG
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 08-07-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you kidding me?

I've been riding the MVT for over 20 years and have never seen this. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    I've been riding the MVT for over 20 years and have never seen this. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.
    That's because it's not really on the MVT.

It's an interesting sculpture. i have walked down that way a few times although generally in the springtime.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, bikes aren't allowed that way. That's why I've never ever ever ridden my bike there. No, really. Never once.

P.S. Trivia - this is the end of the Alexandria Canal, a spur that once ran from the C&O Canal. It crossed the Potomac via an aqueduct where the Key Bridge is now and ran through Rosslyn down to Alexandria. There's a pool down there where part of the canal was that shows you what it looked like, and a fake lock.

Map:

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/transp.../alexcanal.png
    Last edited by baiskeli; 08-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

The entire park is surreal. It looks like something out of an alternate universe or a weird, historical sci-fi movie come to life. I haven't run down there this year so it's been a while since I've seen it. But I'll have to go back after reading this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Eventually there will be a CaBi station about 4 blocks away from the Canal Center (in the 2nd wave of Alexandria stations). That would be an ideal way to get to the park. Take CaBi to the station and walk over to the riverside park.

P.S. I have no idea when the 1st or 2nd wave of Alexandria stations will be installed. Alexandria is still saying that the first stations will be installed this summer. Not much time left though. The 2nd wave of stations could be added toward the end of the year, or maybe next spring.